General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
I get a blank page on km 74
Posted by: timoch
Date: October 03, 2014 11:02PM

On many web pages, and on most pages under the tools icon (such as preferences, and the km forums, the page opens blank, either white or black. If I minimize the page, then maximize it, it comes up as it should be. What do I need to do to make the page come up right the first time. This has occurred with every release (early betas thru the final) that I've tried.

Also when I click on the favorites star icon, it always opens Internet explorer instead of the favorites imported to km.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I get a blank page on km 74
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 03, 2014 11:24PM

To the first, if I understood:

Go to the URL about:config and add or change the boolean type preference layers.acceleration.disabled to true.

To the second, I have no clue as I don't use it :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2014 11:35PM by JohnHell.

Favorites in KM
Posted by: siria
Date: October 04, 2014 10:17AM

Favorites and Hotlist are very uncomfortable out of the box, could really need some handling improvements sad smiley Bookmarks are much better, but still in need (e.g. new users are led to think there were not even any search function)

timoch
Also when I click on the favorites star icon, it always opens Internet explorer instead of the favorites imported to km.

IE?? That really cannot be. Could it be you mean the windows explorer / filemanager?
If yes, that is intentional. I suppose it's a traditional thing, was intruced that way 20 years ago and skin creators never changed it as default?? Anyway, the menu appears on right-click. Especially for Favorites it would be far better on left-click, but at least you can change that yourself, like all buttons in KM.

How to: edit the toolsbars.cfg in the current skin (Menu Edit>Config>Toolbars) and replace "favorites(Edit)|F&avorites" with just "F&avorites".
Since button functions are a skin-creator choice, chances are high, if you try another skin, you'll have to modify the button yourself again. Or you could also hide that button completely if you prefer, because for people using the Fav-Toolbar that comes with an own button, with the menu by default on left-click already.

Another thing: You say "imported".
For the FAVORITES plugin there is no import, that is just showing and sharing the existing IE favorites. If you modify them in one browser, they appear also modified in the other (in KM appears after next restart).
But the BOOKMARKS plugin does "import" the IE favorites, which then are independant and copied!
Not sure which of the 2 plugins you are really using, or perhaps both at the same time.
By default only "Bookmarks" plugin is enabled, the other two (Favorites and Hotlist plugin) must be switched on by users themselves, if they prefer it. F2/K-Meleon Plugins...

Re: Favorites in KM
Date: October 05, 2014 04:15PM

@JohnHell
Thanks for the info. It seemed to help in some cases, but when I went to reply to this thread, the page came up black, almost as if it had opened a new tab, but no tab was shown on the tab bar. This same thing occurs on the first opening of some urls upon the first opening during a new session with km, but not on subsequent openings. It almost seems to be random. This has occurred to me since the the installation of the early betas of km74.

In an attempt to correct the possibility of registry settings, I tried a complete uninstall with Revo, and a fresh installation, but to no avail.

@siria
Thank you for your input. You were right, I was opening IE/file manager, in Vista, was mistaking it for ie, then file manager was taking me to ie. I will now use the right click. I have been using km since .6 and never had this occur until km 74.

Date: October 05, 2014 07:19PM

Faves: to my knowledge that button has always worked that way in the past too, EXCEPT if you changed it somewhere along the way smiling smiley Or used my classiria skin, which opens the menu by left click by default (hardcoded in toolbars.cfg, as described)

To get a really clean TEST installation it would be safest to use the portable version and just unzip it. With setup versions I'd never quite trust if there aren't any relics in the profile folder in the user account.

PS: another thought: are you using the english version? If yes, does Help>Welcome page appear when you call it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2014 07:22PM by siria.

Date: October 05, 2014 11:46PM

RE siria

This time when I replied, the page blank white. I really didn't change anything under config, I know better. Yes, I am using the English version. Under the help, welcom to K-Meleon comes up. Oddly enough, when I opened another tab to re-read your reply, the page came up blank black. When I right clicked on the middle of the blank page, the km page at sourceforge came up. Go figure.

I get a blank page on km 74
Date: October 06, 2014 12:14AM

timoch
Under the help, welcom to K-Meleon comes up. Oddly enough, when I opened another tab to re-read your reply, the page came up blank black. When I right clicked on the middle of the blank page, the km page at sourceforge came up. Go figure.

Now that is interesting. The welcome page apparently was still active in the background? Perhaps Dorian can figure it out, can remember in the past there were sometimes weird things in special system settings combined with special KM settings. Like tabs above or at bottom, with or without buttons fixed to them, with or without that aero-thing in Vista, with or without toolbar background, or without toolbar lines, or tabs with X for closing, or tab min-size too small or big or whatever... etc. etc.
Personally I can test it only offline in Vista, my online machine is win98 so cannot tell much myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 12:15AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.