General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
help finding a plugin or utility for rescaling images?
Posted by: frascati
Date: February 27, 2010 04:36PM

I've asked everywhere. Adobe forums, computing forums, CAD forums, Graphics forums, etc, etc. No help at all. I'm trying to scale a pdf (or any image ideally) to precise dimensions for printout.
For instance, using this image...
http://zaphaudio.com/WaveguideTMM-profile.pdf
...there is a 39mm dimension at the 'throat' of that cone in the drawing. The original artist may, or may not, have scaled it appropriatly for printing. Every editor and graphic program I've tried so far only allows me to adjust the ENTIRE image. I have no way of knowing the dimension of the image from edge to edge since it's not specified in the drawing. I would need to print, measure with a wooden ruler, adjust scale, print, measure with a wooden ruler, adjust scale.... on and on. I'm looking for a utility that would allow me to click on one point, say one side of that 'throat' for instance, drag cursor, click on the other side, input cm into a box, save and print. Voila! No?
I think Adobe illustrator, for a lot of money and a learning curve, might accomplish what I've described. But it's such a useful feature on it's own for printing and scaling that it's hard to believe that it doesn't exist else where in a smaller, hopefully open source, utility.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help finding a plugin or utility for rescaling images?
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 28, 2010 10:25PM

Try Foxit - else a pdf authoring tool.

Normal images Irfan View does most.
XNView has even more formats.

Posted by: slayer
Date: February 28, 2010 10:56PM

You could try GhostScript + GSView and extract the whole images from the pdf, then perform a Batch Operation from IrfanView to shrink the images.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 04, 2010 05:00PM

Funny, this happens a lot around the web.

First, the author didn't export the graphic as an image inside the pdf, that gets things more complicated, and then he didn't provide anywhere with the dots per inch or any measurable table to take to convert the graph.

Ok, open the PDF directly with Photoshop at 600ppp. The throat you are talking about inside photoshop is 26.9 milimeters.

Go to change the image size and in the milimeters box change the value with a simple rule of three calculation:

If with a draw of 215,9 mm of wide we have a 26,9mm throat, 39mm will be on a draw of X, where X is 313.02 (photoshop will round to 313.01 when you select keep aspect ratio) and voilà!! you have your 39mm throat. The rest of distance matches too.

Oh, and report to authors because it's the only way to end with this things. I hate when it happens.

Posted by: mename
Date: February 08, 2011 06:21PM

I think this is what you want although not free
http://scaleprint.com/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.