General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
New window for clicked links
Posted by: L33w
Date: July 05, 2010 03:46AM

I use version 1.02 on XP SP3. I've tried to adjust the settings so that when I click on a page link or a bookmark, it will always open a new layer rather than clobber the current page, but I haven't gotten it right yet. Would someone please advise? BTW, what was so bad about using tabs?; it seemed more transparent to me. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New window for clicked links
Posted by: siria
Date: July 05, 2010 07:23AM

Tabs work perfect in current version, as well as opening links in new tabs. XP can handle 1.5.4 perfectly well. Why not update??? :cool:

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 05, 2010 03:14PM

L33w
I use version 1.02 on XP SP3. I've tried to adjust the settings so that when I click on a page link or a bookmark, it will always open a new layer rather than clobber the current page, but I haven't gotten it right yet. Would someone please advise? BTW, what was so bad about using tabs?; it seemed more transparent to me. Thank you.

l33w,

I too stayed with KM 1.0.2 for a long time, mainly because I was used to the older KM scripting language. It took some work and some help from people here, but I made the change to KM 1.5.xxx some time ago and have never looked back. The new macro scripting language is harder to master, but there are so many macros that do so much more now than before, that 90% of what I wanted has already been produced by somebody here and in the few places where I needed something specific, I just posted a help query here and someone either had a solution made already or made a solution on the spot to solve my needs.

Nice. <g>

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 05, 2010 09:32PM

L33w
I use version 1.02 on XP SP3.

I've tried to adjust the settings so that when I click on a page link or a bookmark, it will always open a new layer rather than clobber the current page, but I haven't gotten it right yet. Would someone please advise?

BTW, what was so bad about using tabs?; it seemed more transparent to me. Thank you.

1.) Maybe use GRE update by desga2 / more security.
Or change to a more modern version? / more features and security.

2.) Advanced Preferences -> Browsing -> Browsing Options // General & Layered Browsing & Window Diverssion to fine tune.

Chose in General: Bookmarks and change default behaviour

But I am not sure whether the 1.0.2 version did have all current options to open by default in new layer/tab.

3.) You mean Layer versus Tabs?

Layers are technically new browsers. Tabs are a tabs in an existing browser.

The change to tabs was made because they are conserving resources better and the techno offers better sessions recovery after crashes. That is all I remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 09:34PM by guenter.

Posted by: Dale
Date: December 18, 2010 07:24AM

I am trying to solve a similar issue. Whenever I click on a link in Favorites
a new window is always opened. How do I set to open a new tab?

Posted by: CJ
Date: December 18, 2010 08:05AM

Dale
I am trying to solve a similar issue. Whenever I click on a link in Favorites
a new window is always opened. How do I set to open a new tab?

This works for me:
Go to Edit - Preferences - Browsing
Drop the open box and select "In a new tab" wherever applicable.

Then under the Window Diversion tab select : "In a new tab" for either or both options in the Open box as you wish.

I also select the bottom setting under Popup Window Diversion. Note that the effect of this depends on the Open option you set above.

Basically for me this means everthing goes to a new tab unless it specifically requires a window.

Cheers,
CJ

Date: December 18, 2010 08:12PM

Thank you CJ. This is all very strange as nothing I do helps. I did all that you
said and still every link in the Favorites list opens a new window. Perhaps you
have additional ideas?

Date: December 18, 2010 09:41PM

How do you open the favorites, from an explorer folder?
As already described, click F2 (> Browsing > General), open the dropdown menu of "typed url", choose Internet explorer favorites and choose your settings.

Or do you mean when opening favorites from inside KM?
Then click Favorites > Options and choose your settings.

Should work, really...

Date: December 19, 2010 03:31PM

Yes, Siria sorry that I was not clear. It is when I have to click Favorites
and then Edit to open the Favorites folder. If I then click on a Favorites
link it is always going to open a new window. Very annoying.

Date: December 19, 2010 03:45PM

Well, an image says more than 1000 words, so... :cool:
Please double-check if you've really checked the "new tab" for Favorites too??

Date: December 20, 2010 04:31AM

Things just keep getting weirder. I have repeatedly tried on every K-Meleon
that I have. But they always revert back to the Typed URLs setting whenever I
switch to Internet Explorer Favorites in Browsing Options.

Date: December 20, 2010 05:30AM

It'a dropdown list, for various things, like Typed URLs, Favorites, etc. They are independant from each other, so *after* clicking on "Favorites", you must check "New Tab" for it (or whatever one prefers.).
Sure, after closing and reopening that preferences sheet, the dropdown field always shows the top entry first, that's normal. The setting that is shown below it, belongs to this currently displayed entry only, which of course has nothing to do with the individual settings for the other stuff in the dropdown list. They are independant! Just flip up the dropdown list again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 05:33AM by siria.

Date: December 20, 2010 05:34PM

Okay, I understand now. But the real problem is that I can't get it to do
anything. Whenever I open the Favorites folder and click on a link it is
always opened in a new window. I do set the browsers as per your picture
and then restart the browser. I have also read the thread titled
right... here we go again.. Still no solutions.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 20, 2010 08:49PM

The most common reason why a setting does not stick is no right to write in the profiles folder. Quite common with Vista. smiling smiley

A thing to try is start K-Meleon with the param that it must not lower its rights. "path\K-Meleon\k-meleon.exe -norestrict". An change the settings and look whether taht sticks.

Else make sure that You have writing privileges in K-Meleon Profiles folder.
If needed right-click on the folder & change properties of ownership to the K-Meleon user and grant them manually.

Date: December 21, 2010 12:00AM

Dale -- It is normal for a link in the Favorites folder -- in a Windows Explorer or any other file manager window -- to open in a new browser window. Hard to get Windows, any version, to do otherwise, I would think.

There is a simple workaround; just remember to open a new tab before you open the Favorites folder, and drag the link into it. Voilá.

Working strictly within K-M (Preferences -- K-Meleon Plugins - IE Favorites / General), you can have the Favorites menu links open any way you want.

I don't know what one might do with an older version. I've kept up-to-date since I started using K-M with version 0.something.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.