General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Scroogle and K-Meleon ???
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: May 08, 2010 11:00AM

I just found out about Scroogle today ... a lot of people seem to be not very happy with the latest changes to the Google search page. At The Un-Official Proxomitron Forum there has been a little discussion on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
May 07, 2010

RE: Google new look update!

That is NOT new. I posted here months ago about it. At that time only Fx users with certain IP's were getting that crap. Today, Google has made it for everyone and every browser.

There is a thread at dslreports about it and most are howling. They HATE it and want to know how to get rid of it. I too want a filter to get rid of it! Plus, as of today, Proxo is NOT filtering the sponsored links on the right except on Opera. But not on Fx or IE.

I stopped using Google much when they decided to include me and Fx involuntarily in their beta for this crap they have unleashed on everyone. I mostly use Scroogle now but in case I do want to use Google, I would enjoy a filter to put Google search page and results back to normal. I don't like the new search page either besides the awful results page.

Plus, Proxo filter for the drop down Suggestions is no longer working. I hate that more than anything else about Google.

The irony is that I rarely use Bing but I like how Microsoft has done it. It looks much nicer. Google's search is so ugly. But Bing has those horrible drop down suggestions crap also. Thank God for Scroogle with none of the crap. But Scroogle needs a Proxo toggle switch to turn on/off the diatribes about Google. I have read all of them. Some are very interesting (and the photo of Sergi in drag is hilarious). But some of the diatribes are very long, very in your face and I don't want to see that every search so a toggle switch would be really nice.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is an Add-ON for Scroogle for Firefox:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/12506

... I could find nothing in searching the KM Forum about Scroogle. Could there also be an Add-On of some sort for K-Meleon in regards to Scroogle? It would probably work if I could add Scroogle to: Tools / Web Search ... I could put a "check mark" on it there and still have the other search sites available. I don't exactly know how to go about doing that. Any other suggestions appreciated. This is the Scroogle search page that I would like (maybe others also) to have added to the Web Search tab:

http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html

*Extra link:

http://scroogle.org/

Thanks ...

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 11:44AM by duffy2009.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scroogle and K-Meleon ???
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 08, 2010 11:39AM

Try with Your usual search "Scroogle kmeleon.sourceforge.net".
Forum search does not work too well. sad smiley

Else

F2 -> Finding Websites -> Search Engine -> press Add

The strings You add for caption and URL are AFAIK:

Scroogle

http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=";

Click quote or copy link location to extract the URL sting You need.

Then F2 -> Finding Websites -> Web Search & chose to add or edit existing ones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 11:40AM by guenter.

Date: May 08, 2010 12:16PM

guenter ... thanks for the advice on how to add Scroogle to the Finding Websites / Search Engine page. I have done it twice and the Scroogle info isn't there for later use. I can see it as being added but when I close everything and restart K-Meleon, there is no Scroogle ... I'd like it to also show up on the Tools / Web Search tab. ... but first I have to figure why it isn't saved by adding it the way you said to do so. It also doesn't show up so it can be added to Web Search.

Click quote or copy link location to extract the URL sting You need.

Then F2 -> Finding Websites -> Web Search & chose to add or edit existing ones

*** I have tried several times more to add Scroogle to the Search Engine. I add it, I see it as being added but when I close the Preference page and go back to check it again, it is no longer there. I have done this several times and it doesn't get saved. Just disappears.

*** I have also tried deleting some of those search engines but when I close out Preferences the deleted search engines are still there. I am using the new KM v1.5.4 ... what is missing from my setup?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 12:50PM by duffy2009.

Date: May 08, 2010 01:27PM

The problem IMHO indicates that You have no writing privileges to the profile directory. Can happen e.g. on non default profile location...

Solution: Grant rights manually. Right click on Profile Directory and change properties via Windows Properties menu so that You are the owner and have write access (which gives them to K-Meleon.exe while You use it).

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 08, 2010 04:07PM
Date: May 08, 2010 05:31PM

Thanks disrupted ... I spent some time at that thread and I'm not getting too much out of it. I just wanted to be able to add Scroogle to my Tools / Web Search like guenter showed me how to do in an earlier reply. However, for some reason I can't get any changes to become permanent. I have decided to just add Scroogle to my Favorites folder and I can click on it there to do my searching. That will work for me. I really would like to know why I can not add or change anything for Web Search since I am using Win 98SE. I may remove K-Meleon completely and reinstall it to see if I missed some settings when I installed this new version the first time. I have the Profiles folder in the KM folder as of now, which is where I want it. I am in no mood to re-install K-Meleon today and fool around setting everything up again. Maybe another day for that project. If I decide to do this later on ... what settings should I watch out for so that I don't have Administrator Rights set up again. I only remember settings for not having the "Profiles folder" put into the Windows folder and instead into the K-Meleon folder. Like I said earlier, having Scroogle in the Favorites will work for me now. thanks for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:32PM by duffy2009.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 08, 2010 05:43PM

I don't think there's such a thing as Administrator Rights build into KM, at least I haven't noticed it anywhere yet in years on Win98SE too ;-)

By the way what you can try easily, without touching your existing profile, is to simply add a new one. You can have as many as you wish, with different settings for each! Just click Edit > Manage Profiles, create a new one, and IMPORTANT: check that "ask at startup" box. This is just for testing, later you can disable that startup question again, then KM will use the last-used-profile at startup.

Date: May 08, 2010 05:56PM

siria ... Ok I will give your suggestion a try ... add a new profile. I would like to get this thing figured out. It's bothering me why I can't make the changes to the Search Engine file as guenter posted earlier. There's something not right with my K-Meleon installation and I'd like to get it figured out and fixed. thanks for the help.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: May 08, 2010 06:24PM

Hi,
just to get that straight:

I only remember settings for not having the "Profiles folder" put into the Windows folder and instead into the K-Meleon folder.

This is NOT the choice you get. The choice is between
    (a) C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\ - The K-M folder in "Program Files"
    (what you have now, and this should be oK on Win98SE)
    (b) your Application Data folder (in your "User Profile"(find it's path:
    ->Start ->Run, type %appdata%, hit enter - the folder opening in explorer is your appdata folder.
    If you choose that, the instRoutine makes a 1234wert.default folder inside a Profiles folder
    inside a K-Meleon folder inside that AppData Folder - which should be oK, too.

The problem with your problem is: nobody has a clue!
Maybe go back to the basics:
Leave your existing installation alone, where it is.
Download the 7zip-version7zip-version

Unzip to a new folder on your desktop,
open that folder, find the K-Meleon.exe file, double-click
Don't configure anything else, just try adding ONE search
Try to stick to the instructions for that minutely.

I remember one installation I had (not 1.54) where changes in F2 -> Finding Websites -> Search Engines tab -> Add... did not show up before restart.
Only after that could I make them available by adding under F2 -> Finding Websites -> Web Search tab -> Add Entry.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 06:27PM by SoerenB.

Date: May 08, 2010 06:38PM

siria ... OK, tried to create a new Profile. Tried three times but no new Profile is ever created. It asks for a name in that box ... I tried duffy twice and "new" once ... I see only the default Profile. I checked the box as you said and I get asked nothing ... KM just starts up. It sure seems like KM must have Administrator Rights on my machine. Can't seem to change nothing concerning K-Meleon. I am going to go to another notebook computer and try everything out on it. Maybe I will get lucky in that K-Meleon didn't set up Administrator Rights on that machine. It's also Windows 98SE.

Date: May 08, 2010 06:44PM

SoerenB ... yes, I was aware that the KM folder sits in the Windows / AppData Folder ... I just didn't add the AppData Folder ... there is a KM folder there that is empty. I am going to go to another computer with Win 98SE on it. With luck, KM didn't set up Administration Rights on that notebook. This one seems to be "locked".

thanks ...

Posted by: disrupted
Date: May 08, 2010 07:26PM

are you using loader.exe? if yes, you might need to exit loader first before setting changes or use new restart extension

p.s haven't used scroogle in a long while, forgot it was a .org and typed .com instead...not a nice surprise! anyway, might make a css for scroogle, needs some beautifying

in ancient times: all roads lead to rome
internet: (apparently)all websites lead to porrn

Posted by: siria
Date: May 08, 2010 07:44PM

It really can't be K-Meleon itself, if it's Win98SE, that's the only thing that's sure!

As I wrote in your other thread: Is your profile folder set to read-only or such?? That is possible in Win98 too, and happens quite often automatically if a zip-program unzips and saves something on disk....
Or it might also be some security program, like a firewall or virus scanner or such, that prohibits you from writing, but it becomes clearer and clearer that it's on that end you must search now...

Date: May 08, 2010 08:07PM

siria ... well I fired up the other computer and exactly the same problem. I can't make any changes to anything. So I uninstalled K-Meleon, ran CCleaner and my registry cleaners to take all KM references off the hard drive. Reinstalled K-Meleon and all is well. I can add Scroogle (have added) to Web Search, also able to delete and edit entries in Search Engines. The only thing that I have not done so far is install Ext Manager 5.5 and a few Plugins with Ext Manager. I had Spell Check, Policies Manager, a YouTube plugin ... I don't plan on putting Policies Manager back on, didn't really use it. Maybe one of the Plugins messed something up. As I put each plugin on I will check the Search Engine to see if I can still make changes.
Thanks everybody for all the help, didn't want to have to go this route ... take off KM, install it again, do all the settings but it seems to be the only solution to my problem. I will post again if I discover a plugin or something that caused the problem in the first place. thanks ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 08:09PM by duffy2009.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: May 17, 2010 07:28AM

The usual way that W98 makes a folder ReadOnly is when you restore it from a CD-R or DVD. It always becomes Readonly because W98 thinks the optical media is readonly.

Posted by: slayer
Date: July 02, 2010 12:40AM

Scroogle
Now it seems like it actually might be gone forever.
sad smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 02, 2010 02:17AM

slayer
Scroogle
Now it seems like it actually might be gone forever.
sad smiley

Slayer,

I certainly hope not, as I see no good alternative out there.

https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=

P.S. Is Bing's privacy policy good enough to make it a temporary substitute for Scroogle (hoping it will come back once again)???

http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/bing.mspx

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 02:20AM by ndebord.

Posted by: mhf
Date: July 02, 2010 11:47AM

Some alternatives to Scroogle (if you don't know them already) :
Yauba
ixquick

Date: July 02, 2010 01:49PM

mhf
Some alternatives to Scroogle (if you don't know them already) :
Yauba
ixquick

mhf,

Have tried both, but neither are as good to my mind. Caveat: not enough experimentation on my part yet.

N

Date: July 02, 2010 09:25PM

Yauba looks interesting, but there is long variable as a parameter, how do I create a search string from it? It seems generated at random.

Posted by: mhf
Date: July 02, 2010 10:00PM

@ slayer : I don't know either and that string is random...

Date: July 03, 2010 02:59AM

slayer
Yauba looks interesting, but there is long variable as a parameter, how do I create a search string from it? It seems generated at random.

Slayer,

This string seems to work for me.

http://www.yauba.com/?vid=&q=

http: // www. yauba. com/?vid=&q=

N

Date: July 06, 2010 01:34AM

More problems :Malware visits Scroogle.org (it is very techie)

Posted by: Frank
Date: July 07, 2010 08:43AM

Seems scroogle scraper is working now ? Anyone else tried it now ?

Frank

Posted by: Matt
Date: July 07, 2010 09:24AM

Yes, https://ssl.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw= is up again!

Posted by: yaubatised
Date: October 27, 2010 08:41AM

Hey, yauba is looking good.

If you only want Internet Sites results use this string:

http://www.yauba.com/?vid=&target=websites&q=

If you want a simple url for yauba search and anonymous surf proxy try this:

http://anony.yauba.com/nph-x.cgi

Posted by: yaubatised
Date: October 27, 2010 09:45AM

I neglected to mention that adding &lout=txt to the search string delivers the non javascript version of the search page, an important option for F7 fanciers.

http://www.yauba.com/?vid=&target=websites&lout=txt&q=

Also consider language option:

http://de.yauba.com/?vid=&target=websites&lout=txt&q=

To privacy!
cheers

Date: October 27, 2010 07:50PM

yaubatised
yauba is looking good.

There is a thread about updating and adding new Search Engines to 1.6 in the Dev Forum.

Maybe repost there - if You tested it and think it is good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2010 07:52PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.