General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to open a new tab but keep the focus on the old one?
Posted by: Rain
Date: August 16, 2014 06:24PM

For example if i would go to the KM Forum and would like to open the "General" section in a new tab, how do i do that but KEEP the focus on my current TAB/PAGE?

I'n Opera i believe it was by holding down CTRL but with KM, if you hold down CTRL while tring to open a page/section it goes to that new tab imediately.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to open a new tab but keep the focus on the old one?
Posted by: Zero3K
Date: August 16, 2014 06:53PM

Rain
For example if i would go to the KM Forum and would like to open the "General" section in a new tab, how do i do that but KEEP the focus on my current TAB/PAGE?

I'n Opera i believe it was by holding down CTRL but with KM, if you hold down CTRL while tring to open a page/section it goes to that new tab imediately.

Hold down Shift and Ctrl when clicking a link in order to have it open in a background tab.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 16, 2014 08:18PM

I'm simply using a middle-click. The Firefox way, it's a setting.
How to:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

Thinking about it, looking at that table, Seamonkey way is far better! Have just switched myself! It additionally allows to use Shift+Left for "Save Link As", wish I'd noticed that years ago grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2014 08:22PM by siria.

Date: August 24, 2014 08:24AM

Zero3K
Hold down Shift and Ctrl when clicking a link in order to have it open in a background tab.

Thats not what i asked, i was talking about if theres a button or key combination on how to open a tab but not focus on it right away.

Just like in SeaMonkey (holding down CTRL)

siria
Thinking about it, looking at that table, Seamonkey way is far better! Have just switched myself! It additionally allows to use Shift+Left for "Save Link As", wish I'd noticed that years ago grinning smiley

SeaMonkey uses aprox 40 MB of ram more then KM, not to mention web-navigation is a lot slower then K-Meleon.

But, thanks to your link i was able to obtain what i wanted. Thanks siria!

Preferences>Tools>Mouse Accelerators>SeaMonkey

Odd, the Opera Mouse Accelerator does not work like in Opera, perhaps it's based on a very old version of opera?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 08:31AM by Rain.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2014 01:11PM

Rain
Thats not what i asked, i was talking about if theres a button or key combination on how to open a tab but not focus on it right away.

I think this macro will provide what you want. You may change the required keys if you desire.

opnblkbgtab.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
# File name: opnblkbgtab.kmm
# ---------- Open a blank background tab

opnblkbgtab_do { 
$_opnblkbgtab_url = "about:blank";
openbgtab ( $_opnblkbgtab_url );
 }

_opnblkbgtab_setaccels{
if($kTabs){
	setaccel ("CTRL B", "macros(opnblkbgtab_do)");
	}
}

#---------------------------------------------
$OnInit=$OnInit."_opnblkbgtab_setaccels;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."opnblkbgtab;";

Posted by: siria
Date: August 24, 2014 01:56PM

Oh yes, KM is slightly old-fashioned, and those accel presets probably date back to the first time this function was added... Just a hint, nearly all of the wiki is more or less outdated, most parts are ages old. Only the download page, news, a few chapters of the faq and an odd bit here and there still get occasionally updated. But one can always ask in the forum.

Glad you found what you needed, although not the slightest idea what you meant really, like the rest of us here ;-)
At the moment my best guess would be, perhaps you wanted to know where the settings can be found...? If yes, that mouse accels menu is just one of several possibilities. There are more ways in the menu Edit/Configuration, allowing to tweak every single button and shortcut and menu line. Although that requires manual editing, so is more work. Or perhaps you wanted a little popup menu offering each time the various opening choices?? But then again, that's already there at a simple right-click.

General tip: There are lots of right-click options in KM, also on some buttons, what most people overlook because they expect a little arrow for that. It's not there in KM to save space. So when searching for a function, I'd first try right-clicking everywhere, on buttons, tabs, links, images, selected text, etc. :cool:

SeaMonkey uses aprox 40 MB of ram more then KM, not to mention web-navigation is a lot slower then K-Meleon.

Oh I didn't actually mean to use it as browser, just to set the same shortcut settings, as seen in the table column.

Date: August 24, 2014 06:47PM

siria
Just a hint, nearly all of the wiki is more or less outdated, most parts are ages old. Only the download page, news, a few chapters of the faq and an odd bit here and there still get occasionally updated. But one can always ask in the forum.

I've noticed, thats why i'm tring to create my threads as specific as possible so it wqill help for others who might encounter the same problems that i have or the same questions.

siria
Glad you found what you needed, although not the slightest idea what you meant really, like the rest of us here ;-)

When you click a page/link, it automatically loads in a new tab to your right and it automatically focuses on it (switches to it imedietly) if you are looking in some thread and want to open multiple threads/pages it's a bitch if it keeps on swiithing to the new tab everytime. Thats what i was tring to say above.

KMs default settings make it to do this everytime you open a page/link, while if you check the SeaMonkey mode in the Mouse Accelerators section, if you hold down CTRL instead of opening your thread/page/link in a new tab and swithing to it imediately it just openes it to your right but does NOT focus on it right away, giving you more time to "meditate" on your curent page that you are visiting.

BTW

Thanks for your help as well James.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2014 06:50PM by Rain.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 24, 2014 07:14PM

Rain

Sorry, but I did not get the "link" part of your request before.

Just use EDIT - CONFIGURATION - ACCELERATORS and add the following line.

ALT LButton = ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUNDTAB

Save the file and I always restart KM just in case. You can use CTRL in place of ALT. I already had done a CTRL LButton for someone.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.