Date: August 25, 2010 07:45AM

Hi,

can someone help pls smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to ugrade from KM 1.5 to 1.6 without installer
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: August 25, 2010 09:16AM

Hi, speedy,

there's no way to an in-place upgrade yet, and 1.6 is still in alpha stage ....
Even desga2's cp3 version, which can be found here is about to see some more versions before the final 1.6.0 is ready - and any change could require a completely new installation.

What you can do safely, is:
a) Leave your 1.5.4 installation alone for a start, to always serve as a backup.

b) Make an extra single user installation: Unzipping the downloaded file on your desktop gives you a folder called "K-Meleon1.6a4_cp3". Why not just rename to "km16"& use it from there?

c) Add shortcuts to 1.6 / edit your 1.5 shortcuts: to be able to run both versions at the same time (thus easing the transfer of your settings), both k-meleon.exe's must be run with the "-new" commandline option from now on:

Rightclick the shortcut(s) for 1.5, click "Properties", replace it's name in the editfield by km154, add " -new" (no quotes, but the starting blank is important) at the end of the "Target" editfield, click "Apply", click "OK".

For the 1.6: Open the "km16" folder, rightclick the k-meleon.exe, click "Send Shortcut to Desktop". Find that shortcut rightclick, name: "km16cp" ...etcetera ...

You are now ready to use both installations, even at the same time. Only when you're 150% satisfied with the 1.6, you replace your 1.5.4 by your 1.6.0cp3 (just copying, not moving!):

Copy to your "Program Files" -> "K-Meleon" folder (after having deleted it's old content) ALL files EXCEPT the profile.ini and ALL subfolders EXCEPT the "Profiles".

Copy to your "UserAppData" -> "K-Meleon" -> "!*!*!*!*.default" folder (after having deleted it's old content) ALL the content from your desktops "km16" -> "Profiles" -> "+!+!+!+!.default" folder.

Test - enjoy - just keep in mind you're starting your brand new "installed multi user version 1.6.0.a4cp3" when you click that km154 shortcut, from now on. Maybe by now it's time to repeat the whole process for an even newer version?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 09:17AM by SoerenB.

Re: How to ugrade from KM 1.5 to 1.6 without installer
Posted by: Speedygonzales
Date: August 25, 2010 09:36AM

Hi Soeren,

Thank you very much for fast input. I really like KM and i am always exited whenever i new version comes up.

Before your message i followed a slightly different way of updating.

1- I unsinstalled KM 1.5 completely (without removing the current profile)
2- Exracted the contends of 1.6 to the programs files\K-Meleon folder.
3- Send the k-meleon.exe shotcut to the desktop

I have been using it for a day and it seems to be ok. I had no crash till now.

Do you think i can live with this?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.