General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Amazingly fast ...
Date: May 31, 2010 01:24AM

I'm developing some new stuff in an environment which has mobile connection; useless to say, that is extremely slow. AOL-browser, for example, takes forever to load any page. I'm testing 'every browser I can find' to see, if my project turns out right. So, I got to K-Meleon ... amazing ... I've just tested it on the extremely heavy Tagged.com community and it passed 100%. No errors, which I get with other browsers and it loads extremely fast.

Please, keep it this way and don't add too much crap from external developers.

That includes :
- Yahoo-crap
- jQuiry-shit
- and other bullocks.

Keep it as clean as possible.

Don't get me wrong, but some developers like 'fading' and that sort of crap. Even Google introduced that 'shit'. It takes forever to load and besides that, it is very irritating. I will develop some sites with these features, but they will be for the fans of 'gadgets'. Keep K-Meleon clean.

Kindest regards to the developers, my compliments. It is still the fastest browser.

- Igor Marcellino -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Amazingly fast ...
Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 31, 2010 01:38PM

PortalPress.org

I'm developing some new stuff in an environment which has mobile connection; useless to say, that is extremely slow. AOL-browser, for example, takes forever to load any page. I'm testing 'every browser I can find' to see, if my project turns out right. So, I got to K-Meleon ... amazing ... I've just tested it on the extremely heavy Tagged.com community and it passed 100%. No errors, which I get with other browsers and it loads extremely fast.

- Igor Marcellino -

I would be curious to find out which version of KM you are using?

N

Date: May 31, 2010 05:32PM

@N

No idea which version, but I downloaded K-Meleon the other day to check some 'different' browsers from the 'usual' [Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape (dead), Opera, Chrome, Safari, Flock etc ...] and I know it might have some visual 'bugs' on different sites then mine (he he ... mine works perfect, despite it's dynamic software) but it loads pages extremely fast. And I'm working mobile, so my connection is EXTREMELY SLOW. Still, it loads extremely fast and without errors when posting. It's just amazing.

Maybe they should keep this version in the fridge and make a special mobile browser of it, as I'm sure, K-Meleon will for sure win from all other mobile browsers.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 31, 2010 07:28PM

Hi, glad you like it, I like it too grinning smiley
It always amazes me how new people come and post that K-Meleon is SO impressive faster than their other browsers, but when there are comparisons in 'professional' PC mags, they make it in such a gimmick-heavy environment and probably lots of the newest scripts, that KM lands at best somewhere in the middle field, if not even at the low end :-(
Hopefully KM 1.6 with gecko 1.9 will progress soon out of alpha state smiling smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 01, 2010 12:21AM

PortalPress.org
@N

No idea which version, but I downloaded K-Meleon the other day to check some 'different' browsers from the 'usual' [Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape (dead), Opera, Chrome, Safari, Flock etc ...] and I know it might have some visual 'bugs' on different sites then mine (he he ... mine works perfect, despite it's dynamic software) but it loads pages extremely fast. And I'm working mobile, so my connection is EXTREMELY SLOW. Still, it loads extremely fast and without errors when posting. It's just amazing.

Maybe they should keep this version in the fridge and make a special mobile browser of it, as I'm sure, K-Meleon will for sure win from all other mobile browsers.

Portal,

Yup, mobile... I was doing something similar a few years ago with KM. I had T-Mobile's EDGE data service on a PCMCIA card on my laptop, which was supposed to be ISDN speed, but in reality, was only slightly faster than dial-up. KM ran well when nothing else did.

Help/About tells me I'm running this version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; others; rv:1.8.1.24) Gecko/20100228 K-Meleon/1.5.4

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 12:21AM by ndebord.

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 02, 2010 04:02PM

@ PortalPress.org, I think someone has developed the type of KM you seek. Perhaps someone will provide any links to it.

RAMDisk
seems to make browsers much faster, even IE and I am on a 56k dialup connection.

AOL figures that once you are their customer that they own you and they throw all kinds of money-grabbing crap at you like trying to get you buy their dsl service. Some years back, they were loosing so many customers that they started giving their customers "permission" to use other browsers.

@ siria, I believe 1.6 has been dropped since 1.7 is now in the works but I can can nolonger find any reference to this.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: siria
Date: June 03, 2010 04:57AM

caktus
@ siria, I believe 1.6 has been dropped since 1.7 is now in the works but I can can nolonger find any reference to this.

That is well possible, but not necessarily so smiling smiley KM154 and KM16a were also developed parallel, with different gecko versions, and that seems quite normal when I look at other programs. The reference was here
Dorian
New build. It fixes the high cpu usage of previous 1.6 build.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/

There is also a ... 1.7 version, with gecko 1.9.2
No typeahead for this one, since it changed. It uses js now, and I don't know how to make it works. I warn you, I only tested it for 5 mins or so.

and here

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16

Latest Builds
K-Meleon 1.6.0a4 (2010-05-09, Gecko 1.9.1) -- Download
K-Meleon 1.7.0a (2010-05-09, Gecko 1.9.2) -- Download

It's the same dates, and to me it sounds like just a quick experiment, like taking KM16 and just throwing the newer gecko at it, to get a first impression if and which new problems might occur with it... And looks like there are quite some internal changes in it again, so I don't exclude yet the possibility to first finish the gecko191 problems in KM16 and only in the next step really tackling gecko192. But I don't know it of course, and there was a also a huge gap between KM1.1x and KM1.5x, so everything is possible ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.