General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Changes to Search Engine ?
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: May 08, 2010 01:08PM

Why can I not make any changes to the Search Engine? I have tried adding a new search engine, I deleted several and I edited one search engine. I can see the changes I made but when I close the Preference page and open it again the changes are gone. Nothing added, edited or deleted. I also have closed K-Meleon and opened it again and "no changes" have taken place. Using the new KM 1.5.4 ... what is missing or why are the changes not permanent?

thanks ...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changes to Search Engine ?
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 08, 2010 01:14PM

Make sure that You have writing rights to the profile folder/directory.

In case Windows did not grant them automatically. Do right click on the profiles folder and change properties so that You own it when You are not Administrator.

p.s. All other setting changes also rely on it.

I can only speculate why rights were not granted automatically in Your case but it sometimes happens. And it makes that You are stuck to default settings...

You will find profiles folder via: Edit -> Configuration -> Profile Directory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 01:21PM by guenter.

Date: May 08, 2010 02:14PM

guenter ... thanks again for the info. Here's my problem ... first of all, I am using Win 98SE only on my 2 computers (notebooks) and Windows 2000 PRO on the other notebook. I have done the steps that you listed ... I am in the "default" mode I guess.

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\xztln661.default

My Profiles folder is in the KM folder and not the Windows folder.

Your instructions:

"Make sure that You have writing rights to the profile folder/directory.

In case Windows did not grant them automatically. Do right click on the profiles folder and change properties so that You own it when You are not Administrator."

I can't find anything to change in the folder as you mention to do. ??? There are no Administrator rights set up on my machine as XP and Vista would set it up. I am the only one that uses my notebook (98SE).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 02:21PM by duffy2009.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 08, 2010 03:00PM

You can check if you have writing authority to your profile with the following macro. Copy the macro to your 'macros' folder in your profile and name it 'priviledge.kmm'. Make sure not to let notepad add '.txt' to the file name by selecting all files for type.

Restart KM and it will alert you if you do not have writing priviledge.

priviledge.kmm
#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
# ---------- priviledge.kmm
# ---------- To check for user write priviledge on current profile -----
#
# Dependencies        : main.kmm
# Resources           : priviledge.ini
# Preferences         : -
# Version             : 0.2  3/21/10
# Author			  : JamesD 
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------

_Priviledge_RunCode {
$_Priviledge_Section = "Profile" ;
$_Priviledge_Key = "Current" ;
$_Priviledge_End = index($_Priviledge_Path,".");
$_Priviledge_Start = $_Priviledge_End - 1;
while($_Priviledge_Start < $_Priviledge_End) {
	$_Priviledge_Char = substr($_Priviledge_Path,$_Priviledge_Start,1);
	if ($_Priviledge_Char != "\\") {
		$_Priviledge_Start=$_Priviledge_Start-1;
		} else {
		$_Priviledge_Value = substr($_Priviledge_Path,$_Priviledge_Start + 1, 8); 
	}
}
$_Priviledge_Path =  $_Priviledge_Path . "\Priviledge.ini";
alert($_Priviledge_Path, "Location to write ini file DEBUG, INFO);
#iniwrite($_Priviledge_Section, $_Priviledge_Key, $_Priviledge_Value, $_Priviledge_Path);
#macros(_Priviledge_Validate);
}

_Priviledge_Validate {
# Value remains after delete because iniread is reading cached info in registry
$_Priviledge_Value2 = iniread("","","","");
$_Priviledge_Value2 = iniread($_Priviledge_Section, $_Priviledge_Key, $_Priviledge_Value2, $_Priviledge_Path);
if ($_Priviledge_Value != $_Priviledge_Value2) {
	alert("No writing priviledge for", $_Priviledge_Value." DEBUG", INFO);
	}
}

_Priviledge_GetPath {
$_Priviledge_Path=getfolder(ProfileFolder);
}

# - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
$OnStartup=$OnStartup."_Priviledge_RunCode;";
$OnInit=$OnInit."_Priviledge_GetPath;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."Priviledge;";

Date: May 08, 2010 03:54PM

JamesD ... Ok, I am not noticing anything. K-Meleon starts as before. I am not sure what I am supposed to see or what is supposed to happen. Was I supposed to copy "priviledge.kmm" also into the text ... I used it as the name for the Macro ... this is what I have in the text.

------------------------------------------------------------------

priviledge.kmm

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage)
#
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm
# Resources : priviledge.ini
# Preferences : -
# Version : 0.2 3/21/10
# Author : JamesD

_Priviledge_RunCode {
} else {
}
}
$_Priviledge_Path = $_Priviledge_Path . "\Priviledge.ini";
#iniwrite($_Priviledge_Section, $_Priviledge_Key, $_Priviledge_Value, $_Priviledge_Path);
}

_Priviledge_Validate {
$_Priviledge_Value2 = iniread($_Priviledge_Section, $_Priviledge_Key, $_Priviledge_Value2, $_Priviledge_Path);
}
}

_Priviledge_GetPath {
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really getting involved and I am into areas I know nothing about but I am learning more about K-Meleon. I thought since I am not using XP or Vista that there can be no Administrator rights to worry about for an older OS. Maybe I don't understand ... Does KM have Administrator rights ? ... whether a person is using XP or not? Thanks ...

Date: May 08, 2010 04:33PM

On Windows 98 default location will be ./Program Files/K-Meleon/Profiles/...
K-Meleon has automatically writing rights there. That was the old default location until K-Meleon 0.9. Win 9x has it there by default and was the most common Win...

Some other possible Profiles folder locations on different windows e.g. with family logon.

Cave Holger Metzger only knows the K-Meleon 0.9 profiles default location.
Current profiles default location is since K-Meleon 1.0 next to where he says Firefox has his profiles.

On Windows 2000 profiles can still be in

1.) .\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\...

K-Meleon does not have automatic writing rights there - they must be manually granted, unless when You habitually work as Admin. smiling smiley
(I think we are talking about problems with this?!)

Or profiles can be Windows 2000 style (or any NT based Windows e.g. XP) in

2.) C:\Documents and Settings\{Active User}\Application Data\K-Meleon

It has automatic automatic writing rights there. You need no Admin rights here, the active user owns the rights to this. K-Meleon has the rights of the user or admin that starts the exe.

During setup You were asked whether You wanted multi user support - if deselected K-Meleon will install Profiles in his own install directory.

That option is now used for single user Win 98, Portable install on USB-stick, Multi boot systems where You want to use the same profile, to test new versions where You do not want to use Your normal profile & probably some more uses that I do not know.

On each startup K-Meleon checks for a profile.ini in his setup directory to determine where the profiles are generally. BTW. The exact location is by default layed down in profiles.ini and that file is where the profiles are.

No profile.ini exists = 2.)
profile.ini exists = 1.)

Under Windows 2000 You can simply delete .\Program Files\K-Meleon\profile.ini

on the next start K-Meleon will create a new profile where he can write smiling smiley in

C:\Documents and Settings\{Active User}\Application Data\K-Meleon

To transfer data or settings from one K-Meleon Profile to another You can simply copy the files inside the profiles to the new location. Cave - always create backups of the place before You start to change anything.

Seach engine settings are in search.xml of used profile. pwds are in *.s....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:12PM by guenter.

Date: May 08, 2010 05:12PM

guenter ... thanks again. I am completely lost on everything now. I thought this would be simple to just add Scroogle to the Tools / Web search menu. I have added Scroogle to my Links in my Favorites folder. I really don't want to uninstall K-Meleon and start everything all over. I installed it on a Thinkpad T41 with only Win 98SE installed. I did not want the KM Profiles folder in the Windows folder so I chose to have the KM Profiles folder installed in the KM folder. This is where it sits.

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\xztln661.default

What is that "xztln661.default" ? Can I just delete that "xztln661.default" ? I don't know where that "xztln661" came from.

I appreciate all your help but it doesn't look like anything is going solve this problem for Win 98SE. I am probably one of the very few people left on the earth still using Win 98SE. I guess with XP or Vista there would be no problem adding or changing something in Tools / Web Search. Maybe someone will also like Scroogle and decide to make an Add-On like the one for Firefox. Until then I will just click on the Scroogle link in my Favorites folder to do my searching. That will work for me. Thanks also to JamesD and disrupted for the help.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 08, 2010 05:23PM

duffy2009
JamesD ... Ok, I am not noticing anything. K-Meleon starts as before. I am not sure what I am supposed to see or what is supposed to happen. Was I supposed to copy "priviledge.kmm" also into the text ... I used it as the name for the Macro ... this is what I have in the text.

------------------------------------------------------------------

priviledge.kmm

# K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
#
# Dependencies : main.kmm
# Resources : priviledge.ini
# Preferences : -
# Version : 0.2 3/21/10
# Author : JamesD

_Priviledge_RunCode {
} else {
}
}
$_Priviledge_Path = $_Priviledge_Path . "\Priviledge.ini";
}

_Priviledge_Validate {
}
}

_Priviledge_GetPath {
}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is really getting involved and I am into areas I know nothing about but I am learning more about K-Meleon. I thought since I am not using XP or Vista that there can be no Administrator rights to worry about for an older OS. Maybe I don't understand ... Does KM have Administrator rights ? ... whether a person is using XP or not? Thanks ...

The blue text is the content of James kmm-file, sounds like you have that right.
Are you sure there is no hidden .txt ending at the file, and it is in the macros folder?
Are you sure the loader wasn't running at restart, after adding or changing the macro?

This whole thing is absolutely weird, definitely not normal in Win98!!

Is it possible that the profile folder is set to "read-only"?? If you open it in the file manager (explorer), can you manually open and change files in there?
Lets say, if perhaps you manually open menus.cfg in your profile, add this text, save and close, is it still there when you reopen it?
!LinkCopy{
#&Copy=ID_EDIT_COPY
&Copy=ID_EDIT_COPY|ID_COPY_LINK_LOCATION
}

Edit:
I'm on Win98SE on a laptop too by the way :cool:
Adding new search engines IS simple, if anything is complicated it's usually on Vista or 7 *groan*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:25PM by siria.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: May 08, 2010 05:24PM

Hi, Duffy;

Can I just delete that "xztln661.default" ?

DON'T

that is your profile folder, as opposed to your "Profiles" folder, which could hold
several profiles (in several folders, the names of which would be 1234wxyz.knowNotWhat
if you don't give them other names when creating those profiles).

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:26PM by SoerenB.

Posted by: siria
Date: May 08, 2010 05:26PM

Profiles\xztln661.default
Those profiles names are random, in order to avoid accidental overwriting when installing a new KM version or such ;-) Each one gets a new random name.

By the way, even if you don't get that web search thing running, you can still use a nick for this search. Add it to the "bookmarks" or "Hotlist", use this link:
http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/nbbw.cgi?Gw=%s

click Bookmarks(or Hotlist) > Edit, click the Scroogle Link, and type a shortcut into the "Nick" field, e.g. I use sc for scroogle.

Then if you want to use that, you can just type "sc mysearchwordblabla" into the URL bar and hit enter, and Scroogle will open the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 05:30PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: May 08, 2010 06:39PM

Hi duffy2009

Sorry to be late replying to your post. We had a power outage.

Just a little bit about macros. Macros are text files with the extension of 'kmm'. They contain statements using the MacroLanguage. One reference for the MacroLanguage is here. http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLanguage2

Macros can be located in root/macros i.e. C:\Program Files\K-Meleon/macros, or they can be located within your profile. That would look like 'C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\xztln661.default/macros'. This assumes that your profile is with the K-Meleon program. The default location is in C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Application Data\K-Meleon. You and I appear to keep our profiles with the program.

One way to check the location of the current profile is use EDIT - CONFIGURATION - PROFILE DIRECTORY from within KM. That will open the current profile. Try that and make sure it says 'C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\xztln661.default'. While you are there click on the folder 'macros' and make sure 'priviledge.kmm' file is there.

I made an assumption that you are using a modern version of KM. For 'priviledge.kmm' to work, you must be using version 1.5.3 or later.

If all the above looks right, then when you start KM you can verify that 'priviledge.kmm' is run by using EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - MACRO EXTENSION. Priviledge should be in the list of macros.

To check to see if there are errors in your 'priviledge.kmm' file, you can use TOOLS - ERROR CONSOLE. If no error shows with a reference to 'priviledge.kmm', then it ran OK.

I hope this is not too technical or missing something. I do some things but teach does not appear in my list of thing that I do well.

Date: May 08, 2010 08:19PM

JamesD ... Sorry about the power outage. I'm in PA and very high winds today. Still have power so far. Thanks for explaining about macros. I have copied everything to keep in my KM Info folder. I sort of solved my original problem. I uninstalled KM and ran all my cleaners and then reinstalled K-Meleon. Everything OK so far. I can make changes to the Search Engine. Have no idea what the problem was but just "starting fresh" with a new KM install seems to have done the trick. I have most of my settings set up but I still have some plugins to add. thanks again for your help.

Date: May 08, 2010 09:41PM

grinning smiley No wonder that You were lost - I would have been too - one of these unexplainable Windows glitches, scratch head grinning smiley

Hope weather gets better for You guys, press thumbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2010 09:42PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.