- Is there a chance a stable version of K-Meleon to be released soon (by 'soon' I mean this year)?
- I hate 'Tabs on Top' and the lack of status bar in Firefox. Will K-Meleon preserve the status bar (like in Pale Moon, at least the last time I checked Pale Moon there was a status bar) and the 'Tabs on Bottom' feature?
- Will K-Meleon be compatible with Firefox add-ons?
- Will K-Meleon's stable release have a decent and sensible version number? This '74' is insane for me, it beats the Chrome madness by far. For me K-Meleon 1.8 or K-Meleon 2.0 will be fine.
- Does anyone know what happened to the original developer of K-Meleon?
1.) Yes. 74 based on FFesr 24 code is already a stable beta3.
A few crashes still happen on some PCs and pages. But I only had one crash so far. A type of unwanted popup on one page crashed beta1 on my machine.
2.) Not the Chromium FFox layout for sure!
Klassic skin will be included as You know it. And 3 skins based on the PhoenityAura icons by Lim Chee Aun. 2 of have the old layout like 1.5.4 and another has a more compact form. All the old skins from the Skins Wiki will be usable as soon as they receive minor code updates.
3.) No. K-Meleon is no Firefox Clone. The installer mechanism of the extensions prevents that extensions designed for Firefox are installed. It is laid out in the install rdf of the extensions. naruman who does that development has the extension control and install mechanism of XulRunner activated. It can control Mozilla Plugins but there are no compatible K-Meleon extensions on the Firefox central repository for extensions.
4.) It is up to the core developer to chose the name and version number.
I'd personally go for 1.9 or 2.0. But You could argue that the number must be above 3.5 since K-Meleon do Brasil occupied that number with older code.
5.) Christophe who started the project is long gone. 10 years or so. Sebastian, Jeff, Mark, Rob, Brian ... are also long gone. Ulf went after 0.9. Long ago.
Source a German K-Meleon history: http://www.hoefingen.net/klinik/wei1.html
The core developer since version 1.0, Dorian, is working on 74. He did not leave but had no time for this hobby for some years. kko chrome, macros and German locale has no time or is gone. desga2 Spanish locale & macro coding is gone and can not be contacted. New contributors: naruman who works on macros and chrome extensions and adodupan who works on the core code named K-Meleon 1.8. Also a stable version IMHO.
For many years K-Meleon making has been: Dorian does the core - if You come and can contribute something additional Your contribution is welcome.
Some past contributors seem not to be around regularly anymore.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2014 09:25PM by guenter.