control+left click and protocol association
Posted by: dokie80
Date: January 14, 2014 05:26AM

hi all, I want to ask couple of things
1. how to set control+left click to open link to new tab on background?
2. how to set k-meleon to be default program for http protocol?

i already run the setdefault app to make kmeleon to be default browser, but when i click link on my mail client, always open in IE. i already check the "default program" setting on windows, but kmeleon is not listed on protocols section.

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

ps. i use: windows 7, kmeleon 1.54

Re: control+left click and protocol association
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 14, 2014 10:39PM

dokie80
hi all, I want to ask couple of things
1. how to set control+left click to open link to new tab on background?
2. how to set k-meleon to be default program for http protocol?

i already run the setdefault app to make kmeleon to be default browser, but when i click link on my mail client, always open in IE. i already check the "default program" setting on windows, but kmeleon is not listed on protocols section.

any help is appreciated.

thanks.

ps. i use: windows 7, kmeleon 1.54

1.) I forgot how to set it via accel config. Goto Edit > Accelerators and read.

I have set things via F2 Browsing Options > General & Window diversion.
There I have set my favorite way for all actions generally.

If I want an exception I go via Right Click on link and chose what I want.

2.) The setdefault.exe does only support OS to XP Sp2. For Vista SP?, XP SP3 and later OS like Windows 7 Microsoft has changed registry keys and the exe has not been updated to MS wishes. MS twits that change old ways for no good reason and create 1000nds of hours for software projects. sad smiley

And none here had inclination to do the extra work created by them.tongue sticking out smiley

Right click and change properties for each file type probably works for Your OS.

Was not MS nice to You to supply You that still and not change it also? :O

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2014 11:43PM by guenter.

Attachments: Diversion.gif (16.3 KB)  
Posted by: siria
Date: January 15, 2014 12:00AM

Funny, two people asking for this the same day - Opera fans, or netbook prob? ;-)
Shortcuts howto:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#mouseaccels

Default programs:
Would recommand this tool because it's so handy, guess it's quite popular too:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Posted by: Zero3K
Date: January 15, 2014 01:32AM

Instead of using Nirsoft's File Types Manager, use this:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?4,file=538,filename=SetDefault.zip

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 01:33AM by Zero3K.

Posted by: dokie80
Date: January 15, 2014 07:30AM

hi, thanks for the replies
- SetDefault doesnt work, default handling for http protocol still IE
- control+left click works now, thanks for the info about mouse accelerator, I disabled macro extention before, should've put more info on description, coz it only says "provide macro language support". I enable it and set "firefox" for mouse accels.

thanks

edit:
default handling for http protocol can be set to kmeleon now, probably because of SetDefault app. I just need to change it manually on "Set Associations" setting on windows.

thanks smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 07:35AM by dokie80.

Date: January 15, 2014 08:49AM

Hi, glad it works now smiling smiley

dokie80
I disabled macro extention before, should've put more info on description, coz it only says "provide macro language support". I enable it and set "firefox" for mouse accels.

Absolutely, the descriptions are sometimes too short and therefore misleading!
Macros in KM are not just for custom extensions, as one would assume from other browsers, but since many years have also become a core element for lots of native functions too. There are already some 30 native macros included out-of-the-box in the macros folder, and if those are all blocked the browser gets seriously crippled. To easier differentiate which macros are native and which customized, the additional ones can be put into the empty profile macro folder instead of the KM macros folder, but little people do that (me neither, but I'm aware of macros winking smiley

By the way JS bridge Plugin is an important core function too, also used by native macros and often disabled accidentally for lack of info and awareness (I don't remember exactly what it does, but disabling it cripples some core functions too)

Or here the links on the official download page: it hasn't been updated in many years, and what ages ago was the "stable" version, 1.5.4, has meanwhile turned into the worst with the most website bugs, due to sheer age of the rendering engine. Even the official "latest" dev version 1.6beta2 is badly outdated and has serious bugs, so longtime KM users on this forum here usually strongly recommend 1.6beta2.6 instead, or another user-improved version (rodocops sig line lists some, of which James beta26 version is closest to the original, and with some heavy tricks even still runs on win98). And at the moment there is at last a brandnew modern version getting developed, an official new KM version, what almost no one really had believed possible anymore. Yet meanwhile new users still are led to believe 1.5.4 were the best one to try, ouch.

Posted by: duffy98
Date: January 15, 2014 01:01PM

siria ... very good point about updating K-Meleon official download page to K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6 by JamesD. It' the main browser I currently use. Until a newer working version is released with all the current work being done. I think when people new to KM come to the official page, they should be greeted with the current JamesD version. Who can do that? ... remove the old KM 1.5.4 version but maybe leave it as an older archive version still available, if someone really wants it.

Somebody new tries KM 1.5.4, doesn't like it and maybe they're gone forever when they could have tried the newer version by JamesD and might be somewhat interested to check KM out a little more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 02:46AM by duffy98.

Date: January 15, 2014 08:13PM

He did it!!!!! YEAH.... grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
I mean to say, fantastic news: Dorian just posted the *official* new KM dev version, KM74, and called it not even "alpha", but this time starts out right away with "beta"!! Great! Not sure if you're aware, but he's also K-Meleons main developer since many years, and therefore it's him who will update the official download page, probably rather soon now. He just posted he'll do an announcement, that means go public smiling smiley

PS: I actually tried QtWeb not long ago, like you said as backup browser, but must say was rather disappointed. Can't remember details, but it could do very little, seemed much less capable as KM1.6 so not much of use.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 08:24PM by siria.

Posted by: guenter
Date: January 15, 2014 09:56PM

Zero3K
Instead of using Nirsoft's File Types Manager, use this:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/file.php?4,file=538,filename=SetDefault.zip

Thx for Your effort. smiling smiley

It is possibly not the last version and the state of the art.

But the later ones I ever saw are lost in a HDD crash and in a page gone off-line.

I have is attached the neweset one (AFAIK 12.january.2012) that i can attach.
No warranties & no credits of mine.

Rename from SetDefault.exe.gif to "SetDefault.exe" before use.

deadlock who created it continued to make improved ones during the period late 2011 to early 2012 but the attachment is the newest one that I still have. sad smiley

Sorry.

thx and credits go to deadlock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2014 10:05PM by guenter.

Attachments: SetDefault.exe.gif (117.6 KB)  
K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.