General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Turning off or preventing Meta Tags from working
Posted by: psmith
Date: November 08, 2009 05:25PM

I use a "free" site for some of my email (mail.com) and have encountered a problem. Those running that site have changed their main page and filled it with excessive flash and other content, yet they have set their "refresh" meta tag so short that the page doesn't even finish loading before that happens. And they seem to be too stupid to respond to emails which point this out.

Because of the short reload, the form-filler in K-meleon never gets a chance to appear (it doesn't show up until the page has finished loading). How do I tell K-meleon to ignore metatags? I've scoured Preferences and see no way to do it; if it's there, it's not immediately obvious. If it have to be done through Configuration, how do I change it?

In case anyone is tempted to respond without thinking things through, the whole purpose of form-fillers is to save time, so don't "suggest" I just type in my username and email. And my email account is several years old and heavily used (by numerous people I know, and for several registrations on websites) so don't "suggest" I get an account elsewhere. Turning off the metatags solves all the problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turning off or preventing Meta Tags from working
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 08, 2009 06:14PM

I looked at dozens of pages that Yahoo search provided. I now know all about meta tags, but not how to ignore them. I did find one page that acknowledged the problem with "refresh". http://www.cucat.org/projects/navigation/refresh/

I do not know enough Javascript to try this, but I wonder if a macro tied to the onload event could use injectJS() and change the value.

Date: November 08, 2009 06:29PM

I should also mention that Opera does allow the turning off of metatags to override website coding, but due to poor design, the "free" email website won't work properly in Opera. It will, however, work on Mozilla-based browsers and also Infernal Exploder. I use K-meleon as a secondary browser because I don't want the bloat of Firefox and because it's portable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 06:32PM by psmith.

Posted by: disrupted(unlogged)
Date: November 08, 2009 07:30PM

no problems here .. kmeleon entered the password/username automatically at mail.com

are you sure kmeleon has your password saved for that account or maybe your password file isn't used or a different profile?.. check in tools>priavacy>view passwords and see if it's listed..if not then you need to log in and click yes when kmeleonn prompts to save the password

test account:
kmeleontesters
boguspass

Date: November 08, 2009 07:32PM
Posted by: siria
Date: November 08, 2009 07:42PM

The page doesnt reload for me, but then I have flash and other objects blocked, so the rest of the page may not work either that way, no idea ;-) Just so dared to enable javascript for them, but didnt wanna go further tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, if the problem is just the reload interval, try the "Policies Manager":
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm

It's remotely similar to the IE security zones. You can define own zones and add domains to them, and in the "advanced javascript settings" there's an option to forbid reloading.
Hope it works... smiling smiley

PS: can anyone tell if checking those boxes mean whether it's blocked or it's allowed?? :cool:
And some of the settings seem to follow the default-settings in the browser, e.g. if javascript is blocked in the privbar, the p-manager shows it also blocked in the Policy, if I got that right, not sure...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 07:51PM by siria.

Date: November 08, 2009 08:35PM

checked box means allowed(enabled) and you are right, policies manager doesn't conflict with kmeleon js settings but they both work together beautifully(they read same pref settings)

p.s. good find on the disable reload.. i didn;t see it before

Date: November 08, 2009 09:30PM

Ah okay, thanks for the info :-) Hope I can remember it... *blush*

But still not sure about that refresh tag, there could be different methods for autorefresh / autoreload, and that metatag may not have anything to do with javascript... So thanks to the infos in the other replies here, searched a bit around too, and voila:

Here's another way, but not sure if it works, may require gecko 1.9?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Accessibility.blockautorefresh

Open about:config (or Edit/Config./Browser Config.),
type refresh in filter, then if not already there (very likely), add this:

right-click in page / New
Boolean
accessibility.blockautorefresh
True

Just curious, please report if that works, since I can't check myself due to lack of refreshing test page in my version...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 09:52PM by siria.

Date: November 08, 2009 11:03PM

Neither works *sniff* Sorry!
Obviously needs Gecko 1.9.

Found a test page that's refreshing for me too:
http://www.fluffbucket.com/howto/slide1.htm
http://www.fluffbucket.com/howto/meta3.htm
http://www.fluffbucket.com/howto/meta2.htm (has code that can be copied to own page, without redirect URL)

Perhaps this thing could give hints?
http://www.vakuumverpackt.de/refreshblocker/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 11:09PM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 08, 2009 11:20PM

Also exist this interesant add-on for Firefox.

RefreshBlockerStrategyLegacy.js
	function blockRefreshs(browser, htmlDocument, block)
	{
		log("blockRefreshs", "");

var shells = browser.docShell.getDocShellEnumerator(Components.interfaces.nsIDocShellTreeItem.typeAll, browser.docShell.ENUMERATE_FORWARDS);
		if (shells == null)
		{
			log("blockRefreshs", "shells == null");
		}

while (shells.hasMoreElements())
		{
			var shell = shells.getNext().QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsIDocShell);
			if (shell == null)
			{
				log("blockRefreshs", "shell == null");
				continue;
			}

var viewer = shell.contentViewer;
			if (viewer == null)
			{
				log("blockRefreshs", "viewer == null");
				continue;
			}

var domDocument = viewer.DOMDocument;
			if (domDocument == null)
			{
				log("blockRefreshs", "domDocument == null");
				continue;
			}

log("blockRefreshs", "htmlDocument.title == " + htmlDocument.title);
			log("blockRefreshs", "domDocument.title == " + domDocument.title);

if (domDocument != htmlDocument)
			{
				log("blockRefreshs", "domDocument != htmlDocument");
				continue;
			}

log("blockRefreshs", "domDocument == htmlDocument");

shell.allowMetaRedirects = !block;

log("blockRefreshs", "shell.allowMetaRedirects == " + shell.allowMetaRedirects);
		}

log("blockRefreshs", "browser.docShell.allowMetaRedirects == " + browser.docShell.allowMetaRedirects);
	}

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 11:30PM by desga2.

Posted by: disrupted*unlogged)
Date: November 09, 2009 12:43AM

no no, it's not gecko 1.9 related..even when km updates to 1.6, that pref will not be available

accessibility.blockautorefresh will not work in kmeleon, official km is built on mozilla/seamonkey trunk not the firefox trunk. normally both share a lot of settings but some settngs are specific to firefox and others are specific to seamonkey-though most seamonkey specific prefs do not work in kmeleon because they'd probably be mail or compozer related

to find out if a pref will work for km, make sure to check this part:
'has an effect in'

if it states firefox only, then it won't work in km
if it states seamonkey or mozilla only..then it won't work in km
if it states both seamonkey and firefox trunks then it will probably work in km

however some prefs are xul ui related. so not all prefs that work fo both seamonkey and ff may work for km.. those prefs are related to things like tabbar..startusbar..urlbar width etc (anything that has to do with their xul interface)

example of a pref that works for both seamonkey and ff and km
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.display.focus_ring_width

Date: November 13, 2009 07:07AM

disrupted(unlogged)
there is a firefox portable version that you can download there:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Internet/Browsers/Windows-Portable-Applications-Portable-Firefox.shtml

Do you not read? I said in my second post, written an hour before yours, that I don't want the bloat of firefox.

Date: November 13, 2009 07:10AM

JamesD
I looked at dozens of pages that Yahoo search provided. I now know all about meta tags, but not how to ignore them. I did find one page that acknowledged the problem with "refresh". http://www.cucat.org/projects/navigation/refresh/

I do not know enough Javascript to try this, but I wonder if a macro tied to the onload event could use injectJS() and change the value.

The site you gave didn't work when I tried it, but that may just be the connection. Thanks, and I'll check it later.

Date: November 13, 2009 07:12AM

disrupted(unlogged)
no problems here .. kmeleon entered the password/username automatically at mail.com

are you sure kmeleon has your password saved for that account or maybe your password file isn't used or a different profile?.. check in tools>priavacy>view passwords and see if it's listed..if not then you need to log in and click yes when kmeleonn prompts to save the password

test account:
kmeleontesters
boguspass

Why are you assuming that I changed my computer or that somehow my username and password were deleted? Or that I didn't check that before posting about metatags?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2009 07:12AM by psmith.

Date: November 13, 2009 07:18AM

siria
The page doesnt reload for me, but then I have flash and other objects blocked, so the rest of the page may not work either that way, no idea ;-) Just so dared to enable javascript for them, but didnt wanna go further tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, if the problem is just the reload interval, try the "Policies Manager":
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm

It's remotely similar to the IE security zones. You can define own zones and add domains to them, and in the "advanced javascript settings" there's an option to forbid reloading.
Hope it works... smiling smiley

PS: can anyone tell if checking those boxes mean whether it's blocked or it's allowed?? :cool:
And some of the settings seem to follow the default-settings in the browser, e.g. if javascript is blocked in the privbar, the p-manager shows it also blocked in the Policy, if I got that right, not sure...

I wasn't aware of that extension section, I only knew of the Resources page for downloads other than the browser. It also seems to contain a plethora of other useful plugins, so thanks very much for pointing to it.

As for Infernal Exploder and its "security zones", I haven't used IEEEEE! since 3.0, so I don't know what you're talking about. :drool:

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.