General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
search bar width proportional to window size
Posted by: Brogan
Date: November 04, 2009 11:17PM

I really want to include a search bar on my toolbar but when i try to place it to the right of my url bar it will stretch to a ridiculously large width when I make my browser maximized. Then if I adjust it so that it's smaller when maximized, it's completely hidden when i minimize it. Is there a way to align a toolbar to the right side of the browser and force it to remain at a fixed width?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: search bar width proportional to window size
Date: November 04, 2009 11:19PM

just to clarify, when i said "it's completely hidden when i minimize it, i mean that when i adjust the searchbar to a comfortable width while the window is maximized, it gets scaled to a size that's way to small when i un-maximize the window.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 05, 2009 01:53AM

Whatever thing you include inside the same bar, automatically shares the proportional space it needs, so if it is small, when you restore (I think you are meaning this instead minimize), it becomes as tiny as the proportional space available.

Then so, you'll need to include it in a new bar. You can move buttons if you unblock the bars (I don't remember where is the toggle button for this action on 1.5.x, sorry).

EDIT: in the beginning I say whatever thing, but, for example, buttons have a fixed size, ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2009 01:55AM by JohnHell.

Posted by: caktus
Date: November 05, 2009 06:53PM

Why not just search from the URL bar?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: November 06, 2009 05:46AM

Yes, I meant restore. hehe.

And thank you for helping me again in this thread.

I think maybe i'm just being too picky about these unimportant things.

Date: November 06, 2009 05:50AM

caktus

I was using that for a while but i thought it might be nice to have the url bar behave so that it goes to the webpage if it thinks it knows which website i'm looking for, or go to the search if it doesn't. Then i would have the search bar behave so that it always performs a search without ever trying to take me directly to a website if i am sure that i just want to see the search results

Posted by: siria
Date: November 08, 2009 02:46PM

Brogan
Then i would have the search bar behave so that it always performs a search without ever trying to take me directly to a website if i am sure that i just want to see the search results

But you can do that from the URL-bar too, just click the search-button (globe-icon) instead of the "goto"-button.

For future KM-versions it would be far more intuitive IMO to include that search-globe in the goto-toolbar by default, instead of sorting it to the search-in-page buttons.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 08, 2009 05:25PM

Brogan
caktus

I was using that for a while but i thought it might be nice to have the url bar behave so that it goes to the webpage if it thinks it knows which website i'm looking for, or go to the search if it doesn't. Then i would have the search bar behave so that it always performs a search without ever trying to take me directly to a website if i am sure that i just want to see the search results

Just type your search query into the URL bar and click CTRL G instead of ENTER to search with your default search engine. With the Search+ addon/extension you can use ALT ENTER instead of CTRL G.

siria
For future KM-versions it would be far more intuitive IMO to include that search-globe in the goto-toolbar by default, instead of sorting it to the search-in-page buttons.

Not sure what you mean by the "search-in-page" buttons? It's in its own toolbar called "Search Buttons". The find in page buttons are in their own bar at the bottom of the browser. As for placing the search button in the "Go Buttons" toolbar, many users who may hide that bar wouldn't necessarily want to hide the search button. Also it's easy enough to drag the button to right of the URL bar if they want. The current default position of placing it directly to the left of the URL bar seems like a decent place to me since it's closer to the URL bar than it would be if it were to be placed to the right of the Go Buttons. Also, it doesn't have to be associated with the URL bar at all since it's a search prompt. IMO, if typing into the URL bar to search, since your fingers are already on the keyboard, it's alot easier & quicker to hit CTRL G or ALT ENTER than to take your fingers off the keyboard and then move them back to the mouse to click the search button. But it's placed right next to the URL bar if the user wants to do so.

Date: November 12, 2009 11:48PM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. These tips help a lot.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.