General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 15
Re: Anyone still using kmeleon?
Posted by: naruman
Date: January 10, 2014 03:38PM

Dorian

The aim is to make the search work, not to just remove the error. Does the search work for you? I think it's a important feature.

The error:

Error: [Exception... "'Failure' when calling method [nsIBrowserSearchService::defaultEngine]"  
nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  
location: "native frame :: <unknown filename> :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 0"  data: no]

The option for 'Keyword Autosearch' can work using this file .

The bug related of missing 'xml' files in the 'searchplugins' folder & some pref and also setting 'k-meleon.exe' as 'binary component' in 'chrome.manifest'.

I had to use firefox pref file ( still need to clear ) , and i did add 'blocklist.xml' for nsBlocklistService .

Note:

You had to wait few seconds until km convert the page to the search engine .

& delete the folder 'startupCache' in [k-meleon\Profiles] & overwrite the old files .

Edite:

To change search engine , [Perferences/Keyword Autosearch/searchengine] not work & done using the key [browser.search.defaultenginename] & the file [chrome://browser-region/locale/region.properties] .

After few tests , not set 'k-meleon.exe' as 'binary component' stop prompt in [about:config]

We will need new method.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 07:25PM by naruman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dorian
Date: January 10, 2014 07:42PM

Does that mean we should use search plugins instead of search.xml?

Of course I didn't put binarycomponent just for the fun :p
Thank for the hint, the real problem is in services.jsm but I think can work around it.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 10, 2014 07:44PM

@ naruman

The fixes you posted on Jan. 9 worked very well. I have two more small requests. The console2 code in your version does not have a tab marked "KMM" for error types.

I am pretty sure some code in this file can fix that. I am just not sure how to integrate the KMM part into your code.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/console2.jar

The following line of code from console2.xul is part of what must be changed.
broadcaster id="Console:modeLangKMM" label="&lang.kmm.label;" oncommand="toggleMode('KMM', 'Lang');"/>

I found this by chasing backwards from the console2.dtd file where I found the string "KMM".

A second request is would someone could tell me what code is running when a user clicks on the source of a "KMM" error in console2. I suspect it is one of the viewSource.xxx files.

The current code does not correctly parse the error source in it parts.

Clicking on error reference get this result.

dn+1 could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

this is copy of error reference

Fri Jan 10 2014 09:15:05
Error: Invalid expression./
/)
}

_Snippet_BuildMenu
Source file: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon 74 dn+1\Profiles\cya6tf3m.default\macros\snippet.kmm
Line: 13

As you can see dn+1 is part of the folder name for the KM root folder.

I built this error in on purpose to test the error console.

_Snippet_RunCode {
alert("common",/)
}

_Snippet_BuildMenu {
	# add another option to Favorites menu
	setmenu("F&avorites",macro,"Snippet Testing","_Snippet_RunCode",4);
}

## - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
$OnInit=$OnInit."_Snippet_BuildMenu;";

$macroModules=$macroModules."Snippet;";

I think that somewhere on my system there is code with comments about how to parse the error source. I just need to know which file name for which I should search. It is slow searching because I have open each omni or jar to look inside.

Thanks for your efforts.

Posted by: pjpw2320
Date: January 10, 2014 09:33PM

<<<< Posted by: siria
Date: December 24, 2013 11:27PM

Oh... thank you for the welcome smiling smiley And nice to find still a few familiar faces. Pity that I only have time to drop by once in a while, to check for important news. But still excited to see KM progressing fast now, and completely unexpected! smiling smiley smiling smiley
Am not ready to give it up anytime soon, regardless if old system or (some day) a newer one, and I believe there are still quite some KM users with new machines out there. Just not showing up in the statistics due to fake user agents.

I also don't think the existence of a brandnew modern version should be kept semi-secret for much longer, or KM will be written dead yet more often in magazines etc. and no one even checks it anymore sad smiley If KM74 is'nt perfect yet that's still okay for an alpha or beta or if need be experimental version after all.

That doesn't necessarily mean to post it on softpedia ect. already, may well be that this is too early. But the most important thing is just to let people *know* that it's not dead anymore! At the very least on KM's own homepage. So even if the current version isn't published yet anywhere, there should be at least a little note written on the K-Meleon Homepage NEWS page, or even better the download page too. Just so people will know it's worth to check back in a while, not go away and never return anymore due to lost hope. It's really getting way too long now for any news, and still KM154 being the officially declared "best" version. >>>>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Couldn't agree more siria. There needs to be far more transparency anywhere and everywhere that people look for browser software. I continue to be disillusioned with all the mainstream browsers and many others that I have tried over the years.I keep coming back to try K-Meleon and have been pleasantly surprised of late to see the flurry of development activity going on.

Peter Wills

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 09:34PM by pjpw2320.

Date: January 10, 2014 09:44PM

siria
Just a suggestion, as minimum info perhaps something like this on the homepage?

LATEST NEWS
2013-12-24 After a long break K-Meleon is finally getting developed again. First developer versions of K-Meleon74 based on the FF25 engine look very promising.

I wouldn't even reference a long break siria as I think that could turn people away. I would suggest something like

"After much development work being done quietly in the background, K-Meleon, the fastest and leanest browser of all, is now available in updated versions offering many new features and support for current web technologies. Work continues to progress to make this the browser of choice for discerning Internet users."

And then provide a link to the current versions considered suitable for download, such as rodocop's "Twin" as well as KM74d. An information file could also be posted alerting users as to what they can expect from these versions. Whilst this information can be gleaned from browsing through the Forums, most users just want a download link and the quick facts in front of them so they can start using the browser straight away.

Just my thoughts.

Peter Wills

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 09:45PM by pjpw2320.

Date: January 10, 2014 09:51PM

mhf
Happy festive holidays and a wonderful New K-Meleon Year for all smiling smiley

The tab bar buttons need work! I recall using the old Avant Browser before the developer changed the entire coding and operational functions of the browser, to its detriment. It used to be exceptionally speedy as well, not in KM's class but it came the closest at the time. But it used to have good looking tab bar buttons and response time used to be great as well.

Peter Wills

Date: January 10, 2014 10:40PM

Dorian
Does that mean we should use search plugins instead of search.xml?

Of course I didn't put binarycomponent just for the fun :p
Thank for the hint, the real problem is in services.jsm but I think can work around it.

Yes , we should use search plugins instead of search.xml , which was use to store search engine URL , than add it to 'keyword.URL' pref .

The problem is that 'keyword.URL' pref has been removed starting of 'Gecko 23' & instead now it read the 'searchplugins' folder , and it's advanced 'xml' file.

And it use [browser.search...] to set how to use them . So i think that 'nsIBrowserSearchService' is not the problem .

maybe we should search in the first km 74 file for another key for prompt bug , it with out 'chrome.manifest'.

--------

@ JamesD

I will see about add kmm tab to the console2 .

But for now, active the' content & xml ' buttons only to see 'kmm ' errores.

And when put km folder in program files , it can't create or modify 'Profiles' folder (win 7) &it transfor it to your 'appdata' folder .

Delete or move your 'Profiles' folder , then run km & Click start (win) then paste [%appdata%] in the search box ,then open [Roaming\Mozilla\Profiles].

that's the new location for your profile.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 12:29AM by naruman.

Date: January 11, 2014 12:40AM

@ JamesD

Sorry James , it was false result , from another under test chrome files + my km is always in 'D:\' so i thought it win 7 security bug.

Your profile is in km folder as it is & i will fix 'view Source '.

@ Dorian

I think that 'nsSearchService.js' may help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2014 12:47AM by naruman.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: January 11, 2014 08:37AM

Naruman,

your keyword search search works fine but only if you leave out binary-component k-meleon.exe in chrome. Just one little "awkward thing": although in the google xml script is mentioned https://www.google.com my search always looks up: https://www.google.fr and not google.com. Is that normal? I already set the language to english.

An important and not favourable consequence of the new keyword search is that the context menu in about:config doesn't work any more: you see it still but you cannot change the integer values nor make new entries.

Another - not very important I think - is that all tabs have to have a close button and you cannot change that.

Hope these remarks help.

Mala

Date: January 11, 2014 09:00AM

Forgot:

another important consequence of the omitting of "binary-component k-meleon.exe" in the new keyword search chrome is that remembering passwords doesn't work anymore.

Is this ffor everybody the same?

Mala

Date: January 12, 2014 02:53AM

rodocop
Old fan,
this thread is full of links to download updated assemblies of KM74.
Download and unpack this build and then that new one with overwriting files.

P.S. New version is heavily developed, so follow the thread for updates and fixes.
rodocop

Is KM74d not ok to download on its own? I'm just curious why you mentioned downloading 74b then d and overwriting.

Thanks.

Peter Wills

Date: January 12, 2014 03:40AM

@ Dorian

I take another road , as km can get the words & add 'www.'&'.com/'

I modify the 'preferences' to use 'browser.fixup.alternate.prefix'&'browser.fixup.alternate.suffix' instead of 'keyword.URL' & it's work now.

But it has deformity , it add '/' to the word , so if you type 'kmeleon' ,it will search for 'kmeleon/' .

Some site just ignore the '/' & others show it , with unseen effect on the search .

This file do it.

Note:

after adding the file ,

- Go to [preferences[f2]\Browsing\finding websites\]
-Check 'Keyword Autosearch' .
-Select search engine [ important ] .

Mala Okeh
Another - not very important I think - is that all tabs have to have a close button and you cannot change that.

Hope these remarks help.

Mala

use the upper fix then:

-Delete 'preferences' folder in [kmeleon\browser\defaults\].

-Delete 'searchplugins' folder in [[kmeleon\browser].

-Go to [preferences[f2]\Gui appearance\toolbars\tab bar].

-uncheck [show closing buttons .....].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 03:42AM by naruman.

Date: January 12, 2014 08:41AM

@naruman

Did as you said but fix2 not working for me : tab close button now again ok, about:config context text working ok again, but no longer keyword search.

A suggestion?

Thx in advance

Mala

Date: January 13, 2014 03:04AM

Mala Okeh
@naruman

Did as you said but fix2 not working for me : tab close button now again ok, about:config context text working ok again, but no longer keyword search.

A suggestion?

Thx in advance

Mala

-After deleting 'searchplugins' in [kmeleon\browser\] & 'preferences' in [ kmeleon\browser\defaults\ ].

-Close km & go to [k-meleon\Profiles] & Delete 'startupCache' folder .

-Extract the file to km folder & overwrite the old files .

-Run km & open preferences[f2] & go to [Browsing\finding websites\Keyword Autosearch]

-Active 'When a typed URL failed .......' & if it was active , make it inactive , then reactivate it again .

-click on 'search engine' menulist .

-Select search site , like 'Google-100 Results '.

-close 'preferences' & type a word in URL BAR& click enter .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 04:17AM by naruman.

Posted by: rodocop
Date: January 13, 2014 06:25AM

pjpw2320
rodocop

Is KM74d not ok to download on its own? I'm just curious why you mentioned downloading 74b then d and overwriting.

Thanks.

74d is OK but its doesn't contain XUL engine :O

Date: January 13, 2014 08:36AM

@naruman
@all

I'm sorry but I don't succceed in arriving at having all three : possibility of changing close tab button, config context menu working and keyword search.
So I'll have to await the next compilation k-meleon 74. Or else: if someone just could make a compilation of the browser folder, the default folder and the right chrome - containing all recent fixes - that would help a lot.

Mala

Date: January 13, 2014 05:48PM

Dorian
Hello,

It's been a while. How are you, for those who didn't defect yet ?
You can't say kmeleon is dead yet since it's still in the ballot screen. Which I think is really funny.

So I was bored and guess what, I've updated kmeleon to work with the latest mozilla release (25). You can download K-Meleon 74. ANd you will need the XRE, either from FF or from here

If someone could make it a bit more usable by tweaking chrome and macros, this would be nice. As you can see I've just used firefox xulrunner. I'm not sure how much usable it can be, probably not much, but looks like it works. I'm posting this message with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please forgive my ignorance Dorian as I am not a programmer but what is the XRE and will I still need that just to run KM as a user? I have been experimenting with K-Meleon Twin and KM74 and only downloaded the program zip file in each instance and things seem to be working fine for the most part.

Peter Wills

Date: January 13, 2014 06:06PM

pjpw2320
Dorian
Hello,

It's been a while. How are you, for those who didn't defect yet ?
You can't say kmeleon is dead yet since it's still in the ballot screen. Which I think is really funny.

So I was bored and guess what, I've updated kmeleon to work with the latest mozilla release (25). You can download K-Meleon 74. ANd you will need the XRE, either from FF or from here

If someone could make it a bit more usable by tweaking chrome and macros, this would be nice. As you can see I've just used firefox xulrunner. I'm not sure how much usable it can be, probably not much, but looks like it works. I'm posting this message with it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please forgive my ignorance Dorian as I am not a programmer but what is the XRE and will I still need that just to run KM as a user? I have been experimenting with K-Meleon Twin and KM74 and only downloaded the program zip file in each instance and things seem to be working fine for the most part.
Update
@Dorian
I realized that the XRE is obviously the xulrunner runtime environment but I don't need this just to run the unpacked program as a user do I? It all seems to be working fine for me apart from the occasional minor bug which I have reported elsewhere.

Peter Wills

Posted by: George Hall
Date: January 13, 2014 06:19PM

K-Meleon 74 can not wrie data to the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

So K-Meleon 74 can not create or change date in profiles in K-Meleon Program Folder.

Unless "Full Conrtrol" under security is enable for everyone to store or change profiles in "Program Files (x86)"

Also XP "Compatibility Mode" or "Run this program as an adminstrator" is enabled.

In XP, SetDefault.exe use to allow storing when storing multiple profiles was unchecked when installing K-Meleon.

If SetDefault.exe allowed write acesss to the
"Program Files (x86)" K-Meleon folder when it is installed or registered.

Then Compatibilty Mode, "Run this program as an adminstrator", or changing security to allow everyone to read and wite data in the K-Meleon 74 folder would not be needed to store profiles their.

Date: January 13, 2014 07:54PM

George Hall
K-Meleon 74 can not wrie data to the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

So K-Meleon 74 can not create or change date in profiles in K-Meleon Program Folder.

Unless "Full Conrtrol" under security is enable for everyone to store or change profiles in "Program Files (x86)"

Also XP "Compatibility Mode" or "Run this program as an adminstrator" is enabled.

In XP, SetDefault.exe use to allow storing when storing multiple profiles was unchecked when installing K-Meleon.

If SetDefault.exe allowed write acesss to the
"Program Files (x86)" K-Meleon folder when it is installed or registered.

Then Compatibilty Mode, "Run this program as an adminstrator", or changing security to allow everyone to read and wite data in the K-Meleon 74 folder would not be needed to store profiles their.

It appears thating securrty changing security to allow K-Meleon 74 to create profiles in "Program Files (x86)" K-Meleon 74 Folder, causes flash plugin ro crash when you click full screen.

The problem must be kmeleon.exe file that crashes flash when you click full screen.

The kmleon.exe from K-Meleon 1.5.4 to K-Meleon 1.6.0Beta2.6 did not have that problem.

Their must be a bug in the kmeleon.exe in K-Meleon 74 that crashes the flash plugin click full screen unless.

K-Meleon 74 is in compatibility mode or profiles are stored in the Roaming Folder in Windpw AppData Folder

Date: January 14, 2014 03:34AM

JamesD

A second request is would someone could tell me what code is running when a user clicks on the source of a "KMM" error in console2. I suspect it is one of the viewSource.xxx files.

The current code does not correctly parse the error source in it parts.

Clicking on error reference get this result.

dn+1 could not be found. Please check the name and try again.

this is copy of error reference

Fri Jan 10 2014 09:15:05
Error: Invalid expression./
/)
}
_Snippet_BuildMenu
Source file: C:\Program Files\K-Meleon 74 dn+1\Profiles\cya6tf3m.default\macros\snippet.kmm
Line: 13

As you can see dn+1 is part of the folder name for the KM root folder.

This error is a bug in 'Console² ' & it appear when the file path has space in it .

[Program Files\K-Meleon 74 dn+1\] this is the error .

And the file 'console2.xml' , has binding part for 'source link' & 'handler' for clicking the links .

This file fix Console² & remove the bug For now .

And remember to delete the folder 'startupCache' in [k-meleon\Profiles] & overwrite the old files .

Date: January 14, 2014 01:58PM

@ naruman

That fix is great. Someday we can try to get line numbers to show, but for now I am very happy.

I found out that the file I sent you about a "KMM" tab in console2 may have old style carriage return line feed method. You should check to see if you can make all these into the new method. CRLF method may cause problems with data.

I am pretty sure some code in this file can fix that. I am just not sure how to integrate the KMM part into your code.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/console2.jar

The following line of code from console2.xul is part of what must be changed.

broadcaster id="Console:modeLangKMM" label="&lang.kmm.label;" oncommand="toggleMode('KMM', 'Lang');"/>

I found this by chasing backwards from the console2.dtd file where I found the string "KMM".

Posted by: adodupan
Date: January 14, 2014 05:37PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2016 09:12PM by adodupan.

Date: January 14, 2014 07:15PM

@adodupan

Where can we find this new history?

Thx a lot in advance and good evening

Mala

Date: January 14, 2014 10:58PM

For search I suppose there are two options:
- Using search plugins, which means updating kmpref and macros
- Or rewrite nsSearchService to use kmeleon search

Anyone up for the task ?

adodupan
Dorian, i rewrote history, now works fine. Also, i added a function 'open' in file jsbridge.js
I shut down my sourceforge account. How to send a link to you.

You can send it to blist _at_ free.fr
I said I've already fixed the open part though.

Date: January 15, 2014 06:29PM

Kmeleon 74 Beta
Locale file

It's a full build and I'm trying different things, a compact theme and an about:home page.
I'll make an announcement.

Fixed print (but not print preview)
Fixed XUL dialog size and duplicate dialog
Fixed context menu on XUL
Fixed profile initialization (components failing to load, incorrect location for cache)
Fixed privacy clear history
Fixed bookmarks unicode characters
Fixed password manager
Added autocomplete for password (and maybe for form filling too)

Posted by: siria
Date: January 15, 2014 08:43PM

Dorian
Kmeleon 74 Beta
Locale file

It's a full build and I'm trying different things, a compact theme and an about:home page.
I'll make an announcement.

THANK YOU!! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
Am kinda excited, after all those years finally a new official version, and this time even with a modern engine inside! That is such a huge step forward for K-Meleon, which we all had believed dead already, and now will be fully alive and kicking again grinning smiley

And of course a huge Thank You also to everyone else who participated in development and testing, am rather sure that speeded things up greatly too smiling smiley

Date: January 16, 2014 12:13AM

K-Meleon 74Beta can not open links in New Tabs, Background Tabs, New Windows, and Background Windows when I right click on a link.

It needs a macro to allow us to Open in New Tab, New Window, Background Tab, and Background Window on right clicking links or frames.

Date: January 16, 2014 12:46AM

New K-Meleon 74 beta questions

Can someone tell me how to get the menu bar to show? I cannot run macros if there is no menu.

Should we start a new thread just for this version?

Edit: ALT V will bring up view menu. Then I could put check by menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 01:01AM by JamesD.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: January 16, 2014 05:37AM

km74 seems not compatible with win8.1sad smiley. it cannot start as error box says "km failed to initialize. please reinstall." it works fine under win xp3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 05:38AM by chinarobin.

Pages: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 15

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.