General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
SVG fix for 1.1.x and 1.5.x versions with updated engine to 1.8.1.23 (download inside)
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: October 17, 2009 07:17PM

It was the first time I had an error (http://geoportal.mityc.es/hidrocarburos/eess/) and I know it's not KM fault as, even the 1.1.x version and only with the GRE updates, it is still able to manage the map site.

But I started to browse and check here and there and I found that K-meleon doesn't open the SVG inside the windows: it shows an open/save window, instead.

Probably something related to the MIME image/svg+xml, but as in 1.5.x I haven't found the mime to copy to 1.1.x I request help.

I had similar problems with SWF (as stand alone files, not embedded) time ago, so I request a little help because I don't remember how to fix now confused smiley

EDIT: it happens to 1.5.x versions with 1.8.1.23 GRE.

EDIT2: a file for testing pupose:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Test.svg
(if won't open: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Test.svg)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 06:50PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SVG handling by 1.1.x versions
Date: October 17, 2009 08:40PM

I remembered I was able to open wikipedia graphics and...

Problem found: something was broken with the gecko 1.8.1.23 update.

With the previous version no errors at the url given above and the svg files load correctly.

:/

Help, either way I'll have to switch back to 1.8.1.22.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 18, 2009 07:07AM

Was compiled with SVG support, no error messages - sorry for inconvenience.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 18, 2009 09:14AM

Same prob here :-( Good thing SVGs are very rare yet on the web, but hope it can be fixed in a future release.

Date: October 18, 2009 11:31AM

The first example does not work! It does not for a number of GRE.

The second example does work with.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090825

That is the GRE that I compiled for the update.

And also with.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de-AT; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090825

That is the original SeaMonkey that I compiled to get the GRE for the update.

You will find my original post and my usage conditions in Development Forum.

@siria: AFAIRemember I forgot to include 9x version of K-Meleon.exe. Just in case.

@ All sorry for the inconvenience that is possibly coming via the update that is probably based on my GRE build.

Folder mentioned in Development Forum link also contains a fairly new Firefox II that is made to allow cross error checking against another Mozilla 1.8.x GRE http://two.xthost.info/kmupdate/firefox2.0.0.22.7z

Links provided under condition that I am not held responsible as madness instigator smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 11:39AM by guenter.

Attachments: svg.gif (36.8 KB)  
Date: October 18, 2009 11:40AM

The second file actually is a PNG, I think it's purpose is merely to show the content of the SVG to people who can't see it ;-)

Thanx Guenter, no prob with the missing 9x-exe, I've got one to copy grinning smiley

Date: October 18, 2009 01:47PM

guenter
The first example does not work! It does not for a number of GRE.

The second example does work with.

EDIT: I deleted this reply tongue sticking out smiley

Well just telling what siria replied. The second link I posted is if for any reason the hotlink wasn't possible with the first. (talking about the wikimedia links, not the first posted)

guenter
@ All sorry for the inconvenience that is possibly coming via the update that is probably based on my GRE build.

Folder mentioned in Development Forum link also contains a fairly new Firefox II that is made to allow cross error checking against another Mozilla 1.8.x GRE http://two.xthost.info/kmupdate/firefox2.0.0.22.7z

Links provided under condition that I am not held responsible as madness instigator smiling smiley

Anyway with that update doesn't work either, right? My updated version is the one desga2 posted, that I think is yours too.

I think we all need to go back to 1.8.1.22 backup (If you have. I have myself)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 01:50PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 18, 2009 02:08PM

Ok, if this is so. sad smiley

Sorry that I did not understand that the second was a png example.

Well I have a problem with the first link with this official version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090331 K-Meleon/1.5.3

I also had trouble with Lunascape 5's Gecko engine.

So the question is when was this broken plus in what builds.

1.8.1.22 GRE update is compiled with the same params as 1.8.1.23, I am fairly sure.

Perhaps You can use an older dom_svg.xpt with the newer GREs to make things going again. Remember to delete compreg.dat and xpti.dat after You exchanged *.xpt.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: October 18, 2009 03:07PM

guenter
Well I have a problem with the first link with this official version Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090331 K-Meleon/1.5.3

No problem here with the official version Mozilla/5.0
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090331 K-Meleon/1.5.3)

Date: October 18, 2009 03:46PM

JohnHell
Problem found: something was broken with the gecko 1.8.1.23 update.

With the previous version no errors at the url given above and the svg files load correctly.
Just tried it too, and can confirm. KM 153 out-of-the box can display the SVG, even in win98, then done nothing but a gecko-update and the SVG doesn't work anymore :-/

Date: October 18, 2009 03:47PM

Yogi
guenter

No problem here with the official version Mozilla/5.0
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090331 K-Meleon/1.5.3)

Shouldn't have problems with 1.8.1.21 as I tested before 1.8.1.22 by mistake yesterday. The functionality is broken since 1.8.1.23 update.

@guenter, if it has the same params, something strange is happening. I'll try now, after posting, to use that file.

EDIT :

@siria, that is it, the update broke the functionality.

EDIT after TEST:

That file has nothing to do with this issue :/

Still tries to download instead open svg files and the error about browser support in the other link :/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 03:58PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: desga2
Date: October 18, 2009 04:41PM

OK, no problem, yes really in my last update to Gecko 1.8.1.23 builded by guenter SVG support isn't included.

@ guenter:
Please, check your build options to SVG support in .mozconfig file;
ac_add_options --enable-svg

If you checked gklayout.dll file in \components with an Hexadecimal viewer and search for "svg" or "SVG" text you not find any match. In before update 1.8.1.22 and original SM file there are a lot of matchs.

@ To all people with Gecko updated to 1.8.1.23:
Can solved this problem downloaded this gklayout.dll file (this is the unique file affected by this problem) from Seamonkey 1.1.18 and unzipped it in K-Meleon\components\ folder, overwriting the existing file:
gklayout.zip

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 07:26PM by desga2.

Date: October 18, 2009 05:13PM

TADA! Life can be so easy grinning smiley
Glad it was only a little glitch and no gecko-bug, uff. Can happen ;-)

Date: October 18, 2009 06:48PM

Thanks desga smiling smiley

Copied from my own 1.1.18 and working again smiling smiley

(I'm going to edit thread title to aware people smiling smiley)

Date: October 18, 2009 10:11PM

desga2
OK, no problem, yes really in my last update to Gecko 1.8.1.23 builded by guenter SVG support isn't included.

@ guenter:
Please, check your build options to SVG support in .mozconfig file;
ac_add_options --enable-svg

If you checked gklayout.dll file in \components with an Hexadecimal viewer and search for "svg" or "SVG" text you not find any match. In before update 1.8.1.22 and original SM file there are a lot of matchs.

Yes, mea culpa, I used a .mozconfig where the option is missing.
I must have assumed svg was a default.

I have another Mozilla Source Folder from which I build earlier this evening, which I can trash. It build without support - when the option was on sad smiley.

Now I wait till the next build completes using one more similar to Dorian's .mozconfig except optimizing for speed not size - and I wait now what comes out. Hope this pulls it through - else, I might have broken the free build environment that I spent many hours to get working.

I hope to know soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2009 10:12PM by guenter.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 19, 2009 03:16PM

desga2,

Yes, that dll did the trick. Works fine now. Thanks.

N

Posted by: JamesD
Date: October 19, 2009 05:43PM

OK, I am a complete newbi when it comes to SVG. I have put the new dll file into my KM. Now the site that says "test svg" does not ask me to save or download when I click on one of the dates in the page. However, nothing happens. Am I supposed to see something different? When I click on one of the pictures by a date then I get a new page that is blank. How do I actually know something is working?

Date: October 19, 2009 05:45PM

JamesD
OK, I am a complete newbi when it comes to SVG. I have put the new dll file into my KM. Now the site that says "test svg" does not ask me to save or download when I click on one of the dates in the page. However, nothing happens. Am I supposed to see something different? When I click on one of the pictures by a date then I get a new page that is blank. How do I actually know something is working?

The page is not blank, it's a vector graphic extra-large. Scroll the window to view the vector graphic.

If for any reason you are not using the correct link:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Test.svg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 05:46PM by JohnHell.

Date: October 19, 2009 11:26PM

@ JohnHell

Ok, I was wrong before. I was opening in a new tab. This time I just clicked on the link. There is a quick ( too fast to read ) display in the statusbar and that is all that happens. I remain on the forum page. I am no longer asked about Open/Save.

The file I replaced was gklayout.dll and the current version has the date modified info as 8/25/09 3:33 PM

Date: October 19, 2009 11:34PM

JamesD
@ JohnHell

Ok, I was wrong before. I was opening in a new tab. This time I just clicked on the link. There is a quick ( too fast to read ) display in the statusbar and that is all that happens. I remain on the forum page. I am no longer asked about Open/Save.

The file I replaced was gklayout.dll and the current version has the date modified info as 8/25/09 3:33 PM

Did you delete the files xpti.dat and compreg.dat from components folder (the two only .dat files in the folder) after overwrite the file?

EDIT: all with the browser closed, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 11:35PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: mslayer
Date: October 20, 2009 02:35AM

Thanks, I was having the same problem that JamesD, after deleting those files it works OK.

Date: October 20, 2009 11:54AM

Yes! I deleted the dat files and now it works just fine.

Many thanks for the help.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.