NB! K-Meleon compatible default UserAgent
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 16, 2013 01:36AM

ATTENTION!

Dear K-Meleonairies! I have one VERY important message for you!

It was just almost obvious but every time it slided away from me (and most of us).

The problem of compatibility we have last years leads us to use fake UA-string (mainly Firefox) - and this consequently leads to K-Meleon name not to be present at the web at all.

But there is no need to betrayal. UA strings syntax gives us a way to have both compatibility and trustiness to our Name.

I've made some tests, so I found most compatible UA-string which is defined by web-robots as K-Meleon but works like Mozilla.

It's tested on the most fastidious sites like Google (including Google Drive), Facebook and it works.

So the next default UserAgent string for Twin will be:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 K-Meleon/1.6 (Twin 3.6.28-based)

Gecko/20120306 is the most crucial part of it for compatibility
and
K-Meleon/1.6 - one for identity.

(Twin 3.6.28-based) part is optional.

********************************************************************************
So I ask all of us use some UA-string of such a type to show all that KM is alive (while not missing any possible functionality)

********************************************************************************

I recommend this one as default for any KM-build:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 K-Meleon/1.6
feel free to change details about your system (6.1 - Win7 etc.; locale and so on)

Strings like this
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20130405 K-Meleon/1.6
make no sense as for some unknown reason it fails (like almost all modern FF UA-strings with version 4 and above) on Facebook and gives no advantages on Google (no new GUI), so I recommend set as alternative such a string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:22.0) Gecko/20130405 Firefox/22.0 (K-Meleon 1.6)
and use it through Auto Agentswitch (which needs some modification of kmm-code to insert UA-string given above)
or handle it by using js-file and instructions by adodupan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2013 01:39AM by rodocop.

Re: NB! K-Meleon compatible default UserAgent
Posted by: rodocop
Date: June 16, 2013 02:10AM

Comrade adodupan!

I need your help. Your way of setting site-specific UA-string doesn't work for me.

I've placed your js-file into 'components', deleted dat-files there, restarted KM, but my test failed - Google set by the specified preference to be handled with Firefox is shown like with KM default string...

What could be wrong? Might it be connected with unique component ID? Or what? Couldn't you clarify this?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.