General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Cache options
Posted by: caktus
Date: May 24, 2009 09:44PM

Is the a way to remove the "Cache encrypted contents on disc" option in Preferences.

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cache options
Posted by: desga2
Date: May 25, 2009 06:56PM

Do you like disable this option from preference panel or delete it to any user can change it from preferences?

You can do it if you changed \K-Meleon\chrome\embed.jar file, if you open it or extract it with 7zip (for example, remember that .jar is a .zip file really) inside folder \kmprefs\content\ you can found the preference panels and you can edit his source code.

You have two options; delete/comment this option in source code or set this element like disable in his definition properties.

After the changes you can zipped all files witout compression again and set extension in file to .jar.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2009 06:58PM by desga2.

Posted by: caktus
Date: May 27, 2009 06:49AM

desga2
Do you like disable this option from preference panel or delete it to any user can change it from preferences?

You can do it if you changed \K-Meleon\chrome\embed.jar file, if you open it or extract it with 7zip (for example, remember that .jar is a .zip file really) inside folder \kmprefs\content\ you can found the preference panels and you can edit his source code.

You have two options; delete/comment this option in source code or set this element like disable in his definition properties.

After the changes you can zipped all files witout compression again and set extension in file to .jar.

When I get to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\K-Meleon1.5.2en-US\chrome\embed.jar\kmprefs\content\I am at al loss. I have tried commenting out or deleting SSL refernces in the pref-cache.xul but no change to "Cache encrypted contents......"

Can you help me with step-by-step instructions?

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2009 06:50AM by caktus.

Posted by: desga2
Date: May 31, 2009 02:45AM

caktus
... C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\K-Meleon1.5.2en-US\chrome\embed.jar\kmprefs\content\
... I have tried commenting out or deleting SSL refernces in the pref-cache.xul but no change to "Cache encrypted contents..."

I supussed you are using K-Meleon 1.5.2;

1) Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\K-Meleon1.5.2en-US\chrome\embed.jar

2) Extract embed.jar file in a new temporal directory.

3) Go to the above temp directory created, and go to \kmprefs\content\kmprefs

4) Open ovrl-cache.xul file in a text editor (Notepad++, PSPad or similar).

5) You have 2 ways to do it 5a or 5b (different program style similar result):

5a) This way show the option disabled. In ovrl-cache.xul file on text editor go to line 84:

document.getElementById(this.pref[1]).disabled = dis;

Comment this line:
	<!-- document.getElementById(this.pref[1]).disabled = dis; -->

Now go to line 110:

<checkbox oncommand="toggleCheckbox(this.id)" id="browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" label="&cache.dsk.ssl;" style="margin-left:2em"/>

And add this attribute: disabled="true"

<checkbox disabled="true" oncommand="toggleCheckbox(this.id)" id="browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" label="&cache.dsk.ssl;" style="margin-left:2em"/>

5b) This way hide the option. In ovrl-cache.xul file on text editor go to line 110:

<checkbox oncommand="toggleCheckbox(this.id)" id="browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" label="&cache.dsk.ssl;" style="margin-left:2em"/>

Comment this line:

<!-- <checkbox oncommand="toggleCheckbox(this.id)" id="browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl" label="&cache.dsk.ssl;" style="margin-left:2em"/> -->

6) Save changes in file and zip the embed.jar file again (usually this jar files in K-Meleon are ziped without compress, only archived in one file). Remember add to embed.jar file only all folders contained in the temp folder created above, not full the temp directory.

7) Rename original embed.jar file in your K-Meleon\chrome directory to embed.bak and copy your new modified embed.jar file in your K-Meleon\chrome directory.

Remember you can change this pref in about:config with pref:
browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl

Also with option 5a) you can add some text in option for the user in label attribute, for example;
label="&cache.dsk.ssl; (Blocked by the Admin)"

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.