General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Sites hard-wired for IE 9
Posted by: caktus
Date: September 10, 2012 05:39PM

More and More web sites are advising users, including KM users that we are using an out dated browser and requiring IE 9, which I understand is only available to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

These sites mention that they will also accept the latest version of FF, which for some reason has always been buggy on my systems, Windows XP Home and Windows ME.

My home is paid off but the builder isn't hitting me up for more money so I can keep using it. My vehicle is paid off while the manufacturer is not hitting me up for more money so I can keep driving it. QuickBooks once downloaded a security update (really a bomb) that locked me out of all of my business accounts and telling me I would have to shell out more cash to upgrade in order to regain access to my business files which went over like a led balloon with me and I since created my on filing system with Word and Works. I detest being badgered.

MS, and perhaps most troubling, developers/site owners are hard-wiring their web sites so us consumers have to keep doling out endless streams of our hard-earned and often limited supplies of cash to replace what already suites our needs.

Is there a KM work-around for dealing with these hard-balling web sites? I am using KM 1.5.4.

Thank you.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sites hard-wired for IE 9
Posted by: HTML5
Date: September 11, 2012 02:19PM

Don't use outdated browser, simple as that.

Firefox 15.0.1 is much much faster than outdated Kmeleon and runs rings around it in benchmarks and HTML5 support. Don't be like IE6 users, holding back the Web.

Posted from Firefox 18.

Date: September 11, 2012 03:19PM

HTML5

Firefox 15.0.1 is much much faster than outdated Kmeleon and runs rings around it in benchmarks and HTML5 support. Don't be like IE6 users, holding back the Web.

Posted from Firefox 18.

Thank you, HTML5.

I guess I'll have to break down and give the FF 15.0.1 a try. Does anyone know when/if KM will become HTML 5 compatible?

Charlie

Posted by: Kleon
Date: September 11, 2012 03:35PM

caktus
More and More web sites are advising users, including KM users that we are using an out dated browser and requiring IE 9, which I understand is only available to Windows Vista and Windows 7.

These sites mention that they will also accept the latest version of FF, which for some reason has always been buggy on my systems, Windows XP Home and Windows ME.

You probably don't need either IE9 or FF 15, since there are other browsers available that can view the page, although K-Meleon is no longer quite up to it. sad smiley

See this page: http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/

——————————————————————————
Windows XP Pro SP3 | K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta2
Trying out various subspecies of the lizard smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2012 03:36PM by Kleon.

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: September 13, 2012 02:57AM

found out that most of the problems in some websites which recommends the latest, newest browsers could all be solved by using a newer updated user agent string. Newer than the ones inside K-mels instal..............

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: September 13, 2012 03:14AM

try this, or google search........

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 13, 2012 02:20PM

caktus
HTML5

Posted from Firefox 18.

Thank you, HTML5.

I guess I'll have to break down and give the FF 15.0.1 a try. Does anyone know when/if KM will become HTML 5 compatible?

Hi Charlie,

As HTML5 is using a beta Firefox, perhaps you'll excuse me for wondering what he is doing in a K-Meleon forum. We're not state of the art anymore, but KM has its uses with its extensive, user-configurable macro language.

As for Fx 15, I think it is a fine browser and I keep a copy of it around for testing purposes. Don't like the rapid release policy and having all my extensions broken every six weeks. My solution was to go to portable apps and use the ESR version instead. It has all the bugfixes, without the headaches and a big plus for me, is it is portable, so nothing is written to the registry making it easy to change whenever you wish without having to resort to something like revouninstaller.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

N

Date: September 15, 2012 04:06AM

ndebord
caktus
HTML5

Posted from Firefox 18.

Thank you, HTML5.

Hi Charlie,

As HTML5 is using a beta Firefox, perhaps you'll excuse me for wondering what he is doing in a K-Meleon forum. We're not state of the art anymore, but KM has its uses with its extensive, user-configurable macro language.

As for Fx 15, I think it is a fine browser and I keep a copy of it around for testing purposes. Don't like the rapid release policy and having all my extensions broken every six weeks. My solution was to go to portable apps and use the ESR version instead. It has all the bugfixes, without the headaches and a big plus for me, is it is portable, so nothing is written to the registry making it easy to change whenever you wish without having to resort to something like revouninstaller.

I tried the FF15. Compared to KM it was like never waking from a bad dream. Suddenly I was surrounded by restriction after restriction, and that was after adding a bunch of plugins. As with other versions of FF, it kept stealing default status and after uninstalling it some of the Internet shortcuts want to keep the FF icon even after toggling associations. I guess I have gotten used to KM and all it's simple configurability.

I think I'd rather keep using KM and let the cookies crumble where they may. I was hoping Fireslut would fix the problem but no dice.I fail to understand why some sites want to insist on requiring browsers that don't apply to most currently used OS's or are simply not worth the trouble, and the cost of loosing [probably a lot of] traffic.:s Oh, well! Their loss is much bigger than mine.

Charlie

Posted by: ndebord
Date: September 20, 2012 02:29PM

caktus
ndebord
caktus
HTML5

Posted from Firefox 18.

Thank you, HTML5.

Hi Charlie,

I tried the FF15. Compared to KM it was like never waking from a bad dream. Suddenly I was surrounded by restriction after restriction, and that was after adding a bunch of plugins. As with other versions of FF, it kept stealing default status and after uninstalling it some of the Internet shortcuts want to keep the FF icon even after toggling associations. I guess I have gotten used to KM and all it's simple configurability.

I think I'd rather keep using KM and let the cookies crumble where they may. I was hoping Fireslut would fix the problem but no dice.I fail to understand why some sites want to insist on requiring browsers that don't apply to most currently used OS's or are simply not worth the trouble, and the cost of loosing [probably a lot of] traffic.:s Oh, well! Their loss is much bigger than mine.

Charlie,

There will be sites where you must use either IE, Chrome or Firefox, so do take a look at the portable ESR version. There are ways to tweak it in about config or in the user.js file to get rid of lots of the annoying stuff that the Mozilla elves cook up while eating strange mushrooms. Firefox has become a tinkerer's dream and an end user's nightmare in some ways. Too many changes, often for no discernable reason that I can see.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.