General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Unwanted prompt after downloading image - how to eliminate it?
Posted by: socman
Date: April 04, 2012 12:44PM

Using 1.5.4

After I download and save an image from the net, a box appears with a progress bar and which gives me three choices: "open file", "open folder" and "close". Prior to this I never got this box, and this presents an added step.

Before now, I'd just right click on the image, choose "save image as" and "save" it. Now I'm given this additional step/box and choices and I want to get rid of it. This never happened before with my Kmeleon

Only thing I changed was my computer crashed, and I recently downloaded and installed 1.5.4. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unwanted prompt after downloading image - how to eliminate it?
Posted by: Chanson Yu
Date: April 04, 2012 01:02PM

Posted by: Michael
Date: April 07, 2012 09:09AM

Hi, Chanson Yu...

Thank you for posting up a screen of the settings box section regarding downloading files, but I don't think that quite solves the problem. What would be nice, is the option to turn off the prompt after an image download but ONLY for images, so if the user wants to they can still retain the prompt for other types of files. I DO want to be asked what I want to do with an .exe file when I've downloaded it for example, but I DON'T want to be prompted after every image download (as it is with most other browsers and used to be with K-Meleon). It gets most tiresome when saving lots of images and makes it all very labourious. I think that's what the topic creator wanted too.

Currently though, with the latest version of the browser, it seems to be all or nothing...a notification after ALL Files, including images, downloaded...or notification for none. Perhaps this might be one for the topic creator to raise in the Feature Request subforum.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 07, 2012 02:38PM

@ Michael

The last item on the pictue that Chanson Yu included can be checked if all your images go one place. It is called 'Save as option'. You don't get a chance to change the name of the file or the location. It goes to the default location with whatever name it had on the website, and there is no prompt.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: rodocop
Date: April 12, 2012 12:36PM

I think you have to try 2 options:

1) use KM 1.6
2) try Quick Image Save NT extension for instant saving images

Date: April 12, 2012 09:30PM

Well, sometimes my images are downloaded to one folder, other times to another folder, so a default folder isn't really a solution (for me personally). How stable is 1.6?

Date: April 12, 2012 11:07PM

KM 1.6 beta 2 and above are very stable. There is a beta 2.5 that can be obtained here. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot5_en-US.7z
Note that the beta versions are in English only.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: fakey
Date: April 13, 2012 08:32PM

Sorry about being OT but...

What is the beta2.5?(and 2.4?)
Why is it labeled like an official version and distributed like an unofficial one?

Date: April 13, 2012 11:46PM

There seems to be no 'official' team working on KM right now. That is not to say there are no people working on it, just the regular team is not developing new code.

I did the beta 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5 versions. There is little or no new code there. The basis for these builds is the beta 2 by desga2. I have gotten help from deadlock, guenter and others. In the case of the history plugin it was just a re-compile of the original code. Guenter also supplied a later Gecko engine. The spell check is fully integrated now and a jar file has stuff for spell check that makes us legal to use. Some items about troubleshooting and zoom have been fixed. There are many other small adjustments. The k-meleon.exe file is unchanged.

The code is not presented as 'official' because I am not a 'developer' and I have no access to the KM downloads page at SourceForge.

These versions are stable.

JamesD

Posted by: fakey
Date: April 14, 2012 03:53AM

Thank you for the explanation.
Good to know K-Meleon is still being improved.

Date: April 15, 2012 09:05PM

Is there a change log for the betas?

Date: April 16, 2012 12:19PM

Well, it was sort of like this:

Release 2.3
Begin with the official KM 1.6.0 beta2 7zip file. Extract to a test folder.
Update the test folder with the new Gecko engine. (1.9.1.20)
Add the spelltest.dll file to the kplugins folder.
Add the spelltest.kmm file to the macros folder.
Replace embed.jar file in chrome folder with updated file.
Replace troubleshooting.kmm with updated file.
Replace main.kmm with updated file.
Replace zoom.kmm with updated file.
Edit the readme.html file to change beta2 to beta 2.3.
Verify that compreg.dat and xpti.dat do not exist in components.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot3_en-US.7z

Release 2.4
Remove spelltest.kmm file.
Replace privacy.dll file. ( Clear history now works. )
Edit accel.cfg file for spelltest code.
Edit menus.cft file for spelltest code.
Edit main.kmm file for spelltest code.
Better handling of zoom.
Edit the readme.html file to change beta 2.3 to beta 2.4.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

Release 2.5
Went back to old way of handling spelltest at request of someone.
( I had hopes they would do a real beta 3 - has not happened. )
Edit the readme.html file to change beta 2.4 to beta 2.5.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot5_en-US.7z

I hope this is right, but at my age with my memory, who knows.

JamesD

Date: April 20, 2012 08:14PM

Thanks JamesD.

I am a little mystefied about the c++ developer issue. K-Meleon seems to have a very passionate core of users. There are many praises to sing about the browser, it can more then hold its own with all the leading browsers out there (and in my personal view, is much better then them in certain key ways) and it would be more excellent still if we had a c++ developer to advance the project. Why is the KM project therefore, finding it such a struggle to recruit a c++ developer volunteer? Has there actually been an active attempt to go out and try and recruit some volunteers or has it been more passive...sort of hoping that one just drops by the forum one day and says "Hey guys!"? If it's the former, why has nobody been found? Are there some underlying issues/problems with the project that acts (or may do so) as a deterrent to potential c++ volunteers? Or some other reason...is the KM browser not considered glamerous/sexy enough? Or, is there just an overall shortage of people out there that are competent in C++? Is it a particularly difficult language to learn? Not a popular one?

I'm just trying to get to the root of what the problem is.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 22, 2012 11:15AM

In my humble opinion, the main problem is what K-meleon involves by itself. It's like make macros.

What am I meaning?: reverse engineering. (I'm using reverse engineering in a very wide sense)

With macros, you need to understand html and javascript to change the way a page is displayed (in case you are searching for it) and you need in some cases to reverse engineering the code of a page to hack it.

With K-meleon, you have to learn C, C++ and Visual C++ (ok, all could be in the same package), then, XUL (XML and javascript), and then comes de reverse engineering to re-adapt the Gecko engine calls to the native Windows user interface not to the XUL interface.

I think that that is a "nice" handicap.

Talking by myself, learning C (and I'm not talking about C++ or Visual C++) is not that easy and it is a wide language. God, I have a book with over 400 pages just for C. I tried several times and, because of no time, I left another several times.

But it is true, there hasn't be recruitments (I don't know, to be fair).

This is just my point of view.

P.S.: JamesD, you have talked about 2.5 and I haven't seen posted in the forum and even your signature displays 2.4. Is it available somewhere?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2012 11:16AM by JohnHell.

Date: April 22, 2012 11:59AM

Here is the 2.5 version. There is no real gain over the 2.4 version. It only has spelltest packaged a little differently. Desga2 asked for it, but then nothing ever happened for a beta 3.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot5_en-US.7z

JamesD

Posted by: meee
Date: April 30, 2012 08:25AM

@Michael

- lack of communication between devs and users, core developer left without saying a word; no drafts, no planning hence no recruitments, so kmeleon is now abandonware
- it is very unpopular browser; except of bunch of geeks nobody uses kmeleon

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 30, 2012 08:44PM

- lack of communication between devs and users, core developer left without saying a word; no drafts, no planning hence no recruitments, so kmeleon is now abandonware
Yes, it's an idea ... pay a developper, and k-meleon will keep alive ...
Do you confirm you want to pay ?

- it is very unpopular browser; except of bunch of geeks nobody uses kmeleon
I haven't heard about this unpopularity ... perhaps on radio gutter ...

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: bksening
Date: May 01, 2012 02:49AM

I think haven't heard about it *is* the unpopularity. And even most geeks I asked don't know that there is a KMeleon browser.

Granted, I think all of those geeks do now after I asked them tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 02:50AM by bksening.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.