General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Strange problem with 1.6
Posted by: rodocop
Date: March 30, 2012 07:57AM

What is the real difference between 1.9.1 and 1.9.2 Geckos?

The reason to ask this is some strange problem I have on my PC (Athlon XP+2200, 1gb RAM, Win XP Pro).
At some point it start to reboot (or fall into BSOD) while working with browsers for sometime. Strange thing is that - while fails are clearly connected with hardware - this happens only when working with some browsers (KM 1.6 branch and earlier, Opera) and never with Chrome or KM 1.7 branch.

With KM 1.6 falls are dependent on some performance settings - for example the more is the value for
network.http.max-connections
the faster it falls. The more is the number of open tabs - the faster it falls. It seems to be not about overheat of MB or CPU as it can fall even when KM is idle (no loading, no input, just stay open). I have two different BSODs appearing - one of them points on some tcpip.sys problem as one of the reason.

But any 1.7-build isn't producing falls.

I've noticed that 1.6 and earlier versions have many files in Components folder (it is obvious that they are parts of Gecko) and 1.7's has far less files there.
Is the new big xul.dll exactly what replaces all the old gecko stuff?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange problem with 1.6
Posted by: km2
Date: March 30, 2012 10:39AM

Switch from ram caching to disk caching or vise versa, just for test if that make difference. Are you using ram disk?

Drop all kplugins from folder and make a test.

Re: Strange problem with 1.6
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 31, 2012 11:37AM

rodocop
With KM 1.6 falls are dependent on some performance settings - for example the more is the value for
network.http.max-connections
the faster it falls. The more is the number of open tabs - the faster it falls. It seems to be not about overheat of MB or CPU as it can fall even when KM is idle (no loading, no input, just stay open). I have two different BSODs appearing - one of them points on some tcpip.sys problem as one of the reason.

With that being said, the most common problem is with the ethernet card driver, if you are using one, if not just update XP with latest updates for tcp involved files, or a USB modem driver (again).

Have you changed anything to your hardware lately?

As you say it is not only happening with K-meleon, but with Opera too, it is probably what I said.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.