General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
No YouTube or streming media support ?!
Posted by: Nort
Date: November 28, 2011 05:43PM

Hi all....First of all,I would just like to say that tis is an AWESOME webbrowser,very quick,easy to use,its a joy to use it with my olderlaptop
thats running win 98 se.

The *only** thin that I cannot do online,is watch *any** strminubg video,like Google videos,or Youtube videos.
I know this is a direct result of windows 98 se,its sooo old,I realise that,but isnt that what K-Meleon is designed for,to run efficiantlyon the older systems,like 98se.

Is there a patch,or bug fix slash update in the works that will allow a auser
to install the latest flash,I tink its 11 point something...

...If theres no fix in the works that willadress this issue,then Im going to install Kabuntu,I hear it that works great on older win.98se laptops,ect....and has a web browser that works so you can watch videos,too...

Obviously,tough,if I can avoid instaling a new os,then I will since I likemy oldlaptop winking smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: No YouTube or streming media support ?!
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 28, 2011 07:30PM

What errors give, what is the exact problem :-?

I tested, right now, an old 9.0.115 I had here, that is older than the latest 9.x version available to 98se, and without javascript, and... you know what?, worked without touching anything with YouTube.

Indeed, I haven't tested, but with 9.x there is, or there shouldn't, no problems with rtmp.

Yes, I'm using Windows 2000, but, beyond the possibility of install, or not, of a newer version, Flash is not dependent on the OS host. I may be wrong, of course.

Anyway, you have KernelEx, that I don't know if lets install newer versions, but read carefully before install it. I think you can find it at MSFN forums.

As I said, I may be wrong, but you shouldn't have problem. There are several users here with Windows 98.

Date: November 28, 2011 08:03PM

I didn't remember I had network enabled on my virtual machine with 98SE.

I was able to play flash content with 9.0.115 and K-meleon 1.1.x.

Youtube hangs, but I was able to play one of the videos, I don't know why the others weren't. Probably is caused because I don't have power enough to run flash within a virtual machine (I'm on a humble Pentium 4).

I also could play rtmp streaming.

Date: November 29, 2011 01:22AM

HI,lol...I was just about to click the post message button,but beforedoing so,I went again to youtube and,although I can get to the site,and I can see the pause button/stop,re-size,etcetera,it wouldjust freeze my laptop up-completly...

But anyways,I do realise that flash would likley not be os dependant,as far as upgrading and so on,but I can tell you that Imnot able to view any youtube vid's on any other browsers out there,obvioussly theres no support,but like I was saying,I think K-Meleon has been designed to be accesable across most platforms,even the dinasour ones,like98se.....

....Are there *any**other users out there who cannot enjoy you tube,or streming media?Did you comeup w/q workaround,orjust avoid you tube and googlevid's,or movies.

I have thought of a good idea for a work-around,for tis issue,if they could makesomekinda patch that allows you to select a stand-alone software to view you tube vid's,like VLC player,or,of coarse,the *best*option for te user,if possable,wouldbe to write a patch that allows Flash to be up-dated within the K-Meleon browser itself....

Posted by: Chanson Yu
Date: November 29, 2011 01:38AM

Hi,have you tried the Flash Player 10.0.45.2 (9x) or Flash Player 9.0.289.0 (9x) plugins from here ?

Posted by: MXB
Date: November 29, 2011 02:34AM

I too can't use YT or Internet Radio (flash based) with KM any more. Was working a few months ago but stopped.

--
P2 400 MHz, 128 MB, Win 98 SE

Posted by: rodocop
Date: November 29, 2011 06:27AM

Dear newbies!

When asking for help please help your helpers! Please specify your version of KM used.

And general recommendation are:

- if using KM 1.5.x - switch to 1.6beta-based or 1.7-alpha-based (there are numerous links to portable builds, working properly and not touching your existing installations).
All modern flash and mass-scripted sites are usable with new builds

- if using Win98, try install KernelEx, that would allow you to migrate from old versions of KM and Flashplayer to actual ones. No 100% compatibility with 98se-systems but about 90-95% succeeded. Worth trying.

You can use links from my signature for example.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 06:39AM by rodocop.

Date: November 29, 2011 11:33AM

Hi,Version number of K-Meleon 1.5.4,I did try installing "Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se",and this hack/update pkg created back in 07,I believe,solved the vary issue Im refering to now,and it does actually have a version of "KernelEx",and,yes....I also installed the latest verion of this.....and........same.

CHANSEN > Thank you for the advice,I promptly followed the linkprovided,and
installed "Flash Player 9.0.289.0 (9x)".....I didnt go any further,since,number one,did I install tis right?I went to the actual install folder,and in the one titled "plugin",I placed that downloaded file....there was another folder inside this directory,another plug-in(similar),and so I also put the same file in that folder also....Re-boot,same....

Date: November 29, 2011 11:35AM

...It just may be time to install Kabuntu,my bro in law and nephuew just did,and say its user friendly and works on old comps like win 98se!!lol

Date: November 29, 2011 11:41AM

I did attemp tis,and although I am....newbee....Ahem(!),lol,it was a good idea totry this also,I didup grade,but couldent find the link to dload the file (runtime files?!) that go with it in a seperate installer pkg...

Date: November 29, 2011 02:45PM

You really gave up quick...

To ensure the version you have installed go to:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

or just open about:plugins (Help menu too).

The plugin, if you have any trouble with it, can be placed in plugins folder (that way is recognized, yes, or yes), but not kplugins.

Date: November 29, 2011 06:13PM

Nort,
please, give us more detailed and clear information.

As I understand, you've got Win98 patches including KernelEx and try to upgrade KM to the new version (what one exactly?)

I don't understand what runtimes you miss - if you mean msvcp80.dll & msvcr80.dll, then you can get them here.
Also they are packed into portable builds and you can copy them to windows/system directory and register them manually:
REGSVR32 msvcp80.dll
REGSVR32 msvcr80.dll

If you mean flashplayer, then having KernelEx you can install new builds of Flash up yo 11.x as I know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 06:13PM by rodocop.

Date: November 29, 2011 07:05PM

I found detailed Nort's post so I put it here in order the community can help:
Nort
Hi all,first of all,I would like to apolagise,since,as a new member,I basically
posted this message,in the 'General' section .

....And,I did gain some valuable feed-back.Non the less,the issue does require the attention of this section,as,Im quite sure there are *many* more users out there of K-Meleon,using older winn.98 se machines(laptop in my case)...Who are un-aware of this issue(if they never visit you-tube,or watch MSNBC new clips online,use Skype...etcetera....Yeah,I know,I never thought it was possable either winking smiley ).

....Are there *any**other users out there who cannot enjoy you tube,or streming media?Did you comeup w/q workaround,or just avoid you tube and google vid's,or movies.

**************** The Request of this post ; *************************************
>Create a patch for those running using win 98se,A patch that will allow the user to up-date their currant Flash to newer versions,so that YouTube / Google Video /Mega Video can be watched & enjoyed .

>Or a work-around,where I can click a box,and manually select a you tube player(like VLC) - *only** the video would be handled by the stand-alone player.

*********************************************************************************
- = Computer Specification's = -

ibmthink pad
o/s win.98 se / 32 bit
memory; 128MB
H.D 9 gig
400-MHz Celeron

> Version number of K-Meleon 1.5.4,is my currant browser.

>I did install "Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se",and this hack/update pkg created back in 07 -
it resolved a similar issue,whare a user couldent watch media on youtube,or it was simply way to choppy to enjoy.
..a version of "KernelEx" is inc. with the installer.

******************************************************************************************

> I have installed the latest verion of Kernel Ex,
I have also,as one user pointedout,installed the flash-plugin,

>I have since tried both, Flash-Plug-in's,but Im not absolutly sure
if I have installed properly(?)

>I installed the plug-in's for Flash in these method(s)
...I opened the instal folder of K-Meleon,in the directory,ther are two folders,
KPLUGINS, / PLUGING, /
So,to cover all the basis,I put a copy of the "Flash Player 9.0.289.0 (9x) plugins " into each folder.

There was also a 'MODULES' folder in the directory,but I did not put acopy of this file into it,but uh,I was thinking about trying it,just to see.

Does anybody notice similar issues with K-Meleom when visiting sites like 'youtube','google video','mega-video',etcetera?

I must say,that,other than that,K-Meleon *IS* the best web-browser that runs the smoothest of evey web browser that I installed on this win.98se laptopwinking smiley

..Allot of people might say,its time to up-grade,ect ect...To them I would say,its a bit arder to justify a new computer purchase,since I have been married only just over a year,and we allready have another mouth to feedwinking smiley.....
And,since Im not a gamer,well,I souldent say that,I really enjoy the classic arcade or old nintendo 2 d side scroll stuff,but can you believe that this old laptop is still usefull tomy wife & I,bud jeting,email,researching,etcetera...

Finally(sorry for te LONGGGGG postwinking smiley......

'Nort

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 07:06PM by rodocop.

Date: November 30, 2011 01:08AM

Maybe the problem is the CPU.

I tested again with my 98se virtual machine, and I was able to play all youtube videos I tried (only 3, but I think it was enough). (Well, play... I have not enough power, but the frames were moving grinning smiley at 1 per second or so LOL)

The only thing I have changed today is that I blocked via hosts file ajax.googleapis.com in the machine that resolves DNS requests to the virtual machine.

As you say you have problems with other streaming sites, it won't help you much, but may be a hint (ajax.googleapis.com is used in all kind of websites).

(EDIT: I fixed a typo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 02:26AM by JohnHell.

Date: November 30, 2011 01:08AM

..Really?I honestly feel that I am avery thourall person,when it comes to research and trying different methods.I may be misunderstanding something,Im sorry,my english skills are only satisfactory,my first language is Rusian.
...But I am open toyour input or advice winking smiley

Posted by: oba3
Date: November 30, 2011 02:21AM

We need to give kudos to the people mentaining the site for job well done.Let us remember that it is an open source project. i believe when there is observation on any thing by anybody either new or old user the best respond is on how to work on this info to bring best and improve version.A site that has many users should be ready to face comments from many people..Now the latest version is 1.6.0 wish i use on window 7.,yet playing video on you tube has been the problem i am facing till now,even i cannot download current version of adobe flash player.I believe the committers (programmers metaining the site) need to look inward to improve this as soon as possible

Date: November 30, 2011 02:24AM

English isn't my first language either tongue sticking out smiley

What I was telling you is to go to Windows folder and edit the file hosts.sam adding the line (without quotes) "127.0.0.1 ajax.googleapis.com" and save it. Maybe blocking that host, that, basically, are ads by google, helps.

There is no harm to try.

But also I was saying that a Celeron 400Mhz is not a very powerful CPU for flash, even with lower quality. I have another machine with a Pentium 3 at 700Mhz that struggles with every flash video, so, a 400Mhz, and being Celeron (the "poor" of the family)... is not the best scenario. As MXB said he played in the past, maybe the CPU is not a big deal... but I'm not sure of that.

I hope it helps, if not, I have no more ideas sad smiley

EDIT: oba3, that might be a Windows 7 problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 02:25AM by JohnHell.

Date: November 30, 2011 02:54AM

I agree with the first line 100 percent,somuch so,that if you read myfirst post on this topic,I said EXACTLYwhat you said.

Date: November 30, 2011 02:58AM

yes,I agree w/you..I know the celeron is a lower end chip,less cache for one thing,I heard that somewherewinking smiley
but i will for sure try out your recomendations,in fact imin the process of right now ...

Date: November 30, 2011 03:06AM

Heres myactual firstpost,thefirst paragraph I wrote ;

"Hi all....First of all,I would just like to say that tis is an AWESOME webbrowser,very quick,easy to use,its a joy to use it with my olderlaptop
thats running win 98 se. "

Im only doing exactly what the forums ask the user to do - report issue(s),
share experiences,relate,ect .

Date: November 30, 2011 05:14PM

Nort,
напишите по-русски. Разберемся, может быть.
Чтобы не заставлять остальных читать непонятное, можем перенести общение в почту (ткните мне в ник) или на ветку КМ на руборде

Sorry for russian, folks! I'll try to help my fellow countryman.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 06:05PM by rodocop.

Posted by: megaduu
Date: December 01, 2011 03:58AM

That's what i think too .

Date: December 01, 2011 03:01PM

ha ha a...Ok...My english is *that* bad eh!
I can visit the Russian forum,as well I justnoticed that there are russian forums too,thanks

Date: December 01, 2011 03:05PM

...some have said my english skills are *better** than,even a colage level born in us american...Im so sorry you also feelthisway,but for you,can I ask wy would you feel the same way....you are a troll.

Date: December 01, 2011 03:14PM

...(although I owe to none an explenation....) I *choose* to post in english,it helps me to become better&better...Although I do not have "perfect" english,by posting in english,& reading it and so on,Im only strenghing my skills.

But eally,Im *sure** that oud all agre,my skills are quite exlemplorary compared to even a true-born American,this I have been told on many,many ocasions.

so please do not asume tings or judge me(as I hear said quite allot here)...
if I make anyone feel,ow doI putit...Ah,"embarassed",that my skills in theenglish are better than theirown,believe me,it is NOT my intentio or purpose here.For tis I apolagise.

Date: December 01, 2011 03:19PM

...If you really want to help,t(wich I feel you are a fraud),you can help to actually answer the ORIGINAL post,the reason that I posted,instead of being an ass and copy & pasting Russian text.Grow up .

Date: December 01, 2011 05:04PM

The case is if YOU really want somebody to help you!

No need to boast by your skills. Just write your messages more accurate and coherently.
It's not about 'judging' or 'teaching' - we just try to understand what is your problem exactly and what you've done to solve it besides writing down 'endlesswordswordswords,typos&soon' and once again...

1) Your CPU is very old and outdated - it may hang on playing plain video, what to say about flash video containers
2) KernelEx if installed is the fix you ask for: it allows you work with modern versions of both KM and flashplayer
So just use new KM build and install new flash (plugin or standalone).
May be you'll need last KernelEx build from here
3) this thread has all answers given - where to put plugins and what to try more. Read, try and look.
4) Try to read this russian topic to learn more about upgrading your Win98.
5) If you decide to migrate for Linux, try lightweight distros like Puppy Linux, Bodhi Linux and so on. Search for old PC-oriented distros in Google or at distrowatch.com

Good luck!

Date: December 02, 2011 12:33AM

The case is if YOU really want somebody to help you!
A: the reason I posted in this website to begin with.

No need to boast by your skills. Just write your messages more accurate and coherently.
It's not about 'judging' or 'teaching' - we just try to understand what is your problem exactly and what you've done to solve it besides writing down 'endlesswordswordswords,typos&soon' and once again...
A;yes,Im sorry about the typo's,thats why I mentioned my Russian background
When did I boast,quote where I did so,and I will apolagise for doing so,as Im here to bost,hell,Im a regualr guy with a concern and I typed it here,in the forum to help it be identafied,and (hopefully) fixed via a patch or similar.

ENDLESS-WORD'S,...I was only providing info that you all requested,so Im un-sure what your talking about here.It *IS* a forum....

1) Your CPU is very old and outdated - it may hang on playing plain video, what to say about flash video containers
2) KernelEx if installed is the fix you ask for: it allows you work with modern versions of both KM and flashplayer
So just use new KM build and install new flash (plugin or standalone).
May be you'll need last KernelEx build from here
I have installed the most recent ver,,but BEFORE even doing this,I explained that I had allready installed " Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se" - This program was an "un-oficial" patch for win.98se back in 2007,you can goto www.softpedia.comto download/read more about it .
It did fix a TON of issues,even the same flash problem that was hapening with ie,firefox,opera, at that time as well.
3) this thread has all answers given - where to put plugins and what to try more. Read, try and look.
I never go into battle unprepared.Trust me,I do the home work,but Im also human,and therefore Im not-perfect,but I can take critisism,being corrected.
RodoCop I sincerally apreciate the above 3 recomendations,and have taken themall,already.
The fact are,I stated fromte begining that this is an OLD laptop,and the exact spec's,but,before doing so,I also posted that Im fully aware that this is a free project,ect,and I respect that fact.
however,on the other side of the coin,it's built on the foundation of working on evolving & improving,a < and thats all I wanted to do,was to share my input about youtube not working
The FORUM is where people do this,as you and I well know,its what people use to talk about issues,or make people *aware* of existing one's,and writeapatch/or /work-around to resolve it

4) Try to read this russian topic to learn more about upgrading your Win98.
A: Im aware win.98 is a dead os,and how its un-supported,and how lucky I am to have a browser like K-Meleon that allowsme access to *all** other internet stuff
like e-mail,or reading pdf doc's,ect .

5) If you decide to migrate for Linux, try lightweight distros like Puppy Linux, Bodhi Linux and so on. Search for old PC-oriented distros in Google or at distrowatch.com

I apreciate your advice,and Im going to look at it,thank you.

Good luck![/quote]
Thank's, Robocop winking smiley

Date: December 02, 2011 07:16AM

As I can see, you problem's gone now - yes?

Then we may put [solved] in the heading :-)

Posted by: Fred
Date: December 04, 2011 09:16PM

You can find some Linux distros suitable for older computers
in the K-Meleon Linux user forum, here :

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?11,116835

There is also some advice there about using K-Meleon
with wine and more.

Fred

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.