General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
HOWTO update K-Meleon 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 version
Posted by: kuswara
Date: November 29, 2007 03:40AM

I used K-Meleon 1.1.1 and has been updated 1.1.2 until now this version running well and stable.
I found any new version 1.1.3 and 1.5a but i still confuse to use it.
I tried to install K-M 1.1.3 but i have no idea.
I have trouble with instalation K-Meleon 1.1.3 version.

Please anyone to guide me.

Best regards,

Kuswara

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HOWTO update K-Meleon 1.1.2 to 1.1.3 version
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 29, 2007 06:12AM

1.5 is an "alpha" (that "alpha" or "a" after the name meens it is a test version) with which developers and other PPL that use K-Meleon for a long time test future developments. That is done after the developers tested it alone. They need feeback from PPL with other surfing habbits, Windows settings ...
1.5alpha is AFAIK not compatible with all aspects of Your 1.1.2.

1.1.3 is an updated and corrected 1.1/1.1.2. It also has a newer Gecko Rendering Engine. It even has a newer engine than the 1.5a. So why change versions?smiling smiley

If You feel insecure You best create a backup of Your Profile ( You copy the profile to a save place - e.g. the whole folder to my data). You will find the used profile via Edit > Configuration > Profile Folder.
And also copy Your current K-Meleon folder also to a save place. That way You only have to copy both folders back to its old places and all works again like it does now.

Normally nothing goes wrong during setup so the backup is just in case.

To install any K-Meleon and the Loader (if You use it) must be shut down.

K-Meleon 1.1.3 is a complete browser with all the needed files (like 1.1).
For the actual setup You are offered to install into Your current K-Meleons folder
but You can choose another name and location. You could combine that other name with unselecting Multiple User Profiles. This gives You an install that is totally independent (especially of Your old Profiles and its user data) and it has its Profiles in its own K-Meleon folder / You need writing rights were You install it that way [ BTW: This is the way the old timers install their alphas smiling smiley ] .

You can also install 1.1.3 in the default location (Your Programs Files/K-Meleon) without deselecting the Multiple Profiles option. You probably installed 1.1 that way.

K-Meleon 1.1.3 is perfectly capable, compatible and save to use all Your old data from 1.1/1.1.2 in Your old profiles when You choose this setup.

Known problems: You have to reinstall some plugins and extensions..

The installer deletes two folders completely sad smiley
It is actually a bug in the extension installers which should not install in a folder that must be updated ;-)

If by chance You had deselected Mutiple User Profiles when You installed 1.1 just drop a file with the name of profile.ini into the install directory of Your K-Meleon. The presence of a file with that name will cause K-Meleon to use Profiles in its install folder.

If my explanation is not sufficient feel free to ask.
All here will try to help You.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 30, 2007 12:41AM

What I would like to know is if this update can be applied as the gecko updates or the last of bruns, I mean just copy components, getprefs and root folder dll files and executables.

I don't want to lose a week in make a custom intallation again.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 30, 2007 01:38AM

What I did was get the 7z version and have it unzip to my KM root directory. Nothing changed in my profile. I still had everything I had before.

Date: November 30, 2007 01:54AM

Well I also have some modifications to other files ^_^'

Well, anyway, I copied components folder and res (as bruns gecko update) and the files in the root of K-meleon and all worked but what I have seen is that the main Kmeleon.exe file hasn't changed its version so in the "about:" information it still shows

bla(bla;bla; rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071116 K-Meleon/1.1.2

1.1.2 version grinning smiley

Date: November 30, 2007 07:48AM

JohnHell
"about:" information it still shows
... rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071116 K-Meleon/1.1.2
1.1.2 version grinning smiley

Copy: ./defaults/pref/I10n.js (or the whole folder) from the new version to the old.
That updates K-Meleon/1.1.2 and also the Firefox User Agent string that is needed a update to fix that You can spoof that for Yahoo Beta Mail. smiling smiley

Copy all new skin toolbars.cfg (or the whole folders) to old browser.
That fixes that clear all macro button in Privacy Bar works again.

Newsfox is also updated - so copy chrome NewsFox.jar ...>
copy ./greprefs to 1.1.3 folder ...> (info souce Dorian) - I do not know why.

& voila.

p.s. other components are mostly like 1.1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 07:48AM by guenter.

Date: November 30, 2007 03:04PM

I'll do a trick with I10n.js because this is one of my modified files tongue sticking out smiley

I have personalized toolbars and privacy bars so... nothing to do there, toolbars are toolbars and I have my own (since I started using K-meleon with 0.82 version grinning smiley).

And I don't use NewsFox, I'm still using Aggreg8 that I prefer a lot over the new rss reader, so nothing to do here neither.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2007 03:12PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 30, 2007 03:30PM

You can change K-Meleon version in this file:
K-Meleon\defaults\pref\kmprefs.js

Changed the line:
pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "1.1.2");
to
pref("general.useragent.vendorSub", "1.1.3");

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 30, 2007 04:32PM

desgas2 is right - kmprefs.js has the Agent string - and I senior moments sad smiley

With the fie I ment I10n.js You change the privacy section You can probably go to
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.10) Gecko/20071115 Firefox/2.0.0.10 or higher instead of the values below.

// Privacy

pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.name", "Firefox 2.0.0.8");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent1.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071008 Firefox/2.0.0.8");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.name", "MSIE 7.0");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent2.string", "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.name", "Opera 9.23");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent3.string", "Opera/9.23 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en)");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.name", "SeaMonkey 1.1.4");
pref("kmeleon.privacy.useragent4.string", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070802 SeaMonkey/1.1.4");

Date: November 30, 2007 05:11PM

No, ok, all done, thank you guys winking smiley All working fine.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.