General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Thank you for K-Meleon!
Posted by: Thankful Joe
Date: September 26, 2007 06:47PM

Thank you for a great product. It runs faster and consumes fewer resources than FireFox, IE, and Mozilla. It's an excellent choice for slightly older systems (I have a couple friends still on Windows 98/ME and they find K-Meleon much snappier than the alternatives). Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you for K-Meleon!
Posted by: justmeagain
Date: September 29, 2007 07:07AM

Amen! KM is a great little browser, a wonderful find!
Keep up the good work, all ye developers!

:-)

Posted by: PVTele
Date: October 03, 2007 04:56PM

Amen from the UK too! K-Meleon is just beautiful - a joy to use, and all but invisible when you're concentrating on the online content, rather than n bells and whistles in the interface. Love it! Huge thanks to all involved in the development...

Re: Thank you for K-Meleon -- It's FAST!
Posted by: Thankful Joe
Date: October 03, 2007 05:16PM

I tried several browsers looking for the fastest, lightest one (IE 6 and 7, FireFox, Mozilla, Opera, and K-Meleon). I found that K-Meleon is consistently the fastest.

For fun I figured, why not time them? While my timings are not scientific, I ensured the system had the same load when I timed each browser. I targeted the exact same web pages with each, doing back-to-back retrievals from different browsers for comparison. I ensured that no browser was using its cache for retrieval (that it was fully loading and painting fresh pages).

Results -- On an old Pentium III machine w/ 512M ram and ATT/Yahoo DSL 768K line, IE 6 consistently took 7-10 seconds to load and render the targeted web pages in their entirety.

Firefox and Mozilla were faster but in the middle of the pack.

Opera was way faster than IE at 2-4 seconds for those same pages.

But K-Meleon beat even Opera, at 1-4 seconds. Some pages were the same speed as Opera -- but many were visibly faster! Never was K-Meleon slower than any alternative browser.

Kudos to the K-Meleon team for your achievements!

Posted by: foobarly
Date: October 04, 2007 01:27PM

Now go and tell the world, my son! *<8o)

Posted by: Arrow
Date: October 12, 2007 12:34AM

Thanks Hao, will test over the weekend

Posted by: Grandma P
Date: October 12, 2007 02:03AM

I have to chime in and agree. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to use that doesn't slow the whole system down when I have other applications open along with the browser. FF was the worst, and even with nothing else open I can go make tea while waiting for it to start up. IE, on the other hand, is still not all that great in a lot of ways and I just can't take to it. I've been using Opera lately but there are still too many things that don't work with it. I've downloaded K-Meleon before, but either it's changed or I have, because I like it much better now and it does seem much quicker than the others.

Re: Thank you for K-Meleon -- It's FAST!
Posted by: vidhun
Date: October 21, 2007 12:51PM

Man I love K-meleon... I only use K-meleon now.The day I got to know about k-meleon I fell in love with this amazingly fast browser,I don't really like all the bell and whisles which opera and firefox users crave for.. Serioulsy The day I have moved to k-meleon I never ever looked back to IE and Firefox I just dont miss them, I have every thing with K-meleon here and Its damn fast and the loader just saves me from all that loading wait time which I SERIOUSLY HATE WITH IE AND FIREFOX...

I thank the developers from the bottom of my heart.. keep up the amazing work!!

Thankful Joe
I tried several browsers looking for the fastest, lightest one (IE 6 and 7, FireFox, Mozilla, Opera, and K-Meleon). I found that K-Meleon is consistently the fastest.

For fun I figured, why not time them? While my timings are not scientific, I ensured the system had the same load when I timed each browser. I targeted the exact same web pages with each, doing back-to-back retrievals from different browsers for comparison. I ensured that no browser was using its cache for retrieval (that it was fully loading and painting fresh pages).

Results -- On an old Pentium III machine w/ 512M ram and ATT/Yahoo DSL 768K line, IE 6 consistently took 7-10 seconds to load and render the targeted web pages in their entirety.

Firefox and Mozilla were faster but in the middle of the pack.

Opera was way faster than IE at 2-4 seconds for those same pages.

But K-Meleon beat even Opera, at 1-4 seconds. Some pages were the same speed as Opera -- but many were visibly faster! Never was K-Meleon slower than any alternative browser.

Kudos to the K-Meleon team for your achievements!

Posted by: caktus
Date: October 22, 2007 04:11AM

Just curious. As a user, I cannot understand why other browsers are touted as "the best, fastest, etc." Why can't they be as fast as KM? Is it that they are all trying to be everthing to all users? Or is it that KM is simply a magical mystery? LOLsmiling smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: vidhun
Date: October 22, 2007 06:55PM

indeed the working and speed of K-meleon is either a magical mystery or a secret recipe HA HA... Man! When I told my friends who use dial up YES YES! Some ppl still use dial up here in India.. they were shocked with blazing rendering speed as they are surfing on dsl atleast this is what they were feeling...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 22, 2007 09:49PM

Caktus,

The Gecko engine, which is the heart of all the various Mozilla offshoot browsers, can be used in different ways. K-Meleon's major difference is its use of a macro scripting language to do many of the same things that FireFox and Seamonkey do with an emulation language called XUL which adds a layer to the operation of those browsers. That, in short, is why K-Meleon can be faster on some things than other Mozilla browsers.

N

Date: October 23, 2007 05:06AM

vidhun,

Actually, I too still use dialup. I have learned to be a very efficient user of dialup and IE. Especially with the help of a caching proxy. When I began using KM I fired the proxy as KM's page loading time beat the proxy hands-down with out a doubt.

KM is even faster than my neighbor's RR connection. Actually I think his RR connection boasts [up to] 768kbs. DSL and cable ISP's that boast [up to] transfer limits are posing one of the biggest frauds ever to be perpetrated on the Internet.

I have no need for fast downloading of files, so my discount Internet access and KM is all I need.

Charlie

ndebord, thank you for the info.
Date: October 23, 2007 05:09AM

ndebord, thank you for the info.

Charlie

Posted by: alonso
Date: October 23, 2007 10:02AM

caktus said "DSL and cable ISP's that boast [up to] transfer limits are posing one of the biggest frauds ever to be perpetrated on the Internet."

Why?

Date: October 23, 2007 10:15AM

cactus said: "KM is even faster than my neighbor's RR connection."

I use two main browsers, Firefox and Pocket Kmeleon. I know future Safari 3 (Konqueror based renderirng engine) and Opera 1.5 (Kestrel rendering engine) would be faster than these two main browser I use, but I don't care because I have adapted Firefox and Pocket KM to my needs. One for home and other for mobile issues. KM can't be faster than a connection hardware. KM probably is faster than the browser of your friend in that connection. Try to downlodad UBUNTU ISO DVD with any dialup hardware: DLS and cable win.
Thanks for your patience.

Date: October 23, 2007 06:11PM

It appears very few users realize that some ISP's do not provide enough band width for all of their [limited] subscribers, a decision based on the premise that not all subscribers will be online at once although many people now leave their systems connected so they can be notified when they have email, IM, new RSS feed, etc. i.e. probably the most publicized case has been Verizon DSL as many of it's subscribers may only realize the much touted 765kbs in the middle of the night when fewer subscribers are online. Though in the particular case of Verizon DSL the problem may have since changed, admittedly they only provided about 75% of necessary bandwidth to their [up to 768kbs] subscribers. Imagine paying for dinner at a restaurant only to be told you can only eat it in the middle of the night.

As for the particular case involving my neighbor. Part of his slow page load may be due to using the very bloated and somewhat unstable IE 7. While file i.e. applications, music download is comparably fast, page load takes about 30-60 seconds in nearly all cases. Because of this he usually stays up very late to do his Internet surfing. And during the day the kids take about as long to perform school related Internet research as they did previously with a discount ISP using IE 6. I will of course recommend KM to him as well as others. But as always with applications new to me I want to first experience greatly for myself that it is both safe and stable.

Charlie

Date: October 23, 2007 06:27PM

True. Hardware can be incredibly much faster than dialup. But no faster than the server from which data is being accessed. Add to that inefficient band width on the part of the server and like dialup, one can get only so much water from a fully open tap i.e.
Posted by: caktus (IP Logged)
Date: October 23, 2007 02:11PM

Charlie

Date: October 24, 2007 08:10AM

caktus
It appears very few users realize that some ISP's do not provide
caktus
True. Hardware can be incredibly much faster

The maximum speed avaliable in my country for customers is 25mg/1mg (download/upload), but my experience with fast speeds is very simple: Faster speed does not mean faster webpage loading times, only faster file downloads. I am really surprised with Pocket Kmeleon, and particulary with its rendering time. Really fast and absolutely amazing. I said in my last post that I know that Kestrel engine avaliable in Opera 9.5 would be more faster than KMeleon, but for my issues (mobile use) Pocket Kmeleon is really effective.
I will be probably happier if Kmeleon was updated often.
Thank you for your patience.
Alonso.

Posted by: justmeagain
Date: October 24, 2007 07:31PM

The slowness of some of the browsers may not be ENTIRELY the browser's fault, especially if your system is using some of the kludgier (is that a word?) Internet Security programs, such as Norton Internet Security.

Our friend use NIS and sits there grinding his teeth while his CPU is grinding, because Norton is unrelentingly mucking around in the background, "securing" things! Our older, more limited system can dance circles around his hot-off-the-shelf system, LOL! grinning smiley

Date: October 24, 2007 11:34PM

Alonso

I too have used Opera 9.5. Though it did seem to render images and text much faster than IE, it seemed too bloated with unnecessary features for my liking. But the real reason I stopped using it is because it took too much control of my machine. It would assume default status with out my permission and for some reason it would not let me use IE. Therefore I could not access some sites including Window Update.

FireFox also had a similar effect on my machine.

I have to assume that these problems may have been a reslut of my particular Windows, IE and Internet settings. And I was happy with my systems settings and IE6.

Since I found KM the only thing I use IE for now is Windows Update.

Charlie

Charlie

Date: October 24, 2007 11:47PM

justmeagain

I stopped using Norton products years ago. I think the last Norton I used was the 2002 suite. It wasn't so bad once I turned off the Norton System Doctor. NSD was really unnecessary.

I am much happier with free utilities such as AVG applications
It seems that indiviual stand alone applications are more stable and require much less system resources. It seems that when manufacturers try to be all things to all people they make a mess of things.

Charlie

Date: October 25, 2007 08:01AM

caktus
I too have used Opera 9.5. Though it
caktus
I stopped using Norton products years

You are completely right. Now I am writing this post with Pocket KMeleon, an absolutely amazing version of KMeleon standard, 100% adapted to my needs. I have discovered it weeks ago and It rocks. Norton slows down the computer, and it's buggy as hell. Many thanks for your patience.
Alonso.

Posted by: Earnest User
Date: October 27, 2007 04:13PM

Hell yeah thank you for Melon Meleon!

Firefox was getting so slow and buggy on my old 128mb ram IBM notebook I knew I had to find an alternative when each page took 4 minutes to load.

THANK YOU THANK YOU and NEVER GO DOWN THE BLOATED PATH!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.