Google Login Fail
Posted by: shadeclan
Date: August 20, 2011 08:55AM

When I try to login to my google account, I get this message:

Quote
Google
Failed to Connect

The connection was refused when attempting to contact www.google.com.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection.
  • Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
  • Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
  • Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

It's not that I enter my username and password and get this message. I get this message when I just hit the sign-in button. I've tried messing with the proxy settings, changing them between direct connect and detect settings but no luck. I've tried enabling cookies for Google and clearing the cookie cache but that doesn't help either. Their server isn't down because I can get in with Firefox. What am I doing wrong?sad smiley

Re: Google Login Fail
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 20, 2011 06:23PM

Which version of KM are you using? I just went to www.google.com and clicked on the "sign in" and got a Google page with a name and password area. I am using KM 1.6.0 beta2. 1.6 has a newer engine than 1.5.4 and that could account for the difference. I have not tried with 1.5.4. I do have cookies but no proxy.

Re: Google Login Fail
Posted by: shadeclan
Date: August 20, 2011 07:35PM

Quote
JamesD
Which version of KM are you using? I just went to www.google.com and clicked on the "sign in" and got a Google page with a name and password area. I am using KM 1.6.0 beta2. 1.6 has a newer engine than 1.5.4 and that could account for the difference. I have not tried with 1.5.4. I do have cookies but no proxy.

I'm using the last stable version, 1.5.4.

I found that it's not just google - it's all https sites. I must have some sort of setting screwed up thats preventing K-Meleon from accessing secure sites.

Edit: 20 Aug 8:42 am EDT - OK, here's the thing. Since it was a problem with https sites, I thought I'd hunt down where K-Meleon handles that sort of thing. I found it in: Preferences/Privacy & Security/Encryption/Encrypted Transmission.

I decided to play with the settings. I unchecked Enable Transport Layer Security (TLS) and was able to access Google Mail. I decided to see if I could duplicate the previous behavior but when I rechecked Enable Transport Layer Security (TLS) , I was still able to get into Google Mail or any https site.

I will try rebooting to see if the problem returns, else it can be assumed that security was disabled after installation and poking at it reenabled it.


Edit: 20 Aug 9:19 am EDT - I was able to reproduce the problem after the reboot. I am using WinXP with the latest updates on an Intel Pentium III, 1Ghz processor, 512 Mb RAM, COMODO firewall, Avira antivirus with WebGuard off and Toplang Internet Lock to keep the kids honest ;).



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2011 08:27PM by shadeclan.

Re: Google Login Fail
Posted by: shadeclan
Date: August 20, 2011 08:38PM

Found It! Internet Lock was blocking K-Meleon from accessing port 443. Added a new rule to Internet Lock and fixed the problem.

Thanks for you help - sorry about the PEBKAC error.

Re: Google Login Fail
Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 20, 2011 11:10PM

You got it working. That's what counts.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.