General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
how to store the original page URL into the output file when saving a page
Posted by: leopoldus
Date: July 17, 2011 05:28AM

AFAIK K-Meleon is one of the very few browsers, which can not store the original page URL when saving the current page into local file. Internet Explorer, Opera, Google Chrome, Maxthone and many others do it by default, Mozilla FireFox even has several add-ons to do this task in many different ways. Is there any option to save URL to the file under K-Meleon? May be via some extension?
Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 05:29AM by leopoldus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to store the original page URL into the output file when saving a page
Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 17, 2011 01:00PM

Where do the other browsers put the URL when they save the page local? I just tried my IE and I don't see the original URL.

Date: July 17, 2011 06:43PM

JamesD
Where do the other browsers put the URL when they save the page local? I just tried my IE and I don't see the original URL.

It depends of your browser. For instance Opera add the line <!-- saved from ...... --> with the original URL as the very last line of an output file, while Internet Explorer and Google Chrome put this line in the beginning of an output file (as a rule it is the second line). In FF it depends of the extension you use.

But you should regard, that, say, MSIE saves the URL only when the output format
"Webpage, complete" is chosen. May be it is the cause, why you have not got it in your file.

To avoid misunderstanding: in order to see the original page URL in an output file, you have to look the HTML source code of the file in any plain text viewer or editor, say Notepad, not as a HTML page in a browser. This does not apply to some extensions of FF, which save the original URL as a clickable link in the end of the output page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2011 06:49PM by leopoldus.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: July 18, 2011 11:33PM

I have something. I hope it helps. It does not seem to put anything in the source code and if the top of the page is black or dark color you might not see the text. The macro adds a new item under the file menu.

See the last post in this thread for the code. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,117802

Date: July 23, 2011 02:00PM

JamesD
I have something. I hope it helps. It does not seem to put anything in the source code and if the top of the page is black or dark color you might not see the text. The macro adds a new item under the file menu.
See the last post in this thread for the code. http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,117802

Thank you very much JamesD! Your code works fine!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.