General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to physically add Cookie into Cookie text
Posted by: carviddy
Date: July 08, 2011 12:13AM

I KNOW this must be a very unusual request, but I would like to ADD a cookie physically to the cookies.txt. I post on craiglist, and recently cleared my cookies in the browser. I lost a cookie entitled "cl_def_hp" that defines a specific city in the posting pull down menu on my main account page. Without it, I have to go through a longer "pulldown/select" procedure. I have repeatedly logged into my account, but the cookie I want does not add. I went to cookie permissions and added the craigslist login url. A couple of other cookies have added, but not the one I refer to. I found the cookie in my firefox browser, and found it in the cookies.txt. There is a different cookie information layout in the K-Meleon cookies.txt, otherwise I would transfer it. If you (one of forum readers) has any idea how to accomplish this, I will personally vote you into the Tech Savvy Hall of Fame (well, I'll have to start it). Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to physically add Cookie into Cookie text
Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 08, 2011 02:41AM

i don't think you can manually edit the cookies.txt file without changing its structure and probably corrupting it. since the cookie is intact in firefox.. try this.

first install this extension in kmeleon
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/extensions/cookman.7z

then install this extension in firefox
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/iol/addeditcookiesff.xpi

it's the same extension but with modified install.rdf so you can install it in ff 3.x and above without firefox complaining about incompatibility issues

restart both browsers after installing the extensions

in firefox click on the tools>cookie editor to open it
in kmeleon click on tools>privacy>cookies manager to open it

in the addnedit cookies dialogue in firefox, select the cookie cl_def_hp and click the edit button
this will open a second dialog with all the bits of info of the cookie.

in kmeleon in the addned cookies, click on the add button
this will open a second dialog to enter the custom cookie info.

enter the exact same values from firefox edit cookie to km add cookie (copy and paste) and click the save button. the new cookie will now be displayed in the main dialogue.. browse to craiglist and test

see this snapshot

hopefully it work, i tested on youtube where i wasn't loggedin in kmeleon and then logged in in firefox and after iadded the cookie i refreshed the page and youtube recognised it and showed me as signed in

Posted by: carviddy
Date: July 08, 2011 04:02AM

Disrupted ... It all worked GREAT! Thank you so much. You must orbit the planet in a different plane of knowledge. I can only imagine how much you know! You took the time to post screen shots and links. I am severely impressed. I can't even think of how I could ever help you, but I will be happy to in whatever capacity I can.
I hope I'm not embarrassing you. Thanks again.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 09, 2011 12:41PM

you are very welcome smiling smiley remember to make a copy of the kmeleon cookies.txt file with th craigglist cookie in case it disappears aagin

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.