No thank you thread?
Posted by: Carl
Date: May 24, 2011 11:45AM

Anyway...

My computer is about 10 years old at this point. The internet gets harder and harder to surf with all of the apps/flash that goes on. I do what things I can, ad-blocker etc, but these days it seems the browsers themselves are getting pretty bloated.

Did a search for alternative browsers and found this, and would just like to say thank you. So far, so good. Some sites look a little strange, but the ease at which I can change a host of options (privacy, new tabs,...) really makes this shine.

Thanks

Re: No thank you thread?
Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 24, 2011 11:57AM

Carl
Anyway...

My computer is about 10 years old at this point. The internet gets harder and harder to surf with all of the apps/flash that goes on. I do what things I can, ad-blocker etc, but these days it seems the browsers themselves are getting pretty bloated.

Did a search for alternative browsers and found this, and would just like to say thank you. So far, so good. Some sites look a little strange, but the ease at which I can change a host of options (privacy, new tabs,...) really makes this shine.

Thanks

Carl,

Are you using W98se? IF so, then KM 1.5.4? (Increasingly, because of Google mainly, sites are being set up for newer versions of KM's Gecko engine. As KM 1.5.4 uses Gecko 1.8, if you have XP or above, KM 1.6.0 beta 2 (Gecko 1.9.xx) is what people use.

For those who are using W98se, there are threads here about using KernelEx to update that Operating System and then you can use the newer KM.

Glad that KM is helping you. <g>

N

Posted by: Carl
Date: May 24, 2011 01:51PM

I am running XP, but apparently KM 1.5.4. I will approach 1.6, thanks for the info

Date: May 24, 2011 11:59PM

Carl
I am running XP, but apparently KM 1.5.4. I will approach 1.6, thanks for the info

Carl,

Plenty of threads here about XP and KM 1.6 beta 2. The consensus is that most things work well in the beta, but there are a few niggling issues. I have been using KM 1.6 b2 since it came out (XP PRO SP3) and have not had any problems. That said, I don't look hard for those problems as much as others. Just haven't had any problems in day to day use.

<g>

N

Kernelex
Posted by: MXB
Date: May 25, 2011 06:20PM

ndebord wrote
> For those who are using W98se, there are threads here about using KernelEx to update that Operating System and then you can use the newer KM.

I've looked at Kernelex twice now and it makes my hair stand on end. Not something to be installed lightly I think.

--
P2 400 MHz, 128 MB, Win 98 SE

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2011 06:23PM by MXB.

Re: Kernelex
Date: May 25, 2011 06:39PM

MXB
ndebord wrote
> For those who are using W98se, there are threads here about using KernelEx to update that Operating System and then you can use the newer KM.

I've looked at Kernelex twice now and it makes my hair stand on end. Not something to be installed lightly I think.

MXB,

BUT, if you were of a mind to use it, there are a few people here who have made the leap and survived and are quite savvy on the ins and outs of it.

N

Date: May 28, 2011 04:08PM

ndebord
MXB
ndebord wrote

MXB,

BUT, if you were of a mind to use it, there are a few people here who have made the leap and survived and are quite savvy on the ins and outs of it.

Thanks, I'll remember where to look in case I do attempt it. smiling smiley

--

Posted by: snuz2
Date: June 01, 2011 05:32AM

kernelX? nothing to it, small download, works great.

only suggestion: only enable for programs that need it, subtle side effects occur when programs that can already run on 98 think they are on XP.

post any questions here, we will try to help

i highly recommend the version KM 1.6 S 2014 over the beta version. I have found it faster and more stable too.

Date: June 01, 2011 07:03PM

snuz2
kernelX? nothing to it, small download, works great.

only suggestion: only enable for programs that need it, subtle side effects occur when programs that can already run on 98 think they are on XP.

post any questions here, we will try to help

i highly recommend the version KM 1.6 S 2014 over the beta version. I have found it faster and more stable too.

Thanks, I did some searching and found some links explaining kernelx better than the sourceforge page which well, umm tells you nothing at all smiling smiley.

Ironically . . . the info was right back here on this forum . . . eye rolling smiley

It does sound like it's simple enough and I'm glad to hear that it can be configured for "on demand" only because I knew that it'd be nuts to have it running all the time! 8-}

I can only think of a few programs that would need it: Opera 11, the K-M beta (I take it this beta's safe for low risk tolerance folks like me?) and Flash 10 (11?). Most of my software runs on DOS (I'm a strategy game nut), a couple Windows 4 have accumulated over the years and well now these few Windows 5 proggies.

--

Date: June 04, 2011 11:39PM

it doesn't really "run" as in taking up processor time or anything like that, it just redirects some functions that are present in NT to their W98 equivalents or fabricates data for them so they won't fail. an example, the program wants to know what the prefs for this particular NT user are, well there's really only one user in W98 and it's never an NT user, so it just sends that info. or the program wants certain information in a unicode string, so it just reformats the same info from W98's 8bit string into 16 bits. it's not perfect, you will see occasional problems, but they are very minor.

as I said previously, Freds 1.6 versions either the S from seamonkey or the FF from firefox are superior in compatibility with kernelX as well as being faster and safer.

the biggest obstacle to running 1.6 is making sure you have the msvc80 runtime files, some distributions come with them, others you have to download separately.

I configure KernelX to run 1.6 as XP SP2 in the properties dialog of the kmeleon.exe file. YOu can also run FF 4.0 under kernelX with no problems. it's very fast. also the latest Flash or at least 10.2 which is very recent works well under kernelX. your ancient video hardware will not do it justice though I'm afraid.

Re: KernelEx (KernelX)
Posted by: siria
Date: June 05, 2011 07:18AM

Very interesting post! smiling smiley
Want it to be found easily, and just noticed the name has that X-typo again, but on the other hand, about 40% of google hits are for that spelling too! Guess I'll use both variants in my posts in the future ;-)

PS: Just noticed Xeno has released a new version (451), already a month ago:
http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130936-kernelex-451/

Date: June 06, 2011 01:06AM

> I configure KernelX to run 1.6 as XP SP2 in the properties dialog of the kmeleon.exe file. YOu can also run FF 4.0 under kernelX with no problems. it's very fast. also the latest Flash or at least 10.2 which is very recent works well under kernelX. your ancient video hardware will not do it justice though I'm afraid.

Yes it had occurred to me that even if the software might run it may not be usable on 12 year old equipment. Flash 9 already bogs it down badly, I think 10 could be worse!

Kernelex may be more suitable for users of new computers who just like Windows 4. I must say it's the only version that I tolerate (which is an improvement from rabid hatred of all Windows!).

--

Date: June 07, 2011 08:29AM

well, all i have is 800Mhz 256MB RAM and W98SE, flash10 is bigger, but faster than flash 9 in my experience. but the real problem is the vintage of the video card. even mine is a complete joke compared to newer ones, but a surplus premium video card is easy to find and fixes that problem...

Date: June 07, 2011 08:37AM

@siria

sorry, i am very sloppy about such things and a laaazzzyyy typist. i meant the X to be pronounced eks as a shorthand saving a whole keystroke in the process.

on the other hand it goes good with activeX and directX, now we have kernelX, like a variable kernel ( which is what it is ).

@MXB:
another must for a W98 computer is Maximus Decims' native USB modification which gets rid of the need to install moronic files just to use Flash drives, and since so many devices like digital cameras and MP3 players, look just like a flash drive, they all work out of the box as well. Just make sure you really delete all the old driver software /before/ installing NUSB.

Date: June 07, 2011 08:01PM

snuz2
well, all i have is 800Mhz 256MB RAM and W98SE, flash10 is bigger, but faster than flash 9 in my experience. but the real problem is the vintage of the video card. even mine is a complete joke compared to newer ones, but a surplus premium video card is easy to find and fixes that problem...

Ah it's the hardware accel I read about right? Well that's no big deal smiling smiley With an old computer I might be happy to be able to access the flash 10 only files.

--

Date: June 07, 2011 08:07PM

snuz2
@MXB:
another must for a W98 computer is Maximus Decims' native USB modification which gets rid of the need to install moronic files just to use Flash drives, and since so many devices like digital cameras and MP3 players, look just like a flash drive, they all work out of the box as well. Just make sure you really delete all the old driver software /before/ installing NUSB.

Actually unless my sister come by again and tries to use her little USB thingy it doesn't have anything to do with me. ;-) The only USB thing I have is a scanner!

In case your curious: I don't have a cell phone, any handheld thingies, still use a VCR, record player, etc. I'm happily stuck in the early 90's (partly the 80's and I've managed to cling to some 70's things - I have a working 8 Track!) :-)

--

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.