General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
do you know if exists? (standalone search engine manager)
Posted by: Chame
Date: April 23, 2011 04:56PM

every browser use its own search engine manager, firefox use a folder with many xml files, kmeleon use a single file, etc etc, so, if someone, (me for example) use many search engine, and want to change browser, there is the problem of how to import-export them.
a nice workaround would be a standalone app that consist of a searchbar and a menu for select and add search engines.
the app then open the search result in the browser you have chosen to use.
exist that application?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do you know if exists? (standalone search engine manager)
Posted by: siria
Date: April 23, 2011 07:27PM

Hmm, have you took a look in Firefox about:config, if your search engines list shows up there? And/or in the file "prefs.js" in your FF profile folder?

Posted by: Chame
Date: April 23, 2011 09:32PM

siria
Hmm, have you took a look in Firefox about:config, if your search engines list shows up there? And/or in the file "prefs.js" in your FF profile folder?

hmmm search engines files for ff are in profile\searchplugins

i tried to import ff2 searchengines in kmeleon with an app that search and replace text but isn't so easy because works only for some search engines.
I can post the procedure if could be useful.
It's probably possible with a complex script but i'm not skilled enough.
So i'm asking for a search engine manager...not a manager for kmeleon, an universal search bar floating around, that open the results in the default browser, if in kmeleon i set "url passed from an external application" to open a new tab, i could use the external app instead of the standard search of the browser.

do you understand my poor english?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 09:43PM by Chame.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 23, 2011 10:26PM

Chame
siria

hmmm search engines files for ff are in profile\searchplugins

i tried to import ff2 searchengines in kmeleon with an app that search and replace text but isn't so easy because works only for some search engines.
I can post the procedure if could be useful.
It's probably possible with a complex script but i'm not skilled enough.
So i'm asking for a search engine manager...not a manager for kmeleon, an universal search bar floating around, that open the results in the default browser, if in kmeleon i set "url passed from an external application" to open a new tab, i could use the external app instead of the standard search of the browser.

do you understand my poor english?

Well it's far more than just a universal web search utility, but if you're familiar with using Quicksearch/keywords for searches and you can get used to using tab instead of the space bar, then you might like Launchy which comes with the weby plugin that allows you to add as many search engines as you desire. I think it automatically imports your ff keyword searches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2011 10:32PM by jsnj.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.