General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Webkit engine in Kmeleon?
Posted by: margarita
Date: April 15, 2011 04:04PM

I have read some posts about the issues to adapt Kmeleon to new Gecko 2, and the hard effort of the developers in this valuable task. Anyway, have you consider to start anytime a development path to migrate to Webkit in the future? IMHO Webkit is better than Gecko to render all pages with no further problems in any system with high quality. o.O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Webkit engine in Kmeleon?
Posted by: km2
Date: April 15, 2011 06:21PM

For webkit need Java?

Date: April 15, 2011 11:33PM

km2
For webkit need Java?

Google Chrome uses Webkit layout render and it requires Java 6 Update 12 or greater to run properly. o.O

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 17, 2011 02:56AM

though the webkit engine requires minimum of Win2000/XP on the Windows side, margarita. other webkit-based browsers work with at least WinXP or greater.
QTWeb is the only webkit-based browser that seems to run with at least Win2k.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 17, 2011 10:33AM

The problem is IMHO that MS the OS vendor & usual SDK provider does not make SDKs that support Windows 7 and WindowsME/Windows 2000 at the same time.

QT AFAIK uses its own SDK.

If K-Meleon goes to webkit all development that is based on XUL/Chome will be lost.
K-Meleon would be back to the look/state of 0.9.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: April 17, 2011 10:55AM

a new engine on km can never be easy, i suppose.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 17, 2011 01:08PM

guenter
The problem is IMHO that MS the OS vendor & usual SDK provider does not make SDKs that support Windows 7 and WindowsME/Windows 2000 at the same time.

QT AFAIK uses its own SDK.

If K-Meleon goes to webkit all development that is based on XUL/Chome will be lost.

guenter,

What about KKO's script language and LUA?

N

Date: April 17, 2011 05:00PM

chinarobin
a new engine on km can never be easy, i suppose.

I only suggested to open a development path for the middle or long term, in order to guarantee the future of Kmeleon. In fact, "Epiphany browser supported both Gecko and WebKit for some time, but the team decided that Gecko's release cycle and future development plans would make it cumbersome to continue supporting it." -- extracted from Wikipedia. o.O

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 17, 2011 06:55PM

ndebord

Both Script Languages will work. AFAIK.

But e.g. the Preferences Panel, the JavaScript Console, the RSS Reader and many extensions are from XUL and will not work in case the html rendering engine is changed.

It will be for some time like K-Meleon 0.8 again with LUA options interfaces as possible fall back.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 17, 2011 09:04PM

Does the webkit engine have preferences read from a prefs file?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 09:04PM by JamesD.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 17, 2011 10:53PM

guenter
ndebord

Both Script Languages will work. AFAIK.

But e.g. the Preferences Panel, the JavaScript Console, the RSS Reader and many extensions are from XUL and will not work in case the html rendering engine is changed.

It will be for some time like K-Meleon 0.8 again with LUA options interfaces as possible fall back.

Guenter,

I would suspect that if we were to go to WebKit (down the road, after KM 1.6, 1.7 and probably 1.8), that there would be working RSS, JavaScript stuff out there. Don't know about what to substitute for Preferences Panel, but qtweb has preferences that looks promising.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2011 10:57PM by ndebord.

Posted by: gordon451
Date: April 18, 2011 05:03AM

G'day all - especially margarita -

Keeping this thread (K-Meleon Development:Mozilla kills embedding support for Gecko) in mind, QtWeb has one major point in its favour, and commits two heinous crimes:

• It is the only WebKit browser that works on W2K. Forget about Iron, which won't.
  • It is as slow as a wet week, and
  • It does not support Java.

Yes, it is configurable, but nowhere near as good as KM. And KM is... FAST!

guenter

Why waste all the good work done so far?

Gordon.

Date: April 18, 2011 01:56PM

gordon451
Keeping this thread (K-Meleon Development:Mozilla kills embedding support for Gecko) in mind, QtWeb has one major point in its favour, and commits two heinous crimes:
  • It is the only WebKit browser that works on W2K. Forget about Iron, which won't.
guenter
Gordon.

Nice day to all, specially for Gordon too. I have no doubt that Kmeleon is the best choice for any Microsoft Windows version in any computer you choose. Not Gecko, Kmeleon. Perhaps a little explanation is needed here: Kmeleon means a very different browser than Firefox even though both are based on Gecko rendering engine. Firefox is the perfect example of how not to do the things in software development. In fact, Firefox 4 is the best gift for Kmeleon in order to maintain its valuable potential, because FF4 is a completely waste of human effort. Not 12 betas and two RC needed, please.

My first fear is that Google will make Apple Webkit as a rendering engine standard due to its powerful media and the money spent in Mozilla Foundation. My second fear is a possible hybrid browser Google-Firefox, as Lunascape has done with its triple rendering engine based on Gecko-Webkit-Trident. Today the money talks, you know. I hope Kmeleon will never give up in this hard fight, and I think Kmeleon is Kmeleon due to the terrific amount of time spent by the developers, and also its solitude from bad influences and money pressure. o.O

Posted by: gordon451
Date: April 19, 2011 07:16AM

Hi margarita -

margarita
My first fear is that Google will make Apple Webkit as a rendering engine standard due to its powerful media and the money spent in Mozilla Foundation.

Just like the Trident engine, and the Gecko engine? smiling smiley I'm close to being a "Senior Citizen", so I remember very well the "Browser War" between Netscape and Microsoft. That actually led to improvements for the 'net community: for example, the resurgence of MS IE in v4.x as opposed to Netscape v4 which was a complete disaster. IE4.x showed how even the mighty Microsoft could listen and (more importantly) actually respond to user input and thus produce a vast improvement on IE3.

I see the current tussle as a more sophisticated extension of BW1. IN BW2, we get the benefits of four (Trident, Webkit, Gecko and Presto) really well-found engines all competing for our favours. I also see the multi-engine browser shell increasing in popularity.

I don't mention it in my sig, but I use Sleipnir 2.9.6 as a very useful wrapper for IE6 SP1, mostly because it offers true tabbed browsing with only a single instance of IE -- which MS seems to have only recently achieved. Memory usage with Sleipnir is extremely reasonable (I have only 512MB RAM). Sleipnir also offers the use of a Gecko engine, but this has been suspended due to perceived "vulnerabilities".

So I look forward to continued development of KM/Gecko, whether as a single-engined or multi-engined browser of first resort. (IE is my browser of last resort grinning smiley )

Gordon.

Posted by: bud
Date: May 14, 2011 09:39PM

gordon451

guenter

Gordon.

K-Meleon is faster on my laptop wnen using a proxy, such as JAP or Tor, but QTWeb is faster when no proxy is used. Don't know why the difference.

Date: May 15, 2011 12:17PM

bud
gordon451
guenter
Gordon.
K-Meleon is faster on my laptop wnen using a proxy, such as JAP or Tor, but QTWeb is faster when no proxy is used. Don't know why the difference.

I am not sure about it at 100%, but I knew in my country a proxy that speed up webpage loading near a 50% faster than direct conecction, using server's cache and delaying webpage updating. It's a possible explanation in your case. o.O

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.