General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Lost all my bookmarks (1.5.4)
Posted by: Capn Jimbo
Date: March 05, 2011 07:23PM

I have no idea what happened, have used 1.5.4 successfully for quite some time. Shut down Kmeleon, restarted it and all my bookmarks are gone. Facts:

1. Bookmark menu is still there, and when opened still have "Add Page", "Edit" and
"Options" submenus. All work. But all my existing bookmarks (including the original Kmeleon bookbarks are gone.

2. My "Favorites" menu, and all my imported favorites are all still there.

My questions:

3. Can I get my bookmarks back somehow?

4. Should I reinstall 1.5.4 or simply start over adding bookmarks?

Thanks..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lost all my bookmarks (1.5.4)
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 05, 2011 08:33PM

K-Meleon does not eat the bookmarks.html normally & keeps a backup anyway.
Anything else like settings or passwords lost?
That often disappears with the bookmarks. if so go to 2.) right away. smiling smiley

1.) Assumes that the bookmarks.html file is damaged and You check whether the backup contains most of what is lost.

Go: Edit -> Configuration -> Profile directory. Open bookmarks_backup.html with the browser (K-Meleon) and see whether the file contains most of You lost bookmarks. If Yes this means the old bookmarks.html got corrupted rename bookmarks_backup.html to bookmarks.html and that is it. If You did not find good bookmarks here move to 2.).

2.) Assumes a scandisk run or some other event broke the profiles.ini. After that K-Meleon starts a new Profile but does not delete the old profile like some other browsers do. All You do is try to find the old profile & the bookmarks.html is still there.

Move up on level in explorer view now. You probably see more than one profile folder. Go inside of each and open all bookmarks.html & bookmarks_backup.html with K-Meleon. They look white in this view. One of the files is Your candidate.

Once You have found the right bookmarks.html file You would normally copy all files in the same profiles folder to the profiles folder where You started the inspection. That is the one used now. And that is the easiest fix.

Else You can edit the profiles.ini so that it points to the right profiles folder.

p.s. The first K-Meleon I installed was version 0.6. In all those years I only lost a handful of bookmarks files to a long forgotten bug.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2011 08:42PM by guenter.

Posted by: Capn Jimbo
Date: March 05, 2011 10:15PM

Guenter, thanks very much. Option (1) worked for me, but let me share what happened.

1. I went into Edit - Configure - Profile Directory and found both bookmarks.html and bookmarks_backup.html. Bookmarks.html was empty, but bookmarks_backup.html had all my missing bookmarks.

2. I then copied bookmarks_backup.html out to my desktop, opened it, and saved it back to desktop, but named as bookmarks.html. I then copied this complete file over the empty bookmarks.html in the profile directory.

This did not work.

3. I then read your instructions more carefully, went back into the Profiles Directory, deleted the empty bookmarks.html, then renamed the bookmarks_backup.html to bookmarks.html.

This worked. Thanks again for your very prompt reply and for taking the time to help me out.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 06, 2011 02:43PM

Thx for the feedback. Glad to hear that it worked out in the end. 2.) is the more common scenario. BTW. Coying to the desktop should have worked normally - like any other folder should do. No idea what went wrong.

Greetings from Hanover/Germany

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.