General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Web Site Log-In Problem
Posted by: duffy98
Date: March 03, 2011 06:26PM

This web site gives me a real problem with trying to log in ... They will drive you crazy with "checking" out your OS and Browser. I really don't need this site for anything except lottery information but the information on "warnings" is really something. They must have all the latest software programs to check a person's computer in 2011. I am using both KM v1.5.4 and KM v1.6 Beta 2 and I'm getting more trouble with the newer KM 1.6 browser. If you go to the site click on "Login" ... they will read your machine and give you a reading on Passed ... Warnings ... Failed and Info: For instance, using KM v1.6 Beta 2, I get this "Failed" message for Browser type:

Netscape 5 is not supported. The Netscape browser has been discontinued by the manufacturer, and we strongly recommend changing to a different brand. Lottery Post currently has four supported browsers: Internet Explorer (IE) (Windows only), Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

When I use KM v1.5.4, I don't get a Browser failed warning ... I'm just surprised to be getting a Failed warning with the newer KM browser and not the older 1.5.4 version.

Test Summary

Passed: 6

Warning: 4

Failed: 1

Info: 2

You received 1 Fail result, which you must fix before you are able to login to Lottery Post.

We also recommend attempting to fix the problems identified by the 4 Warning results, although fixing Warnings is not required in order to use Lottery Post. They point out things that are keeping you from having the best possible experience at Lottery Post.

Please review the 2 Info messages below for additional helpful information about your browser.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The web site if others would like to test their machines out and see what "Warnings" you get ... click on the Login (upper left) ... you really don't have to log in ... they check your machine before the actual login. You will see the results below the log in area.

http://www.lotterypost.com/

... any comments appreciated about the KM v1.6 "Fail" message.

thanks ...

.... I will add this one warning: AJAX Support

Your browser does not support AJAX technology, so you will not be able to use several interactive portions of Lottery Post, such as Favorites, Profiles, some lottery systems, and more. We strongly recommend upgrading to a modern, mainstream web browser.
----------------------------------------------------------

I have never heard of AJAX technology ... is this important with other web sites? I actually don't get that warning when I use KM 1.5.4.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 06:57PM by duffy98.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web Site Log-In Problem
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 03, 2011 07:51PM

I think you should post a capture image with the warnings as I'm not able to replicate it. All is working with 1.1.6 and 1.6b2 with several different user agents :-?

The AJAX warning is about Javascript disabled or xml parsing, but, by default, all is enabled in 1.6 and, in the other hand, you need javascript to let the web check your system, so, you haven't it disabled.

Very weird :-?

Answering your doubts, AJAX is used in several sites: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Google, Yahoo, well, almost any popular site nowadays use AJAX calls.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 03, 2011 08:21PM

Reading your description, that sounds a lot more like a trojan site, than a lottery site... A harmless site would never insist to sneak out the depths of your machine to such a degree.
That said, it sounds like you forgot about faking user agents...?

Date: March 03, 2011 09:30PM

siria
A harmless site would never insist to sneak out the depths of your machine to such a degree.

It doesn't go that far, just checks your browser and its capabilities winking smiley but in a flashy way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 09:30PM by JohnHell.

Date: March 04, 2011 01:47PM

Sorry ... couldn't get back on the internet till now ...

siria ... I am using Proxomitron and the latest sidki filter set ... he updated his last filter set to "fool" web sites into thinking a person has Windows 7 installed with IE 8 I think. Anyway when I disable Proxomitron with KM v1.5.4, I get only one warning ... that I am using Windows 98 ...

"Your operating system Win98 is not supported. Microsoft has stopped supporting it, and over time fewer and fewer pages and functions at Lottery Post will function properly unless you upgrade to a modern operating system, such as Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP."

... but when I have Proxomitron working I fool the site into thinking I have Windows 7 installed ...

Operating System ...Pass...Your operating system Windows 7 is supported.

Browser window...Pass...Your browser window's usable width is 1020, which is ideal.

.... so I rarely ever change the KM User Agents. The Proxomitron is a great little program for Windows 98 users with the sidki filter set from 23 Oct 2010. Also works with XP but not sure about Vista and W7 ... the Proxomitron forum site probably has info on that.

... John Hell ... thanks for your input also ... I am going to post this and switch browsers ... from KM 1.5.4 to KM 1.6 Beta 2 and check the readings at the site with Proxomitron enabled and disabled.

------------------

OK, now I'm working with KM 1.6 Beta 2 ... with Proxomitron working, the web site still thinks I have Windows 7 installed but the Browser reading is a "Fail" ... I get this message:

Browser type...Fail...Netscape 5 is not supported. The Netscape browser has been discontinued by the manufacturer, and we strongly recommend changing to a different brand. Lottery Post currently has four supported browsers: Internet Explorer (IE) (Windows only), Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

plus I get these two warnings ...

AJAX Support...Warn...Your browser does not support AJAX technology, so you will not be able to use several interactive portions of Lottery Post, such as Favorites, Profiles, some lottery systems, and more. We strongly recommend upgrading to a modern, mainstream web browser.

SSL enabled...Warn...We were unable to detect SSL support. This could mean that your browser is not capable of using our modern EV SSL certificate, or else you have a firewall or proxy server is blocking access to port 443, which is the channel through while Secure Socket Layers (SSL) communicates. If you see a certificate warning message from your browser, select the Continue option, despite the dire warning shown. Also, please refer to your firewall's help documentation for enabling access to port 443, if it is not a certificate error.

I am going to to now "disable" Proxomitron and see what warnings I get.

Very interesting ... with Proxomitron off, I get no warnings (nothing) from the web site using KM v1.6 B2. Very strange that it is not able to detect that I am using Windows 98SE ... it's a very happy web site. I am going to try one more thing ... I want to change the User Agent from Default to Windows 7 with IE 8. I added that setting to my User Agent list ... I will be back since I have to close the browser out for the change.

..... interesting, since I was logged off, Todd the owner of Lottery Post posted a message. It's a very good site for any kind of lottery news ... been reading there for many years.

... anyway, I have changed the KM 1.6 User Agent to Windows 7 - IE8 and with Proxomitron off, I get 2 warnings ...

Browser type...Warn...You are using IE 7, which is supported, but there is a more recent version of Internet Explorer available that is more secure and will make your browser experience even better. To best way to perform the free upgrade is to run Microsoft's automated Windows Update process. (That is something you should be doing periodically anyway.) If you have not run it for a long time (or never) it may take several minutes to complete, but it is extremely simple to use. Or, if you encounter a problem with running Windows Update on your computer, you can go directly to the IE upgrade page.

Flash plug-in...Warn...You do not have the Flash plugin. Without the Flash plugin you will be unable to see certain content at Lottery Post. However, please note that Flash is not required in order to use Lottery Post. Click here to get Flash.

I do have Flash 9.0.289.0 installed which I just checked at a Flash test site.

Oh well, now I will enable Proxomitron to see what warnings pop up.

I get 5 warnings ... the same browser and flash warnings plus a SSL enabled, Broadband and Images Enabled.

I guess for this site (and maybe other sites sometimes) I should disable Proxomitron ... might solve the problem or some of them.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 03:08PM by duffy98.

Posted by: Speednet
Date: March 04, 2011 01:55PM

Hey guys, I am the owner of Lottery Post, and stumbled on this forum post.

Lottery Post is the largest lottery-related site worldwide, so there is nothing "scammy" or unusual going on. In fact, Lottery Post is well-regarded as not dipping into all the lottery underbelly out there, and is as spam-free as any site you'll find.

I installed the current K-Meleon browser (1.5.4) and it receives all passing marks from each of the 11 tests that are run in our test.

The test (which is called the Browser Compatibility Test, and can be separately run from our Resources menu) is designed to warn the user if they are using a particularly OLD browser.

The reason for the test? Because generally speaking, lottery players are not gear-heads who are running the latest OS or browser. It is not uncommon for me to get questions from Win 98 users with IE 5.5. If I continued to support old browsers and OSes like that, I would never be able to build a modern site with great interactive features.

The test does not "sneak out the depths of your machine" -- it does some basic tests to see if your setup supports:

- Cookies
- JavaScript
- Your browser type and version number
- Your OS type and version number
- Your browser window size (BION, still some 800x600 screens in use out there)
- AJAX
- SSL
- GZIP Compression
- Flash
- Very basic network speed test (still some dial-up users out there)
- Images enabled

...and that's it.

Calling this a trojan is a bit silly. The test is there to educate people who have very old computers, to help get them upgraded.

I have also built in lots of other upgrade help. For example, if a person visits the site with an IE6 or IE7 browser, they will receive a drop-in message that warns them and clearly explains why it is so important to upgrade. It even demonstrates a huge security hole in IE6. If you're interested, you can see the page here (which also provides instructions for Win 98/ME users to use Opera or Firefox): http://www.lotterypost.com/upgradebrowser.asp

Hopefully this will help you guys out. I hope you get a chance to visit if you're looking for lottery information.

-Todd

Date: March 04, 2011 02:32PM

Hi Todd ... I am the one who started the thread. I do like your site and have never thought anything "sinister" was going on at your site. It's a good site for sure, just a little tougher than most sites I have been at to join and log in. As a Windows 98SE user still, I run into an occasional other site that flashes an OS or Browser warning. I realize this is a problem still using Windows 98SE in 2011. Your site seems to "provide" more information than any other site I have been to ... with the "warning checks". I have IE6 installed but never use it anymore, only KM 1.5.4 and KM 1.6 Beta 2. I have been frustrated that I am having a problem logging in at Lottery Post, I did send you an e-mail on that but got no reply, so I posted here to see what, if any, problems or warnings others might be getting ... I am going to try K-Meleon V1.5.4 after I post some further information here. ... you have a great site for lottery information, even if I can't log in, I will work on that some more later today. I was able to get KM 1.6 Beta 2 to show "no warnings" today, but I didn't try a log in. ... thanks

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 02:38PM by duffy98.

Date: March 04, 2011 03:30PM

Thanks for the props. You do know that by using Win 98 you're opening yourself up to big security holes, right? Microsoft doesn't even provide patches anymore.

If you get a warning at LP it won't prevent you from logging in. Only a "Critical" error would prevent it. Warnings have a yellow caution symbol, and errors have a red "X". Only something that would surely cause the site to fail would give a red "X", so they are rare.

I understand that it seems difficult to log in, but I assure you that 99% of our visitors do not encounter any such difficulty. You're in an small group of people who are still running Win 98. But even a Win 98 owner can make a few adjustments and get on (as you did).

Good luck!

Date: March 04, 2011 05:57PM

Well, I had 50-50 success ... I was able to log in but not post any messages. I guess I will have to be content to just be a visitor at the site. One day I may have XP on one of my computers and things may be different. Just really posted this for others to check out their computers and see "where they stand" on various settings and warnings. As I said before, this is the only site I have encountered where so much information is given on settings, browsers and the OS. ... unless you actually go to a "test site" for information. It's interesting at the very least.

Date: March 04, 2011 07:03PM

Just a question, speednet, regardless of the capabilities gathered in the test and what the warnings say... do you limit the web experience upon this? I mean, someone could fake the identification or disable javascript and then enable, etc, faking the test results and, depending on what you do, could harm users experience.

Date: March 04, 2011 07:10PM

JohnHell
Just a question, speednet, regardless of the capabilities gathered in the test and what the warnings say... do you limit the web experience upon this? I mean, someone could fake the identification or disable javascript and then enable, etc, faking the test results and, depending on what you do, could harm users experience.

No, nothing is limited, but if the browser/platform is not capable, then some things won't work.

For example, the site uses jQuery extensively, so any version of IE less than 6 won't work. That's a jQuery limitation.

I actually constructed some dummy objects that fakes a jQuery header, so that I could get IE 5.5 to work in a crippled way, but it still doesn't have full functionality.

@duffy98: If you go to the board settings, you will find that you can disable the Rich Text Editor, allowing even antiquated systems to post.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.