General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Save Session unique to K-M
Posted by: xps
Date: February 20, 2011 09:02PM

Is this feature unique to this browser? What scenarios would you use it for? Suppose you are opening a lot of links but probably won't bookmark them you can save a snapshot of the open windows and tabs and then come back whenever you need to?

Any others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Save Session unique to K-M
Posted by: caktus
Date: February 22, 2011 02:52PM

xps
Is this feature unique to this browser? What scenarios would you use it for? Suppose you are opening a lot of links but probably won't bookmark them you can save a snapshot of the open windows and tabs and then come back whenever you need to?

Any others?

Hi, xps.

Save Session seems to cache a new session for only a short while, not a big help. Saving a session makes it easy to re-open latest version of pages for what ever you may desire, for studies, news reading, what ever you need to access quickly.

When I want to save pages for viewing at a future time I use "File all tabs" in the File menu. File all tabs actually saves cached pages for later viewing off line which Save Session does not do. I find "File all tabs" very handy for viewing pages of news articles when I am not connected to the Internet, this saves a lot of bandwidth usage and Internet connection time. It also lets me avoid having to repetitively "Save Page As". I just go to File > Save All Tabs, choose the location, click on the Save button then hold down the Enter key while all the pages are saved. In addition, just like saved sessions, when I open a saved page while I am connected to the Internet the page the saved page automatically updates.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 22, 2011 03:28PM

xps
1.) Is this feature unique to this browser?

2.) What scenarios would you use it for? Suppose you are opening a lot of links but probably won't bookmark them you can save a snapshot of the open windows and tabs and then come back whenever you need to?

1.) No idea. Maybe ask in the Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera or Maxton user forums.
I only know for sure that some browsers offer to open the last session with the opened pages.

2.) I use it to store the pages I open at startup (my homepage, startpage is a session consisting of several pages, my webmail page @yahoo, that lets me see close friends that are online for a little chat, a page with daily news, stock quotes, ...). Plus I store chores that require repeatedly opening the same couple pages (and only these pages, because a session closes other pages) under a nick e.g. banking.

If I need a group of pages additionally on a regular basis I store them into a bookmarks folder with a nick. That nick typed into URL can open these pages additionally.

I sometimes open the last session when I have not finished reading all info on the openend pages. Session is also used when the browser crashed and tries to get You close to where You were interrupted.

Sessions are stored in the used pref.js inside the used profile. The file has a finite size and is no data bank. I do not store several huge random snapshots but things that I need often.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 03:32PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 22, 2011 06:32PM

xps
What scenarios would you use it for? Suppose you are opening a lot of links but probably won't bookmark them you can save a snapshot of the open windows and tabs and then come back whenever you need to?

Yep, that's exactly how I use it, and I do that a LOT :cool: Just to reduce confusion, that doesn't store the page *contents*, only a list of the currently open URLs. Important to know, if you re-open a stored session, it first *closes* all current windows and then restores the exact same state of windows and tabs as they were stored in that session.
For many uses bookmark folders with nick-names may be better, since those open *additionally* to the current windows/tabs.

Posted by: xps
Date: February 22, 2011 08:59PM

cactus,

where's Save all Tabs in File menu? I'm using, ahem, K-M 1.5.2.

Date: February 23, 2011 03:00PM

xps
cactus,

where's Save all Tabs in File menu? I'm using, ahem, K-M 1.5.2.

Sorry, xps. File All Tabs is created by a macro that is available at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmFileAllTabs

A complete list of available macros can be found at http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/MacroLibrary

Charlie

Posted by: siria
Date: February 23, 2011 06:17PM

Or lets say, on that wiki list are about 10% of the macros. More can be found on kmext, geckozone or the forum here smiling smiley

Date: February 24, 2011 06:26PM

siria
Or lets say, on that wiki list are about 10% of the macros. More can be found on kmext, geckozone or the forum here smiling smiley

Thank you siria.

Charlie

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.