General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Problems with downloading .exe files
Posted by: zzrich
Date: February 04, 2011 07:25PM

Hi, im running one of my comps on win 98se. I downloaded the latest official K-meleon 1.54. When I download files there is an icon created that has no executable. Just a plain white icon with an MS flag on it. Will not open with any program. These are exe programs im dowloading not zip or rar . This only started happened with K-meleon. Is there a work-around ? .

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems with downloading .exe files
Posted by: siria
Date: February 04, 2011 11:05PM

Doesn't happen on my 98se here. Can you give an example site? It could be server related... Have you tried the same download with other browsers? Have you tried right-clicking that "icon" and opening/editing in notepad to read its contents?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2011 11:07PM by siria.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:17AM

Hi, it just started happening after I installed K-Meleon. This is a fresh install of win98se with all the updates downloaded. I had 1e6sp1 and their updates loaded and things worked fine. I like the browser, Im sure its something that can be worked out. If I open one of the files in wordpad, its just all gibberish. But it does say that this program cannot be open in DOS mode. Maybe its trying to open the file in DOS mode ?

Date: February 05, 2011 12:19AM

Im going to reinstall K-Meleon to see if that helps.

Date: February 05, 2011 12:33AM

Ok, its seems as though there was an issue with my zip program (strange). I downloaded another zip utility. And its working fine. Just a glitch on my end I guess. Thanks !

Date: February 05, 2011 12:41AM

Still not working. I thought I had it fixed. Maybe its the download manager/ interface that K-Meleon uses ?

Date: February 05, 2011 12:41AM

[

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 05, 2011 12:55AM

zzrich
If I open one of the files in wordpad, its just all gibberish. But it does say that this program cannot be open in DOS mode. Maybe its trying to open the file in DOS mode ?

As Siria said, provide an example link.

What you read with Wordpad is just the machine code for that compiled .exe file. Just rename the file downloaded from "whatever" to "whatever.exe".

In other words, you are downloading exe files ok, maybe you, by mistake, removed the .exe (the file extension) when you selected the name of the file to be saved.

Date: February 05, 2011 07:34AM

Thanks Guys ! Turns out I just had a real flakey oem gateway keystone (ms 6389) motherboard that was acting up with 98se installed. I might burn the darn thing in the morning ! I am now using a tryed and true dfi nforce 3 250gb. Its working fine now with the little green guy ! Just bad hardware on my end. Thanks for all the input !

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.