General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
temp files
Posted by: les
Date: February 01, 2011 08:57PM

probably a stupid question for all of you pro's...but how can i set k-meleon so that it will automatically delete the things in the temp folder when i close it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: temp files
Posted by: guenter
Date: February 01, 2011 09:34PM

les
probably a stupid question for all of you pro's...but how can i set k-meleon so that it will automatically delete the things in the temp folder when i close it?

There are no stupid questions - only dumb answers.

K-Meleon does not use the temp folder to store temporary data. He stores his data in his profile folder where only the user and the Admins of the PC have access.

Depends what You want to have cleaned on a multi user machine or USB else what You want to hide from the Admin. smiling smiley

If the Admin lets You administer Your K-Meleon Profiles or if You are the Admin.

View Settings under F2 -> Privacy & Security -> General, History, Cache and fine tune what You want to keep. For best Privacy make sure that the data You do not want are not written on HDD/USB. Else potential searchers can undelete some of what You have deleted. E. g. Set K-Meleon so that he use no Disk Cache but store cache in RAM, Reject cookies, or give them a short live time for this session only, keep no history... You can probably find some more details in Forum under settings for Portable K-Meleon, where persons wanted no make little or no data impression on USB, which can get lost...

Cleaning up later (on a machine where normally nobody searches intentionally).

The complete cleaning afterwards settings are in the menu:

Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data.

The files from the visited places are kept in the Cache...
If a detail is not clear just ask. That is what this forum is for.

greetings from Hannover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2011 09:53PM by guenter.

Re: temp files
Posted by: snuz2
Date: February 04, 2011 06:23AM

Kmeleon does not save anything in the temp folder, but plugins do. That's where content you download and ask to "open" rather than "save" goes. That's where audio, video, flash, pdf's also go while they are in use. The plugin is responsible to delete them when finished, but doesn't always do the job. If there is a crash while the content is in use, it will not be deleted.

I have a small program I run at startup that purges anything over a few days old in the temp folder automatically. You can find it MSFN in the Windows 98 thread from about a month ago. It is not safe to delete everything in there because that is how some programs pass info between reboots, especially during installation. But really should n't be anything over a few days old in there. If you look, you will likely see lots of junk that should go and clean the folder up! It's amazing how much junk gets stored in there.

Many IE based programs store way more stuff in there than MOzilla ever does. This includes Windows help files, yahoo messenger and any apps that are really internet explorer in disguise.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.