General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
"phrases search"?
Posted by: sam
Date: March 08, 2006 03:02PM

when I highlight a phrase in the page for example :
Pocket K-Meleon V1.0b5k and right click to search it in google...is possible to add quotations to change it to
"Pocket K-Meleon V1.0b5k"..Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "phrases search"?
Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 08, 2006 06:11PM

Select the text, hit ctrl+c to copy it to the clipboard, then click the page to remove the selection. Now right click and choose google search, a blank will pop up prompting you for text. Just paste the phrase and put quotes around it.

Date: March 09, 2006 12:47AM

I'm lazy..I'd like it easier.Thx.

Posted by: bst82551
Date: March 09, 2006 01:37AM

You can simply add another search engine that is just google with the quotes. I don't know how you'd get the second quote in there, but I'm sure it's possible... somehow. I know that you can just put the first quote and it will work as if you've put it the entire search query in quotes. Here is the way to just put the first quote:

In macros:

GoogleQuotes{
&OldSearch; $search = "Google Quotes";
$eng = "http://www.google.com/search?q=\"";
&SetSearch;
}

Also in macros, find the following macro and add the underlined line to the macro:

EngineSync{

setcheck("macros(GoogleQuotes)", getpref(STRING, $sen) == "Google Quotes" ? true:false);

}

In menus, find the Engines menu and add the underlined line to the menu:

Engines{

macros(GoogleQuotes)

}

I haven't tested this macro yet, but I'm hoping it will work. It should. I don't see why it wouldn't. I'll test it anyway and get back to you on whether it works for me or not.

Brian

Date: March 09, 2006 01:47AM

Yep. It works just fine here on my end. By the way, if you'd like to make it say Google Quotes in the menu, you can put the following into Engines instead:

macros(GoogleQuotes, Google Quotes)

Whatever you add after the comma is what will show up in the menu.

Brian

Date: March 09, 2006 05:48AM

Mr. Brian, I'm sorry I do not know how to underline!?
I open my word pad and can underline but when I copied
it,no underline.Any idea? Thx.

Posted by: Drahken
Date: March 09, 2006 12:18PM

You don't need to underline anything, he just underlined it to emphasize what you need to change.

Date: March 09, 2006 06:03PM

I only get one " on the left and nothing on the right of the phrase...What I'm doing wrong? Thx.

Posted by: vpowell
Date: March 09, 2006 07:25PM

I'm not too good with macros, but I patched this together from bits of other macros.
So try this::

in macros.cfg ==================

# ----ENGINES----
GoogleQuotes{
$tmp=getclipboard(); setclipboard(); id(ID_EDIT_COPY); $var=getclipboard(); &OldSearch; $search = "'".$var."'";
$eng = "http://www.google.com/search?q=\"".$var."\"&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&filter=0";
&Locked; setclipboard($tmp);
}

also in macros.cfg............................

EngineSync{
setcheck("macros(GoogleQuotes)", getpref(STRING, $sen) == "GoogleQuotes" ? true:false);

in menus.cfg ==================

Engines{
macros(GoogleQuotes, Google in Quotes)

Date: March 10, 2006 12:07AM

There we go! :-D
The macro with just the one quote is what I was intending for it to do, as Google will give you the same results with just one quote as it would with the entire search term in quotes.
Your macro looks like it works better. Good job.

Brian

Posted by: vpowell
Date: March 10, 2006 12:23AM

Actually my patchwork macro is a bit of a mess.
It's written wrong, but it does exactly what sam requested.
The reason I know it's written wrong is that when you try to use it as a search from a prompt it doesn't work. It ONLY works from selected text. That means it will work perfectly for what sam wants to do, but it isn't anything that belongs in the macro library.

Date: March 10, 2006 12:53AM

Thx guys...This time it worked that way I liked it.

Date: March 10, 2006 04:06AM

@vpowell
Well, I believe the one I put above should still work just fine. If, for some reason, sam begins to experience problems from the macro you posted, they can just use the one I put above, but they'll have to get used to not seeing that ending quotation. The ending quotation isn't necessary for it to work, but it looks better and it is proper.

Brian

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.