General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
bookmarks toolbar not working in 1.6.0??
Posted by: Rodrigo Turren
Date: January 23, 2011 08:26PM

hi guys, yesterday I downloaded 1.6.0 beta and I was suprised that I didn't see any kind of way to add bookmarks, and I thought it was a bug or sth stupid so I tried to untick/tick-apply Enable bookmarks toolbar several times and it still continued not appearing in the browser window

Is there any kind of solution for this? this ver is a looooot faster than the previous one and I don't want to go back again for this sad smiley

thanks.

btw: I'm using xp sp3 (temporally) on a core i7 rig with 6gigs of ram

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bookmarks toolbar not working in 1.6.0??
Posted by: guenter
Date: January 23, 2011 09:36PM

Hola,

1.) Means probably that You have setup K-Meleon so that he does not have writing rights in his profiles folder. If You used the 7z archive or un-selected multy user profiles during setup - You have a profile.ini in ./program files/K-Meleon/..
It makes that this installed K-Meleon creates Profiles in the program folder so that this K-Meleon is portable & can be copied and run everywhere - e.g. on a USB stick.

To repair that problem You can either delete that profile.ini or grant writing privileges to the ./program files/k-Meleon/Profiles folder.

2.) Looks like a bug that You cannot use bookmarks bar.

Greetings to UY from De (Germany)

Posted by: svejk
Date: February 04, 2012 11:33PM

I can't get bookmarks, page fwd/back, home, etc in my toolbar.

Is this because this computer is so old? Never seemed to have this problem in previous versions of kmeleon.

very frustrated on this.

Date: February 05, 2012 08:29AM

Make sure that You have the needed VC 8 runtimes
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5638

& common controls version 6 installed on Your machine.
On some machines it does not suffice to use a shipped runtime.

p.s. The resources needed of 1.6 are not higher than for previous versions.

So You can get K-Meleon 1.6 to run with Win98 & Kernel Ex and Windows2000 on old machines.

The only drawback on these very old systems is that they lack alpha support.
To cover this You can use an old skin that does not need the support for this graphic innovation.

Posted by: svejk
Date: February 05, 2012 04:58PM

Make sure that You have the needed VC 8 runtimes
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5638

That solved my problem. Thank you. I was just about to get really angry here at the forum and that saved all of us the ugliness. I was thinking that for some perverse reason, 1.6.0 had made desktop GUI changes reeeeeeallly difficult.

I did a fresh install of the 2002 computer's system using its original discs. I never had this problem with previous versions of kmeleon. I even updated, for the first time, to service pack two SP2 on this old machine. Are these "VC 8 Runtimes" something new to SP3?

Thanks again for the help. I just checked my disk space. With fresh install and service pack two my disk usage is nearly 80 percent of the clunky old 6gb harddrive.
I'll bid on an 80gb drive on ebay tonight.

Date: February 05, 2012 10:35PM

svejk
I never had this problem with previous versions of kmeleon. I even updated, for the first time, to service pack two SP2 on this old machine. Are these "VC 8 Runtimes" something new to SP3?

Thanks again for the help. I just checked my disk space. With fresh install and service pack two my disk usage is nearly 80 percent of the clunky old 6gb harddrive.
I'll bid on an 80gb drive on ebay tonight.

1.) Thx for feedback.

You should not be harsh, people here are volunteers & the forum is moderated...

The older versions installed VC 7.1 runtimes directly into the K-Meleon folder. This is not so easy with the newer VC 8 runtimes. MS made it saver and harder.

The VC 8 runtimes are not part of XP SP3.

2.) When You are pressed for HDD space You can delete the backup files XP keeps to be able to roll back the SP2 & SP3 just after You are sure their respective install succeeded. That way XP with SP2 and SP3 all should fit on about 2 GB partition space.

They did on my old Pentium III. All other stuff like program files had to go onto another partition and I had to clean for temp files but it worked.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2012 10:43PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.