General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Portable SeaMonkey suite - experiment
Posted by: Douglas
Date: March 06, 2006 12:30PM

Here's an experiment for any brave folk interested in trying to make the SeaMonkey suite 1.0 portable! No guarantees whatsoever, a single profile, and it will no doubt fall over if you start adding extensions. Anyway, here goes ...

IMPORTANT: This will always overwrite any existing profile registry for SeaMonkey - make sure you back up %appdata%\Mozilla\registry.dat if you might want to revert to the existing fixed installation later.

1) Copy the contents of your existing SeaMonkey program folder to a folder on a portable drive - say x:\SeaMonkey
2) Move the contents of the SeaMonkey profile folder (xxxxxxxx.slt) to a more convenient subfolder - say x:\SeaMonkey\profile
3) Copy my KM@X.EXE and KM@X.DAT files (download from http://kmeleon.uk.to ) to the x:\SeaMonkey folder
4) Create the following batch file SeaMonkey.bat in the x:\SeaMonkey folder:

@echo off
rem SeaMonkey.bat - Portable launcher for SeaMonkey suite, by D McFadzean 06/03/06
if not exist "%appdata%\Mozilla" md "%appdata%\Mozilla"
if not exist "%appdata%\Mozilla\registry.dat" echo x>"%appdata%\Mozilla\registry.dat"
km@x.exe "/r$\Mozilla" "/p*:\SeaMonkey\profile" /eSeaMonkey.exe

5) Run SeaMonkey via the SeaMonkey.bat batch file.

If you want to compress SeaMonkey (down to about 9.5Mcool smiley, I ran the following commands from the x:\SeaMonkey folder:
for /r %i in (*.exe) do upx --best --compress-icons=0 "%i"
for /r %i in (*.dll) do upx --best --compress-icons=0 "%i"
then I used a zip archiver to compress all *.JAR files in x:\SeaMonkey\chrome to the maximum level.

Without the -profile or -profilesDir command line options, SeaMonkey is a bit of a nuisance to make portable. Comments most welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Portable SeaMonkey suite - experiment
Date: March 06, 2006 12:34PM

In the batch file, please note that the second and fourth lines got wrapped in the posting. These lines should end as follows:

rem ...McFadzean 06/03/06
if not exist ...echo x>"%appdata%\Mozilla\registry.dat"

Re: Portable SeaMonkey suite - experiment
Date: March 07, 2006 08:25AM

Not so optimistic, it looks as though the following registry keys would also have to be set up first:
HKCU\Software\Mozilla\SeaMonkey 1.0
HKCU\Software\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.