General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Erase saved information on restart
Posted by: jaguar
Date: January 20, 2011 06:10AM

When I close K-Meleon and restart the browser it resets the default bookmarks and homepage. Am I suppose to save something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Erase saved information on restart
Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 20, 2011 12:28PM

This sounds like you may not have write authority to your profile.

Posted by: Jaguar
Date: January 20, 2011 07:27PM

I really don't understand, I'm sorry, I am a new K-Meleon user. I am used to Firefox, Safari, IE, etc. When you make a change to your bookmarks, toolbar layout, settings, everything is simply automatically saved. It does not work like that in K-Meleon. When I change my bookmarks, make setting changes, change the toolbar layout, when I close K-Meleon and re-open, K-Meleon resets itself, entirely, as if the program was reinstalled.

How can i prevent this. Perhaps the user (me) needs to make a change so that my settings are saved upong closing the browser.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by: siria
Date: January 20, 2011 08:04PM

Delete the file "profile.ini" in your K-Meleon folder, and restart :cool:
That makes that your profile folder is moved from the protected programs folder (=portable mode, single-user mode) into your windows user account, where you automatically should have writing rights (=setup multi-user mode)
Alternatively you could grant yourself writing rights in the current profile folder, but that must be done in the XP explorer, right-click on profile folder - properties - security stuff somewhere... Probably too complicated ;-)
By the way the current folder is shown if one clicks
Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory
(devs: perhaps wouldn't be bad to add that link also in the profile manager?)

Posted by: jaguar
Date: January 20, 2011 09:39PM

Perfect....thank you for your time and helpful answer

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.