General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
why won't K-M stop refreshing some pages?
Date: December 19, 2010 06:57AM

This has been bugging me a lot lately. Every so often I hit a site that won't stop refreshing. I have to hit Esc at the right moment to stop it at a point where I can read what I need to. Otherwise K-M keeps reloading the page over and over.

Here is an example:
http://www.disinfo.com/2010/12/xkcd-wikileaks-vs-anonymous/

It doesn't affect Firefox. I've saved some stuff to try to figure it out. Thinking probably some bit of JavaScript, but I'm no authority on that.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why won't K-M stop refreshing some pages?
Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2010 02:55PM

Oh, that prob sounds familiar to me sad smiley
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,109196,110810#msg-110810

It was really extreme in KM15x on facebook, but thankfully at least this site works now fine in KM1.6, uff. Seems to be gecko-related.
But I did a lot of searching around some two months ago, trying to find some workaround for that crap, but learned that there are various ways for website authors to force a refresh, and hard to avoid :-(
Yahoo.de was really the meanest: They have a "noscript" tag in the header, that explicitely tells the browser: If this user has javascript blocked, as soon as this page has finished loaded, redirect to this same page and so load it again... And load again that redirect command, as soon as the next page load is finished... and load it again, and if finished, load again... GRRR
No idea how things are today, have almost forgotten everything again what I learned recently *blush*

But regarding your example page, there happens NO reload for me with KM16beta1. With or without js blocked. That page just loads a hundred files from all sorts of domains, ad sites and better-not-know-what-else-all, and that takes a while, but stops itself at the end.

Posted by: caktus
Date: December 19, 2010 04:22PM

http://de.yahoo.com/ doesn't auto refresh on my 1.5.4 and js is not blocked. The policies manager at http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext1.htm makes it very easy to block js for particular domains.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: December 19, 2010 04:38PM

No idea if they changed their code meanwhile (sure hope so, it's been 3 months), but actually that messy site was the mail site. Yes, if javascript is allowed, there was no autorefresh, back then either! That autorefresh crap was the trick to punish people for *blocking* javascript, to force them to give yahoo access to their computer, grr.

Posted by: desga2
Date: December 19, 2010 06:08PM

Matera the Mad
Here is an example:
http://www.disinfo.com/2010/12/xkcd-wikileaks-vs-anonymous/

Load fine to me in KM 1.5.4 and also the Yahoo link in siria's post.

Some sites need to setting accepted cookies always or have enabled JavaScript to finish the load.
This sites have some ads that send you a cookie and if you don't accepted web site continued trying send you the cookie indefinitely.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 06:09PM by desga2.

Date: December 19, 2010 07:04PM

Hmm, yes that's often required, but I think my cookies stayed blocked when I tested his site, yet it worked without refreshing. Hmm... still have some shields up, like object-block (flash) and DomStorage block. But didn't try on KM154, only KM16, and so am blaming mostly the gecko engine ;-)

Date: December 20, 2010 05:16AM

Could be system differences letting some of you guys get away with it. smiling smiley I just hit another one. Disabled javascript, and it stopped bouncing. Re-enabled javascript, and it went postal again.

What I'd love to find is a way to block certain scripts. Can't block all javascript all the time, that would be Forum Hell. Meanwhile, I either give up and pass the link to Furryfox or go through the dis-/e-nable routine. Say, is there a macro for that? grinning smiley That would take 90% of the pain out.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 05:18AM by Matera the Mad.

Date: December 20, 2010 04:23PM

Privacy Toolbar :cool: *whistle*

Date: December 20, 2010 08:18PM

sad smiley I hate toolbars, they take up too much space. My lizard is stripped down to its underwear--main, url, and tabs. I do everything I can with a keystroke. Still, with so many psychotic sites around, it's a matter of choosing the lesser evil.

I'll have to devote a little time in Obsession Mode to finding a better solution. I'm just being lazy when I babble in forums winking smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: December 20, 2010 09:09PM

F7 :cool: Very easy to forget once it's toggled, but your default setting seems to be "allow JS", so no prob ;-)
Okay, considering your default mode, you can also just use the policies manager to block javascript on certain sites. The only catch, if I understood it right, is that this block-JS-policy also blocks certain KM commands, so those will not work either on blocked sites, like zooming images and a few macro commands which are based on JS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 09:21PM by siria.

Date: December 20, 2010 11:30PM

One very bad thing about blocking by site is that 99.999% of the problems occur on sites I might never revisit. I only hit them when following links from Twitter. :s

Looks like I'm stuck with an extra toolbar if I want peace of mind -- that, or get me some more education - LOL

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: December 21, 2010 01:05PM

stuck with an extra toolbar if I want peace of mind -- that, or get me some more education

Well, just one tiny bit of education: you can comment out all other buttons of your Privacy Bar. If you then replace that button's images by ones of the same size as in your other toolbars, you just have one more button, giving feedback of the actual state of "JS enabled/disabled".

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 01:06PM by SoerenB.

Date: January 07, 2011 06:19PM

I know, dear. Frinkin' tedious. *Sigh*

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Posted by: JamesD
Date: January 07, 2011 09:18PM

I get around the blocking by site only with a macro that I have written. I use Policy Manager and I have policies for 'Require JS' and 'JS popups'. I added 'Flip_PM.kmm' and a button in order to be able to note my current JS status and change it with a click.

The button is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/Flip_PM.bmp
I put it in the default folder under skins.

Flip_PM.kmm

#  K-Meleon Macros (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?id=MacroLanguage2)
#
# ---------- Flip_PM.kmm
# ---------- Change the default for JavaScript within Policy Manager
#
# Dependencies        : main.kmm
# Resources           : panorama image Flip_PM.bmp in SKINS\DEFAULT
#                     : may also have policy lists for allAccess and noAccess 
# Preferences         : -
# Version             : 0.4  12/02/09 
# --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_Flip_PM_RunCode {
$_FPM_ToolbarName = "Flip_PM" ;
$_FPM_BSize = "16" ;
$_FPM_LastItem = "" ;
$_FPM_AddBarTag = $_FPM_ToolbarName .",". $_FPM_BSize .",". $_FPM_BSize .",". $_FPM_LastItem ; 
pluginmsg(toolbars, "AddToolbar", $_FPM_AddBarTag);

$_FPM_ButtonName = "FlipJS" ;
$_FPM_Command = "macros(Flip_PM_Toggle)" ;
$_FPM_MenuName = "" ;
$_FPM_tipText = "Flip Policy Manager JavaScript on/off";
$_FPM_ImageHot = "Flip_PM.bmp[2]" ;
$_FPM_ImageCold = "Flip_PM.bmp[1]" ;
$_FPM_ImageDead = "Flip_PM.bmp[3]" ;
$_FPM_AddButtonTag = $_FPM_ToolbarName.",".$_FPM_ButtonName.",".$_FPM_Command.",".$_FPM_MenuName.",".$_FPM_tipText.",".$_FPM_BSize.",".$_FPM_BSize.",".$_FPM_ImageHot.",".$_FPM_ImageCold.",".$_FPM_ImageDead.",".$_FPM_LastItem ; 
pluginmsg(toolbars, "AddButton", $_FPM_AddButtonTag);
## ---  SYNC BUTTON TO PREF FOR DEFAULT JS  --- ##
$_FPM_ImageType = "COLD" ;
$_FPM_Current = getpref( STRING, "capability.policy.default.javascript.enabled");
if ($_FPM_Current == "allAccess" ) {
	##  1 equals green  -  0 equals red
	$_FPM_ImageCold = "Flip_PM.bmp[0]"; } else {
	}
$_FPM_SyncButtonTag = $_FPM_ToolbarName.",".$_FPM_Command.",".$_FPM_ImageType.",".$_FPM_ImageCold ;
pluginmsg(toolbars, "SetButtonImage", $_FPM_SyncButtonTag);
}

Flip_PM_Toggle {
togglepref( STRING, "capability.policy.default.javascript.enabled", "noAccess", "allAccess");
$_FPM_ImageType = "COLD" ;
$_FPM_Current = getpref( STRING, "capability.policy.default.javascript.enabled");
if ($_FPM_Current == "allAccess" ) {
	##  1 equals green  -  0 equals red
	$_FPM_ImageCold = "Flip_PM.bmp[0]"; } else {
	}
$_FPM_ToggleButtonTag = $_FPM_ToolbarName.",".$_FPM_Command.",".$_FPM_ImageType.",".$_FPM_ImageCold ;
pluginmsg(toolbars, "SetButtonImage", $_FPM_ToggleButtonTag);
}

$OnSetup=$OnSetup."_Flip_PM_RunCode;";
$macroModules=$macroModules."Flip_PM;";

Date: January 08, 2011 02:20AM

Hmm, eeeeeeeenteresting.

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.