General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Google Mail
Posted by: Jody Thornton
Date: November 23, 2010 04:34AM

Hi Folks:

I'm sure that this is not a K-Meleon issue, but just to be sure, I thought I'd ask.

When I use K-Meleon 1.6a4 or 1.60 Beta, and I log into Gmail. It brings me to an account screen first (apparently I haven't set up a Google Profile yet - nor do I want to). I can click "Mail" and go right into mail, but the point is, NO OTHER browser does this. IE6, IE8, Opera, and Firefox all log into Gmail directly without issue (and without that accounts screen coming up).

I have to use IE6 at work because we have older web-based tools that rely on it. At home, I used to have Opera 10.6 installed, but I removed it to convert over to K-Meleon instead. So now I have IE 8 and K-Meleon installed on Windows XP SP3 (I just wanted to clarify so that you didn't think I was running all of those browsers on one PC).

By the way, I have tried the user agents for Firefox AND Internet Explorer. No dice!

Has anyone else run into this?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Hamilton, Ontario)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Google Mail
Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 23, 2010 09:55AM

Jody .... just logged into Gmail and I'm not seeing what you are seeing. I use both KM 1.5.4 and the new 1.6 Beta on my notebook and when I log in I go right into my e-mail. Might be a KM setting or something at Gmail ... maybe someone else can be of more help. Just thought I'd let you know that all is OK from my side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 01:25PM by duffy98.

Posted by: guenter
Date: November 23, 2010 10:12AM

Jody Thornton

When I use K-Meleon 1.6a4 or 1.60 Beta, and I log into Gmail. It brings me to an account screen first (apparently I haven't set up a Google Profile yet - nor do I want to).

AFAIK You have to set the check-mark to stay logged in.
That lets You pass directly into Your mail the next time You go there.

At: Angemeldet bleiben.
Sorry I only could get a German screenshot.
But it should have the same layout in English.

The setting that gets You in automatically is AFAIK remembered by a cookie.
If K-Meleon does not accept this setting You have to make sure that he has writing privileges in Your profile folder where his cookies are stored.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 10:26AM by guenter.

Attachments: google.gif (10 KB)  
Posted by: siria
Date: November 23, 2010 02:00PM

I had that problem just some 2 days ago, when logging into my youtube account. The login page sounded like that was supposed to be some "new security feature", they claimed that users were safer from account theft if they logged in to a complete google account first. I declined, what they accepted, but only gave me the choice to be "reminded again later".

So my guess for now is that it is some new google code, and whether you see that "global" login probably depends from some earlier stored cookies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 02:02PM by siria.

Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 23, 2010 02:16PM

siria ... I also saw something like that at my Yahoo account a couple of times. I said "Remind me Later" ... I think it was in case a person forgets their Yahoo password then it could be sent to another e-mail address. I wasn't interested so I am not 100% sure if this is what you were also seeing. I guess a Yahoo security thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 01:25PM by duffy98.

Date: November 26, 2010 06:36PM

This is what I get when I login (and only for the first time in a browser session. If I log out and then in again, it goes straight to my mail. But if I exit K-Meleon and then start it up again, it shows this screen again.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t153/JodyThornton/GoogleLogin.gif

Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Thornhill, Ontario)

Date: November 26, 2010 07:02PM

If it's session related, I'd suggest to check if cookies are only allowed to be stored for a session or such...
Cookie settings are here: F2 > Privacy
There could also be a session-restriction for google-cookies (in "Exceptions").
Unless there's some extension used for cookies, that may have own settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 07:39PM by siria.

Date: November 26, 2010 08:50PM

Jody Thornton
This is what I get when I login (and only for the first time in a browser session. If I log out and then in again, it goes straight to my mail. But if I exit K-Meleon and then start it up again, it shows this screen again.

sad smiley Annoying.

Try this URL e.g. as bookmark in combination with the setting I suggested.

http://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox

When I login with K-Meleon it always gets me here:

Greetings from Hannover, Lower Saxony, Germany - guenter

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 09:21PM by guenter.

Attachments: google.gif (37.4 KB)  
Date: November 27, 2010 10:58PM

siria
If it's session related, I'd suggest to check if cookies are only allowed to be stored for a session or such...
Cookie settings are here: F2 > Privacy
There could also be a session-restriction for google-cookies (in "Exceptions").
Unless there's some extension used for cookies, that may have own settings.

Thank you muchly! That URL fixes it up enough for my liking!
smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2010 10:58PM

LOL - I meant to quote Guenter. Sorry about that.

Date: November 28, 2010 12:34AM

Jody Thornton
LOL - I meant to quote Guenter. Sorry about that.

Nice that You consider the problem as: Fixed.

Greetings to Ontario from the old Europe.

p.s. siria waun't mind IMHO - all girls like compliments grinning smiley (pulling her leg).
But we can ask a moderator to fix the wrong quote - if You want grinning smiley (pulling Yours)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2010 12:48AM by guenter.

Date: November 28, 2010 02:06PM

Never mind, can live with it tongue sticking out smiley grinning smiley

Once more it keeps amazing me how we sometimes forget the easiest things, like using the right URL! Had it happened to myself, then checking the entry URL would have been one of the first things that would come to mind. But if it's someone else's problem, we tend to assume that such basics go without saying and often simply forget such possible reasons! Good thing there are usually enough people around, one of them will have the right idea smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.