Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: siria
Date: December 19, 2010 06:59PM

IMO the problem is that here are way too little people for testing and reporting, for comparing, with different systems. So for most things it's really hard to tell if something really is a bug or perhaps just some configuration difference, or if something is really win9x related or a general prob. Always riddling... :-/

Posted by: duffy98
Date: December 19, 2010 08:40PM

desga2 ... just thought I'd post on using the new KM 1.6 Beta 2 version with Windows 98SE ... so far everything working good with latest version of KernelEx installed. Using Flash Player v9.0.277.0 (9x), seem to have problems with Flash Player v10.0.45.2 (9x) and so I don't use it but that version didn't work with any KM version for me. Haven't used the new Beta 2 version all that much but as I said, so far everything seems to be OK. ... thanks desga2 for your work, like you said, your 1.6 versions aren't supposed to work with Windows 98SE but with KernelEx there is a chance for Win 98SE users to use the newer versions.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 19, 2010 09:47PM

I surrender for some testing (html5 early adopters are making me go nuts) and I would like to repeat the problem with the preference windows positioning (this is so trivial and maybe I finally report as a bug) reported already for 1.6b1 and I think is related to bug 1261 as looks the preference window is on XUL.

The crash on source code view and scroll, for kmm files too (already reported as a bug).

I hope to report more as I've no chance than test it (damn webmasters) while I complete my profile changes in the next days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 09:50PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: December 19, 2010 11:02PM

Errrr.... guys any easy way to convert cookies.txt to cookies.sqlite?

Damn, I used seamonkey because I didn't found a way and, for hostperm.1, there weren't any problems, but with cookies... when I open cookie manager, a crash!

And don't tell me to log in on every site because my cookies file is not tiny, even when I don't accept every cookie.

EDIT: also, I find that some sites which requires certificates become unusable... I think one of the reasons could be how GRE has updated the way it works with certificates...

And then you ask why I'm sticky to 1.1.x :/ One thing is to enhance something and all mix all up and I'm not talking about K-meleon, but Mozilla.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2010 11:13PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: December 21, 2010 09:44AM

@desga2:

yes, i realize everything you said, i'm just documenting behavior. The random mouse selection seems particularly suspicious and the drop down menu fail. Those seem like possible KM bugs because why would new gecko change mouse behavior? As for the URL drop down, if it works on XP, then yeah, it's Kex bug, otherwise seems like Kmeleon. I really haven't used it enough to make a proper bug report. so, you asked what i observe and i tell you. i will post more if I see anything suspicious.

Posted by: jemmi
Date: December 21, 2010 10:13PM

Hey guys! smiling smiley I just have switched to beta 2. So before i forget that i write it here. Report from my daily use with beta 1 : Youtube, Dailymotion, Wat-tv and Megavideo seems ok for me! Youtube is perfect with KM! I know i wrote about html5-video but not a problem since i have the new flash player. Other things from my daily use with beta 1 : with Gmail, Yahoo and hotmail seems ok too. Multiuser feature in beta 1 is ok for me : i use 4 windows profiles/users with 'switch mode' and all ok with beta 1. My school is working with PDF so no problem here too. Only Twitter isn't working with beta 1 but old Twitter is working on KM154 but i have also Chrome and Firefox so that's ok. I also remember having difficulties with clearing the history. oh, i also use KM in full screen with dualtv and once it seems KM disapeared but no crash... can't say more actually, i'll test that with beta2. Something interesting i noticed : i extracted a KM154 version and my beta 1 and my KM154 were pointing to the same profile. Cool feature for bookmarks, favorites and cache locations. ok, hope this can help. Have great Xmas weekend! smiling smiley PSyawning smileyops i forgot my sys is winXPpro-sp3 700Mhz 256MB S3-Savage9-dualtv-8MB Flash=10.2beta Reader=10 .Net=2.0

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2010 10:32PM by jemmi.

Posted by: jmillar
Date: December 22, 2010 03:09PM

VERY.VERY stable and very solid feel. Great improvement over b1. Congratulations!!!!

Posted by: heldenlama
Date: December 22, 2010 05:38PM

HI,

I just found your 1.6 Beta 2 and I have the same Problem as in previous Version. I own an IPB Board and the Shoutbox there based upon javascript - it is not reloading automatically and I'm still not able to post there. In Official Final Version of KM I have no problems www.arcade-dschungel.eu - but you need to be regged to enter the shoutbox. Maybe someone could help me out of this trouble... is this a well known Bug? Is this a Feature I have to tweak on?

Thank you

Date: December 22, 2010 05:56PM

sorry I'm not able to edit my previous post I see it is AJAX based and I recieve an error

Error: ajax_request is not defined
Source file: http://www.arcade-dschungel.eu/board/jscripts/shoutbox/shoutbox.js
Line: 4231

I do not understand a single line code - I only know, that it does work in all other browsers - maybe you could make it work in this version too? I need this box lol

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 22, 2010 08:22PM

heldenlama
sorry I'm not able to edit my previous post I see it is AJAX based and I recieve an error

Error: ajax_request is not defined
Source file: http://www.arcade-dschungel.eu/board/jscripts/shoutbox/shoutbox.js
Line: 4231

I do not understand a single line code - I only know, that it does work in all other browsers

1.) Only "logged in" users can edit.

2.) ?

3.) Have You tried with another browser that uses GRE 1.9.1.17pre?

1.) Editieren kannst du nur, wenn du angemeldeter User bist.
Hab ich nicht gelesen, zählt nicht. Shoutboxregeln... smiling smiley

2.) ?

3.) ? K-Meleon1.6 benutzt eine JavaScript Maschine von Mozilla,
die mit GRE 1.9.1. kommt.

Hast du mit Firefox 3. nicht 3.6 probiert?

K-Meleon 1.5.4 benutzt die ältere JavaScript Maschine von GRE 1.8.x.

Sie sind nicht identisch.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2010 11:57PM by guenter.

Date: December 23, 2010 04:11AM

Which Version of FF I should Try? I'm using actual developer Version of 4 - but it consumes too much Ressources - but the Shoutbox works like it should.

If I should test another Version please let me know which...
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

Thanks

Date: December 23, 2010 04:17AM

edit:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.1/

with this version the shoutbox works like a charme :-(

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: December 23, 2010 06:10AM

well I'm happy to report that after removing KM 1.6b1 and installing KM 1.6b2, I'm not getting any crashes on my XP computer...so far.

I've also installed KM 1.6 beta 2 onto my WinME machine w/ KernelEx 4.5 RC5 installed. So far so good.

duffy98
desga2 ... just thought I'd post on using the new KM 1.6 Beta 2 version with Windows 98SE ... so far everything working good with latest version of KernelEx installed. Using Flash Player v9.0.277.0 (9x), seem to have problems with Flash Player v10.0.45.2 (9x) and so I don't use it but that version didn't work with any KM version for me. Haven't used the new Beta 2 version all that much but as I said, so far everything seems to be OK. ... thanks desga2 for your work, like you said, your 1.6 versions aren't supposed to work with Windows 98SE but with KernelEx there is a chance for Win 98SE users to use the newer versions.

uh duffy98, there is a Flash Player v9.0.289.0 available; it came out the same time as Flash Player v10.1.102.64. might as well update Flash 9.0 to the latest release. I'm keeping away from Flash Player 10.0.x and higher on my Win98se/WinME computers. Latest Flash Player 9 release is good enough for me as long as I have KernelEx installed under 98se/ME.

have a happy and prosperous Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year! See ya in 2011!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2010 06:16AM by 4td8s.

Date: December 26, 2010 04:54PM

don't ask me why, but after setting the User Agent to Firefox my Shoutbox works :O I found this Solution at this thread here http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,105039 - strange but I will not care as long as it works lol

Date: December 26, 2010 07:35PM

Nothing strange, faking the user agent is the first default fix one usually tries if a website is too stupid to deliver the correct javascripts to lesser known browsers tongue sticking out smiley
If a page is coded in a way to only look and say: Who's that, a Firefox surfer? Okay, send him over javascript version F. Next one: I see, a Chrome visitor. Lets give him script version C. And what's here? K-Meleon, what in the world is that?? Hey who cares, let's give all others just that special script for IE. Period. On such sites things suddenly start working fine when letting KM declare that it were a Firefox :cool:

More intelligent webmasters don't look for browser name but for their engine inside, which is also contained in the user agent string. Engines exist far less. In the case of KM it is 'gecko', just like in Firefox and Seamonkey too.

By the way, there are already lots of answers if you click on Help>FAQ :cool:

Posted by: duffy98
Date: December 27, 2010 12:50PM

4td8s ... yes, I was aware of the newer Flash v9.0.289.0 and I did update IE 6 with it ... I downloaded both versions ... (IE and non IE). I keep IE 6 on my computers but never use it anymore, unless I need it for a particular web site. I was just waiting to see if the newer version will be "patched" for K-Meleon. If a newer patched version doesn't turn up one day then I will install the newer regular Flash version. Thanks for mentioning it, I might have missed the newer version and maybe some others weren't aware of the newer version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2010 12:52PM by duffy98.

Date: December 30, 2010 02:13AM

I've got the latest Flash 10 running on KM1.5, 1.6 and IE6 under KEx 4.5.15. No problems, no sticking on utube videos. amazed.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: December 30, 2010 03:14AM

snuz2
I've got the latest Flash 10 running on KM1.5, 1.6 and IE6 under KEx 4.5.15. No problems, no sticking on utube videos. amazed.

snuz2,

Which version of Flash would that be?

(I'm using 10.1.102.64)

N

Date: December 31, 2010 06:01AM

@ndebord:
Same as you, I believe. I am using siria's ( and other's) recommendation to just put the plugin in the km folder, rather than actually install it. But I don't think it makes a difference. With the current KEx, I just downloaded from Adobe, and ran it. And I'm one of the people who could never get 10.0 to work, it would install, but never display anything.

I saw you were looking for Aggreg8 the other day, have you ever tried my replacement for it called microrss? it's about 1/10th the size, does more and looks better but same simple design. can download from extensions. only works on 1.5 and below for now, but I will try to migrate it to 1.6 later this month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2010 06:02AM by snuz2.

Date: December 31, 2010 11:18AM

snuz2
I saw you were looking for Aggreg8 the other day, have you ever tried my replacement for it called microrss? it's about 1/10th the size, does more and looks better but same simple design. can download from extensions. only works on 1.5 and below for now, but I will try to migrate it to 1.6 later this month.

IMHO MicroRSS has been always better than Aggreg8.

p.s. Aggreg8 - You need to extract its components from the last K-Meleon with which it was used. AFAIK that Aggreg8's CSS and code errors have been fixed by contributors of the K-Meleon project.

Original Aggreg8? - just open the error console on it. grinning smiley

Date: January 02, 2011 04:59PM

snuz2
@ndebord:
Same as you, I believe. I am using siria's ( and other's) recommendation to just put the plugin in the km folder, rather than actually install it. But I don't think it makes a difference. With the current KEx, I just downloaded from Adobe, and ran it. And I'm one of the people who could never get 10.0 to work, it would install, but never display anything.

snuz2,

Sorry, just saw your post. Yes, I did try microrss in KM 1.6beta1, but couldn't get it to work (nor Aggreg8), so moved on to NewsFox (for now).

N

Date: January 06, 2011 09:49AM

yeah, I said that. I will try to migrate it to 1.6 later this month, after I finish another project.

Date: January 06, 2011 04:31PM

snuz2
yeah, I said that. I will try to migrate it to 1.6 later this month, after I finish another project.

Snuz2,

Great.. I like simple whenever possible.

N

Date: January 22, 2011 09:40AM

The Icon problem...

By which I mean the favicon problem, not the menu icon problem. Garbled favicons are found, at least on W98. I have noticed something, I replaced the Iconcache.dat with an old one from KM 1.5 and now all the icons look perfect, even the new ones I think.
But I don't have the chrome folder with new ad css and broken picture css in my profile. When I added that, it seemed that new icons were messed up. So I took it out again.
Not super verified, but a useful hint perhaps to someone who has more time to look into it.

Date: January 22, 2011 12:21PM

So far I haven't noticed any difference iconcache-wise between KM15 and 16, but neither have done any new experimenting ;-) What I did notice sometime last year, when struggling endlessly and without success with my customize-favicon-macro, is that tabs with "page load error" have a strong tendency to wrongly assign icons of neighbor tabs. Even when force-reloading (single or all tabs??), it was somehow as if the tab counter were missing the error tabs, or such. Not sure anymore if that was mainly offline, been too long ago... But that's just meant as a very, very vague hint.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2011 12:24PM by siria.

Date: January 23, 2011 02:42AM

yup. I've seen that in the past. But I think it may even have happened on 1.5. All the tab icons off by one. Haven't seen it since using 1.6 though.

I've been watching favicons and new ones are not rendered correctly.sad smiley
Even with the old IconCache.dat. But we do learn that the problem is not rendering icons, just storing them or downloading them, since previously cached ones look perfect. The only way this could not be true is if when I installed the profile chrome folder, it messed something up permanently. But I don't think there is anything in that folder ( it's all css ) that could do this. Oh well, c'est la drek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2011 05:58AM by snuz2.

Posted by: vasa1
Date: January 25, 2011 06:34AM

Please clarify if I can have 1.5.4 (which is already installed) and 1.6.0 beta 2 on the same computer and keep them separate? In other words, like two totally different browsers, profiles, etc.

Is this possible if, for the 1.6.0 beta, I choose the "Full package with Installer" or should I install the "7zip portable" if I want to keep 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 beta 2 separate.

(I don't want to run both of them at the same time.)

Date: January 25, 2011 06:37AM

Can be done. I would chooose the 7zip package because it is less likely to install over, meaning on top of, 1.5.4. You will have to choose one to be default browser which handles links from other programs and html files. Although whichever one is running will get the requests. YOu can only have one active at a time.

Keep in mind that they are not generally sharing the same profile, so passwords, cookies, bookmarks are not shared.

Date: January 25, 2011 03:41PM

vasa1
Please clarify if I can have 1.5.4 (which is already installed) and 1.6.0 beta 2 on the same computer and keep them separate? In other words, like two totally different browsers, profiles, etc.

Is this possible if, for the 1.6.0 beta, I choose the "Full package with Installer" or should I install the "7zip portable" if I want to keep 1.5.4 and 1.6.0 beta 2 separate.

(I don't want to run both of them at the same time.)

Yes this is possible as said before.

I 'd choose the 7z since it has all that is needed for a portable install.
Info: Portable install has its independent Profiles folder in

./Whereever on HDD or USB/K-Meleon/profiles/...

Consequence: You must manually grant writing rights if You do not always use it as Administrator unless You install it in Your personal data folder or another place (removable disk, UScool smiley where You have writing privileges automatically.

Especially Vista and Windows 7 are picky about the location and the rights.

If You want to use the installer package You should first create an extra profile, set each version to use its own profile and make sure that the second installed K-Meleon gets its own unique folder name e.g. ./program files K-Meleon 16.beta2/ as oposed to ./program files/K-Meleon/.

1.5.x and 1.6.x can both use each others profiles - they are compatible - but it is not recommended to do so unless You do an extra backup first.

When each Version has its own Profile You can run both K-Meleons at the same time.

Give the destop icon of each version it own name. Right click on it and add the parameter "-new" to its start path. if the path has spaces, it must be in "".

Examples from my PC.

I always give each install a unique install folder name. That prevents me from accidentally install incompatible versions on top of each other. I keep old versions installed - my hdd is big enough. smiling smiley

An English test 1.6.

"C:\program files\k-meleon1.6beta2.en-US\k-meleon.exe -new"

My normal German Version.

"C:\program files\k-meleon1.5.4de-DE\k-meleon.exe -new"

Greetings from Hanover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2011 03:45PM by guenter.

Posted by: vasa1
Date: January 26, 2011 04:46AM

snuz2 & guenter, thanks for you for your guidance!

I had tried the 1.6.0 beta 7 zip version but I got the impression that some features were missing relative to 1.5.4. So I removed that (7 zip version) and 1.5.4 (including profile directory) and installed 1.6.0 full but still have features missing.

My computer is a Dell 1545 laptop with Win XP SP3.
This is the UA string I see when I click on About K-Meleon in the Help dropdown menu:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.17pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

It appeared to be missing some menu drop-down options that are in 1.5.4.
For example, under Tools, I just see "Web Search" and "Privacy". In 1.5.4 there's an easy way to switch proxy which I like.

Also, I don't see a home or reload button (both appear by default in 1.5.4) or a way to put it back (even after looking through preferences).

Currently my screen looks like this:
Top most row has "K-Meleon :: current page title" on the LHS and the Windows minimise, maximise, and close buttons on the RHS.

The second row from top has only "File, Edit, View, Tools, Help".

The third row has, from left to right, tabs URL bar, and throbber.

I have not disabled any macro extensions or plug-ins and none of the posters here have referred to missing what I am missing. So I'm a little confused. Any help/clarification will be most appreciated.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.