K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 15, 2010 09:45PM

Please post here all your problems, bugs, fixes and comments about K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta.

When we (Administrators and developers) considered aceptable your post, we move your problem, fix, comments or suggestion to the other thread in Developement forum.

Remember K-Meleon 1.6.0 is only a Beta version and have some errors and problems yet, but we considered it's enough stable for usual browsing.

More info about 1.6.0 Development:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,112236
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16

Thanks.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 09:49PM by desga2.

Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: November 15, 2010 10:06PM

Two things smiling smiley

One that I already found in the past with Seamonkey 2 and that, probably, is related to UTF, is that appears a symbol at the end of the text in the status bar. As Windows 2000 has already UTF-8 support and you, desga (I hope) you are using it like me, does it happen to you?

http://img130.imageshack.us/i/km16statusbar.png/

The other thing is the commented by JamesD about the preference dialog. It appears in a fixed position every time. My scenario was a Virtual Win2k with a resolution of 800x600.

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/km16prefswindowspos.png/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 10:19PM by JohnHell.

Mouse Accelerators/Name of Password file
Posted by: guenter
Date: November 15, 2010 11:49PM

Mouse Accelerators of other browsers

The Text in Tools/Mouse Acceerators should be IMHO made independent from version number of supported browsers. I doubt that Opera, SeaMoney or Firefox change default accels. IMHO that can be done once & the change will save future work.

Name of Password file

New passwords are currently saved in: signons.txt

Do it Yourself tip for PPL that want random numbers.

If You remove the keys:

pref("signon.SignonFileName", "signons.txt"); // obsolete
pref("signon.SignonFileName2", "signons2.txt"); // obsolete
pref("signon.SignonFileName3", "signons3.txt"); // obsolete

in the file ./K-Meleon/greprefs/all.js

K-Meleon 1.6 will create "random-number.s" password files like K-Meleon did for many versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 11:51PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 15, 2010 11:50PM

Thank you for your great work to the developers! grinning smiley
Some nice little additions and updates, much prettier skin IMO, but also an awful lot of work "behind the scenes" that's almost invisible just to get gecko1.9 adapted and less bloated. Can well imagine that, although struggling myself only with a few harmless macro and js commands, microscopic tiny peanuts in comparison, but even so gecko1.9 has driven me crazy. The easiest things didn't work anymore or went completely weird!!

Especially glad, that KM1.6 still runs on win98 grinning smiley Although needing some tricks and having quite some bugs yet, mentioned in other threads already.

While looking again at the KM16 wiki page, two notes make me wonder:

"New: Transparency support for menu icons."
The menu icons have long since been transparent for me, and just checked to be sure in KM154 smiling smiley Perhaps that just means "alpha transparency" or such, some "advanced" transparency? ;-)

"Bugs: Crash when using the scrollbar with the gestures plugin enabled"
Am definitely a very happy gestures user without any crashes when scrolling. Only on certains systems perhaps, or configurations, or refers to KM1.7a...?

PS: Never noticed any weird signs in my status bar ;-)

PS2: Now noticed accidentally how pref tab size works on my win98 machine: The page first opens in the "last sized" state, then it makes whoosh and it gets automatically resized to best height and width, except that the upper left corner isn't moved accordingly ;-)

Posted by: ndebord
Date: November 16, 2010 12:08AM

desga2,

Excellent release and so fast! I am looking forward to porting all my macros over to KM 1.6!

First question: Flashblock... how to implement in this version. I think I did it, but I no longer see the little icon on the toolbar where you toggle between blocked and allowed Flash. It has a drop down dialog box where when you right click on it you get the following choices.

Options
Use Whitelist
Button Type
[X] Toolbar Button
[X] Privacy Bar

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 12:08AM by ndebord.

Date: November 16, 2010 12:14AM

Looks good to me. I'm going to test-drive it all over the internet. With my own skin and stripped toolbars, of course grinning smiley

A.K.A. Arual the Wyrd

Date: November 16, 2010 01:03AM

ndebord
First question: Flashblock... how to implement in this version.

Is not it part of the package? I only superficially checked but it seemed to work.

Date: November 16, 2010 01:36AM

guenter
ndebord
First question: Flashblock... how to implement in this version.

Is not it part of the package? I only superficially checked but it seemed to work.

Guenter,

I'm sorry, not being too clear here about what is missing. Yes, flashblock works, but what doesn't appear is the little icon that you can click on to turn it on or off and the dialog box that allows you to choose whether the little icon shows up in the main toolbar or in the privacy bar. That is totally missing.

Before, when Flashblock was an extension that you instealled with KEIH, it was simpler. Now Flashblock is embedded in the browser and seemingly missing (at least one my system) the icon and dialog box.

N

Date: November 16, 2010 02:52AM

Sorry did not understand You - I do not normally use it - so ...

Date: November 16, 2010 04:52AM

guenter
Sorry did not understand You - I do not normally use it - so ...

Guenter,

I usually surf with Java, Javascript and Flash turned off... when I want to see a flash object, I turn on Javascript and click on the little flashblock icon (both located on privacy bar of course <g>).

Miss that little icon and think perhaps I goofed somehow in KM 1.6.

N

Date: November 16, 2010 05:00AM

Guenter,

jsnj explained it. That little toggle flashblock icon was from the install for KM 1.5.4. This thread explains it best.

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?9,110937

N

Date: November 16, 2010 09:29AM

You mean the FlasblockButton extension with the little icon bar jsnj posted?

You mean: It seems not to work? 1.6beta does not accept macro installed icons?

I cannot reproduce Your error!

Unpack jsnj's download.

Place the icon into the folder ./K-Meleon/skins/default (You must create the folder/that is the folder for icons installed by macro extensions) and the macro into ./K-Meleon/macros.

Here skins.ini was missing? It decides whether a big or small icon from
./K-Meleon/skins/default is used.

p.s.

Maybe You also need to create a file ./K-Meleon/skins/skins.ini.
Press the "Quote" button to see what I wrote into the "code" section.
"large" in square brackets is invisble in Forum because it is bbccode also.

AuraAlpha(Large)=1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 10:35AM by guenter.

Posted by: duffy98
Date: November 16, 2010 10:49AM

Just posting about using your new Beta version with Windows 98SE. This will probably only be of interest to a few people like myself still using Win 9x. With the latest version of KernelEx installed ... all seems to be OK and working good. I use the Klassic skin also. The only "problem" if it can be called a problem, is that some web pages seem to take longer to load with the 1.6 Beta version than with the 1.5.4 version ... but this may just be all related to using 9x with the 1.6 Beta version or I may need to adjust some settings. Outside of that, seems to be OK with Windows 98SE and I will continue to use the new Beta version. ... thanks desga2

an update: I am on fast Wi-Fi now and the pages seem to open equally fast on either version. I have slower internet at home so that could be the reason for the lag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:54PM by duffy98.

Date: November 16, 2010 03:31PM

guenter
You mean the FlasblockButton extension with the little icon bar jsnj posted?

You mean: It seems not to work? 1.6beta does not accept macro installed icons?

I cannot reproduce Your error!

Unpack jsnj's download.

Place the icon into the folder ./K-Meleon/skins/default (You must create the folder/that is the folder for icons installed by macro extensions) and the macro into ./K-Meleon/macros.

Here skins.ini was missing? It decides whether a big or small icon from
./K-Meleon/skins/default is used.

p.s.

Maybe You also need to create a file ./K-Meleon/skins/skins.ini.
Press the "Quote" button to see what I wrote into the "code" section.
"large" in square brackets is invisble in Forum because it is bbccode also.

AuraAlpha(Large)=1

Guenter,

Check out jsnj's post in Extensions. The little icon does work as designed for KM 1.6xxx, but not exactly in the same fashion as it did in KM 1.5.4. I'm happy enough with it, but the truth is, I liked how it worked in KM 1.5.4 better.

<weak grin>

N

Date: November 16, 2010 04:52PM

ndebord
The little icon does work as designed for KM 1.6xxx, but not exactly in the same fashion as it did in KM 1.5.4. I'm happy enough with it, but the truth is, I liked how it worked in KM 1.5.4 better.

Why not? :O

It even can trigger/call up the site whitelist editor via right-click menu now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 04:56PM by guenter.

Attachments: flashblock.gif (17.5 KB)  
Posted by: 4td8s
Date: November 16, 2010 04:56PM

JohnHell

The other thing is the commented by JamesD about the preference dialog. It appears in a fixed position every time. My scenario was a Virtual Win2k with a resolution of 800x600.

http://img109.imageshack.us/i/km16prefswindowspos.png/

dang, JohnHell, it makes me want to buy a bigger computer monitor and I should be using screen resolution of 1024x768 instead of 800x600. i have to replace this old hp pavilion mx50 monitor someday. i may need to buy a used hp pavilion f70 flat screen monitor online.

another bummer. I sometimes get some random crashes with this new KM 1.6.0 beta when browsing some web sites. Hard to reproduce at times.

"Faulting application k-meleon.exe, version 1.6.0.0, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.6007, fault address 0x00010771."

Date: November 16, 2010 05:53PM

Guenter,

Yes, it does have that new ability to call up a whitelist you can control, but it no longer has the ability to toggle Flash on or off via the little icon.

N

Posted by: jsnj
Date: November 16, 2010 06:52PM

ndebord
Guenter,

Yes, it does have that new ability to call up a whitelist you can control, but it no longer has the ability to toggle Flash on or off via the little icon.

Hmm...that's the main purpose of the button, so if that's not working for you, that means something's wrong. I just checked and downloaded the file from the site just to be sure there was no corruption or anything. Installed in another KM 1.6 and all was well. Make sure FlashblockButton.kmm is in the KM directory macros folder. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for you since it calls the KM_ToggleFlashblock macro from the main.kmm file. When it's pressed and red, flashblock is enabled. When it's gray, flashblock is disabled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:56PM by jsnj.

Date: November 16, 2010 08:34PM

jsnj
When it's pressed and red, flashblock is enabled. When it's gray, flashblock is disabled.

It has that ability here too. But it is also grayed when the options menu is open.

Maybe ndebord has a corrupt profile or cache?

Nick, maybe try with a new profile after You checked that all is installed at the right place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 08:35PM by guenter.

Date: November 16, 2010 10:39PM

There's one really huge problem for me:
Just no way to stop scripts from loading, or going in circles endlessly! Neither stop button nor ESC key get in between, nor offline-button, and not even killing the connection. Must kill the browser if one is too heavy and nearly or completely freezes the browser sad smiley
One of my forums uses some scripts from ajax.googleapis.com, that's absolutely deadly. All it does (I guess) is to create that marquee-like fancy text moving across the page title. Have that ajax-addy now added to my hosts file, and the page works perfectly normal again.
Still that no-escape problem on other sites, if JS is on...

----

Ah yes, and another minor thing: I've usually set the error console as my "home page", that's useful if I'm dabbling with a new macro and mess it, and then the menu entry for the console sometimes vanishes, along with all other macro-created menus.
Now when I open this in KM16beta1, this "home page" suddenly doesn't open in a normal tab anymore, but resizes the whole browser window, even if I just call it like a normal page addy:
chrome://console2/content/console2.xul

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 11:32PM by siria.

Date: November 17, 2010 02:59PM

jsnj
ndebord
Guenter,

Hmm...that's the main purpose of the button, so if that's not working for you, that means something's wrong. I just checked and downloaded the file from the site just to be sure there was no corruption or anything. Installed in another KM 1.6 and all was well. Make sure FlashblockButton.kmm is in the KM directory macros folder. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for you since it calls the KM_ToggleFlashblock macro from the main.kmm file. When it's pressed and red, flashblock is enabled. When it's gray, flashblock is disabled.

jsnj,

It works... I had copied over the older flashblock.jar and manifest for some nutty reason... mea culpa.

Thanks!

N

Date: November 17, 2010 07:27PM

Win98: Am getting now sometimes "LGSCROLL.DLL" browser crashes, after first showing a "Visual C++ Runtime Error".
It could have something to do with closing tabs and/or windows, often happens the same second... Not always of course, but rather often. Never happened with cp4/preBeta or earlier versions.
Can't remember if that's also with a default profile or just mine, since 99% I'm using my own of course ;-)
Could also be some macro of course, am just a bit surprised that preBeta didn't do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 07:33PM by siria.

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 17, 2010 09:53PM

siria
Win98: Am getting now sometimes "LGSCROLL.DLL" browser crashes, after first showing a "Visual C++ Runtime Error".
It could have something to do with closing tabs and/or windows, often happens the same second... Not always of course, but rather often. Never happened with cp4/preBeta or earlier versions.
Can't remember if that's also with a default profile or just mine, since 99% I'm using my own of course ;-)
Could also be some macro of course, am just a bit surprised that preBeta didn't do that.

- I think this is a Logitech mouse driver problem:
http://www.medical-transcription1.com/forum/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=753
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090909063830AAv9uXI
http://blog.iobit.com/lgscroll-dll_4464.html
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/lgscroll/

- Try with this mark307's kplugin to solved the problem:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/initiative/mark307.htm#lwheel

Or you can try to updated the mouse driver from Logitech.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 09:54PM by desga2.

Date: November 17, 2010 10:38PM

Oh...! So LG means Logitech, and that's a mouse driver! Thanks desga smiling smiley

Funny thing is, my current mouse is from MS, but a previous one was from Logi, and guess the touchpad on this notebook too, which funnily doesn't even have a wheel. And I did have some mouse probs in the past, that's definitely a hot track here!
Hehe, I like the "installation" method of Marks tool grinning smiley
For the moment I'll try first to explicitely disable KernelEx for that dll, and if that doesn't help, try next Marks tool...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 10:39PM by siria.

Date: November 18, 2010 05:22AM

Cookies... how to handle them in KM 1.6beta.

CookieCuller? CookieMonster? SQlite thingees?

Any help much appreciated.

N

Posted by: panzer
Date: November 18, 2010 08:33AM

If adress is not found, this text appears:

The browser could not find the host server for the provided address.

* Did you make a mistake when typing the domain? (e.g. "ww.mozilla.org" instead of "www.mozilla.org")

Please change ww.mozilla.org and www.mozilla.org into kameleon.sourceforge.net and kmeleon.sourceforge.net. If you can. It is time already that we kick this part of text out.

grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 09:01AM by panzer.

Date: November 18, 2010 09:35AM

Not sure where this explanation comes from, either gecko built-in or KM:
"Redirection Limit exceeded. Reason may be blocked cookies..." or similar. If it's KM-text, another suggested reason could perhaps be added for blocked javascript. Have this more and more often lately, on one of the 'big' pages too, that the reason for failing logins were not blocked cookies but the blocked javascript.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 18, 2010 11:31AM

ndebord

I just went into options on Cookie Monster and set my 1.6 beta profile location into the Mozilla/Netscape line. Then I went to certain websites where I know that I want cookies saved, and after closing KM, I saved the cookies. This seems to work for me.

Posted by: rmn2
Date: November 18, 2010 01:40PM

A few things I noticed. Some of these may not be regressions, just things I haven't seen before.

1. loader.exe doesn't exist in the distribution. If enabled from the installer, a broken link gets added to Start → Programs → Startup.
  2. About → Release Notes still points to the 1.5 relnotes.
  3. The UA string doesn't include the Gecko date (e.g. Gecko/yyyymmdd). Don't know if this is intentional. Intended, as disrupted explains.
  4. Full Screen → Exit Full Screen → tabbar gone (open new tab to restore). I'm using kmeleon.tabs.position vtop, if that makes a difference.
  5. Can't Alt+F, have to Alt then F. I'm not using rebarmenu.
  6. Going to a new page or changing document.title causes the titlebar to display nothing. This is the same as the Bookmarks plugin-related bug that others have reported in Win9x (except I'm using Win7).

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 02:46AM by rmn2.

Date: November 18, 2010 05:30PM

JamesD
ndebord

I just went into options on Cookie Monster and set my 1.6 beta profile location into the Mozilla/Netscape line. Then I went to certain websites where I know that I want cookies saved, and after closing KM, I saved the cookies. This seems to work for me.

JamesD,

Thanks, I'll try that and get back to you. I was trying to use the K-meleon line as I did in KM 1.5.4.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.