General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: April 25, 2011 10:00PM

I was going to answer in your other thread, but... the answer is in this one already.

It's a known annoying thingy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Garth
Date: April 26, 2011 02:52AM

In the beta or in K-Meleon in general?

Thanks

Date: April 26, 2011 02:43PM

In the beta only. Or in the 1.6 version. I don't know if still happens on 1.7 alpha.

And be happy that you can interact after loading the page. Sometimes, until you click somewhere in the page, you can't do anything.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 26, 2011 03:40PM

in the beta only, not in alpha4. i'm using alpha4 and have no faults whatsoever in key accelerators while load. from my experience alpha4 is more stable/functional than the beta and currently using it as default.. it has xul-related bugs and peculiarities(not fixed in the betas anyways) and pretty much functioning as stable 1.5.4. while using the chrome parts of the beta

first copy the chrome folder from the beta2

download the 1.6 alpha4 https://sourceforge.net/projects/kmeleon/files/k-meleon-dev/1.6.0a4/K-Meleon1.6a4.7z/download

extract it normally then copy over the beta2 chrome folder to replace alpha4's chrome parts like embed.jar, kmprefs.jar, console2 and newsfox etc

Date: April 26, 2011 04:28PM

I tried alpha 4 with the beta 2 chrome and you're right, accelerators work fine. Everything is snappier too. My macros work. I had to do some skin-switching and toolbar-jiggling, but now I'm back in business.

Thank you!

I trust someone understands what broke between alpha 4 and beta 2. I am willing to provide whatever testing/bug-replication is helpful -- just e-mail me as I may not check the thread regularly. To be clear, my issue was that accelerators didn't work during page load/render, which is a considerable period of time for sites like nytimes.com. I was also experiencing the regular lost mouse clicks on elements of the browser interface, such as menu items. Usually it was the first mouse click that got lost on something like Edit>Preferences. The second mouse click usually got through.

Thanks all.

Date: April 26, 2011 04:36PM

For what it's worth, the problem also exists on 1.7 alpha 2 -- which, by the way, is very pretty and snappy apart from this issue.

Posted by: siria
Date: April 28, 2011 10:16PM

Interesting... Wonder what file or folder causes that exactly. Have that prob too,except

which is a considerable period of time for sites like nytimes.com

Hitting the stop button a couple times stops the loading usually. The escape key should do the same, but not always it seems...
Then again, am surfing without javascript most of the time, and thinking about it, yes I think sometimes there was no way to stop a script...
And often the browser seems to think it were already finished and on stop when the text has loaded, the statusbar claims "Ready" and the loading icon is replaced with the real one, while still some stuff keeps loading on a page.

Edit: tried exchanging various folders in my 16b2 and 16a4 version, and testing with F5 for reloading. Looks like that depends from something in the root folder directly and/or components folder. That stuff seems to belong together, havent managed yet to exchange only parts or KM doesnt work.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 12:23AM by siria.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: May 11, 2011 06:41PM

I wonder if there'll be a K-meleon 1.6 beta 3 coming soon. I hope KM 1.6 gets finalized by the end of 2011.

I know for a fact that Mozilla is ending all support for Firefox 3.5 soon after they released Firefox 3.5.19. No new releases of Firefox 3.5 will be produced after 3.5.19.

Mozilla seems to be moving more quickly on releasing new versions of Firefox. FF5 beta is coming out on May 17 and FF5 final is scheduled to be released on June 21.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2011 06:43PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: May 12, 2011 02:28AM

4td8s
I wonder if there'll be a K-meleon 1.6 beta 3 coming soon. I hope KM 1.6 gets finalized by the end of 2011.

I know for a fact that Mozilla is ending all support for Firefox 3.5 soon after they released Firefox 3.5.19. No new releases of Firefox 3.5 will be produced after 3.5.19.

Mozilla seems to be moving more quickly on releasing new versions of Firefox. FF5 beta is coming out on May 17 and FF5 final is scheduled to be released on June 21.

4td8s,

As you know, parallel development is going on on both KM 1.6 and KM 1.7... come Summer and we should know more.

I, for one, am less than happy that FireFox is copying Chrome and have serious doubts about Mozilla Corp's ability to maintain quick turnaround. They think that aping Google with less than stellar releases is a good thing. We'll see.

N

Posted by: km2
Date: June 07, 2011 11:03AM

Hello guys.
So, what version K-M 1.6 is the last at moment.. Beta2 or Beta2 with chrome from alpha4.

Date: June 07, 2011 11:04AM

km2
Beta2 with chrome from alpha4.
I mean alpha4 with chrome from Beta2 smiling smiley

Date: June 10, 2011 12:25PM

km2
km2
Beta2 with chrome from alpha4.
I mean alpha4 with chrome from Beta2 smiling smiley

km2,

Think of 1.6.4 alpha with chrome from 1.6 beta 2 as exploratory by those who like to play with the browser. Officially, beta 2 is the latest.

Now that it is June, the developers have time to work on a newer beta and perhaps a gold release. I would expect that all the reports made here will be incorporated into that version.

N

Date: June 11, 2011 08:05PM

Ok, I understand.. Thanks ndebord.

How changes about:config settings in comparison to 1.54 version..
Maybe new added or deleted something.. Or where read about that...

Date: June 12, 2011 05:22AM

km2
Ok, I understand.. Thanks ndebord.

How changes about:config settings in comparison to 1.54 version..
Maybe new added or deleted something.. Or where read about that...

km2,

Others here are far better than I on that. Siria, for one.. but there are others.

<weak grin>

N

Posted by: adXok
Date: November 06, 2011 04:04PM

Guys,
what is happening with my beloved browser K-meleon. Is it still developed? Who does the job? Please, give us some clue?

I find it very light and fast on resources that is not to be said to its competitors like Firefox, Chrome or Opera.

I just want to see an updated web site with extensions section, download section and os on, simple but useful. I am not a programmer myself so I cannot contrubute to the development process. Maybe with some translation to my language if needed.

K-meleon is still the best tool for me to connect to the world of information out there! Be well!

Date: November 06, 2011 10:38PM

adXok
Guys,
what is happening with my beloved browser K-meleon. Is it still developed? Who does the job? Please, give us some clue?

adXok,

There are 2 main developers, one of whom says work will start up again this Winter. There is a 3rd guy who is working on a beta 3 for KM 1.6. And then there is Fred's homebrew which is a combination of the K-Meleon 1.7alpha engine with parts from various older K-Meleons. Works well enough, with some issues.

I have no direct contact with the developers, so no guarantees.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 03:05PM by ndebord.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 23, 2011 01:16PM

K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.3

Available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot3_en-US.7z

Change list

1) Includes spell checking and word suggestions
2) Revised troubleshooting for spelling and bug fixes
3) Add option for BuildID use and to use some Javascript items
with capability policy preferences. Items like “Send page as
a link” will now work if the default capability policy for
Javascript is “NoAccess”. Pages in a policy list which
denies Javascript still will not work.
4) Add option to “Reset Zoom” for pages where the zooming was
done with zoom.kmm. Reset of zooming by mousewheel is still
not possible.

Method used

Begin with the official KM 1.6.0 beta2 7zip file. Extract to a test folder.
Use Syncback to update the test folder with the new Gecko engine. (1.9.1.20)
Add the spelltest.dll file to the kplugins folder.
Add the spelltest.kmm file to the macros folder.
Replace embed.jar file in chrome folder with updated file.
Replace troubleshooting.kmm with updated file.
Replace main.kmm with updated file.
Replace zoom.kmm with updated file.
Edit the readme.html file to change beta2 to beta 2.3.
Verify that compreg.dat and xpti.dat do not exist in components.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot3_en-US.7z

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: kingsparrow
Date: November 25, 2011 12:35PM

thanks James, so far so good........................

Date: November 25, 2011 01:05PM

Thanks, James.

Posted by: sliderule
Date: November 25, 2011 11:47PM

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you.

I too, have been using K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.3 and so far, it is flawless.

I appreciate the efforts, and can only add, please keep up the great works.

Sliderule

Date: December 03, 2011 04:41PM

K-Meleon 1.6.0 beta 2.4

Available here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

Change list

Beta 2.4

1) Re-compiled privacy.dll file has function 'ClearHistory' working
from all menu locations. No change to C++ code was needed. Guenter
did a new compile.
2) Spell checking is better integrated in the accelerators and menus.
No longer need spelltest.kmm file. We have the source code and that
code says it is in the public domain.

Beta 2.3

1) Includes spell checking and word suggestions
2) Revised troubleshooting for spelling and bug fixes
3) Add option for BuildID use and to use some Javascript items
with capability policy preferences. Items like “Send page as
a link” will now work if the default capability policy for
Javascript is “NoAccess”. Pages in a policy list which
denies Javascript still will not work.
4) Add option to “Reset Zoom” for pages where the zooming was
done with zoom.kmm. Reset of zooming by mousewheel is still
not possible.

Method used

Begin with the official KM 1.6.0 beta2 7zip file. Extract to a test folder.
Use Syncback to update the test folder with the new Gecko engine. (1.9.1.20)
Add the spelltest.dll file to the kplugins folder.
Replace embed.jar file in chrome folder with updated file.
Replace troubleshooting.kmm with updated file.
Replace main.kmm with updated file.
Replace zoom.kmm with updated file.
Made updates to menus.cfg and accel.cfg
Edit the readme.html file to change beta2 to beta 2.4.
Verify that compreg.dat and xpti.dat do not exist in components.
Used 7Zip to create the new archive file. K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Date: December 03, 2011 07:14PM

JamesD

Re-compiled privacy.dll file has function 'ClearHistory' working
from all menu locations. No change to C++ code was needed. Guenter
did a new compile.

Most important update at moment.. Thanks, guys!

Date: December 03, 2011 10:27PM

JamesD
2) Spell checking is better integrated in the accelerators and menus.
No longer need spelltest.kmm file. We have the source code and that
code says it is in the public domain.

And after that, is happening what I expected after read it. If you use your own menus, doesn't work as expected. Indeed, the option is not created in the menus.

And, I didn't test with accels, but, what about if someone is already using CTRL+Q for other tasks?

Are both options configurable?, how and where smiling smiley

EDIT 1: Nice job, JamesD, I just passed from my series use of 1.6b2 to you 1.6b2.4 and I'm loving that, at the moment, accels work great and also, that is very important for me, you can middle click to scroll a page and works at the first click (well, unless you click over text, looks not as worst as 1.6b2). Love it. You don't know how I thank it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 11:12PM by JohnHell.

Date: December 04, 2011 12:41AM

JohnHell
And after that, is happening what I expected after read it. If you use your own menus, doesn't work as expected. Indeed, the option is not created in the menus.

Seems to take doing it twice to get all menus to show. I don't know why.
This is no change from 2.3 version. I just tried it in this post.

I will go hunt up the menu code and post it soon.

I just used the same accel keys that were in spelltest.kmm. I will try to post that code also.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 01:06AM

The code that I use for Spell is located in these items.

menus.cfg

Spelltest{
Spell=macros(Spelltest_mouse)
}

and

# ----- Text

TextPopup{
!EditHistory
-
&Paste=ID_EDIT_PASTE
!Select
!Spelltest
bmpmenu()
}

accel.cfg

# Spelltest
CTRL Q = macros(Spelltest_word)

main.kmm

# special add for spelltest
Spelltest_mouse{
id("spelltest(mouse)");
}
Spelltest_word{
id("spelltest(word)");
}

I don't know if this is the best way, but it does seem to work. If anyone has suggestions, please voice them.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 02:47AM

I get now what have you done, and probably I'm the only one who does it, but the first thing after install any version is to rename "defaults\settings\accel.cfg" to use my own in my profile and I change "defaults\settings\menus.cfg" removing all context menu reference to create my own context menus through menus.cfg in my profile.

In other words. When you invoke to create a menu through spelltest.kmm you are saying that you are building the menu in the standard (it can't be other) context menu TextPopup. All users have that menu declaration.

And with accel.cfg, I don't know what happens, if there are collisions between default file or profile folder (it's not my case), what prevails?

With this configurable browser is not good to make assumptions smiling smiley is what I tried to say smiling smiley

My fix was easy, use spelltest.kmm, but, you know...

I think it's better to have it separated smiling smiley

Date: December 04, 2011 03:11AM

I see your problem. As you said you can simply use the spelltest.kmm file from 2.3 and still use your own menus, etc. By the way, the CTRL Q is also in the kmm file.

My idea was to get rid of (user defined) macros since the spell stuff was now coming with KM instead of needing the extension. I have not figured out how to get the spelltest.dll to load silently.

JamesD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 03:12AM by JamesD.

Date: December 04, 2011 02:43PM

JamesD
My idea was to get rid of (user defined) macros since the spell stuff was now coming with KM instead of needing the extension. I have not figured out how to get the spelltest.dll to load silently.

That is what I understood when I read the update, but instead include it inside K-meleon code, inside the plugin. That is why I quickly test it. If you include the menu creation and accels in the dll or inside KM, without macro helpers, you need to have in count what I told: the custom environments.

How to load silently? I have no idea. That is beyond my knowledge confused smiley probably when you include it in the KM code could be done :-?

Now, as a workaround, you can add a line in the "defaults\profile\prefs.js" like:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.spelltest.load", true);

With that pref created I think doesn't warn about a newly found spelltest.dll. Is my guess. I haven't tested it. If an user overwrites the default prefs.js when migrating his/her profile, it is not useful but...

P.S.: maybe these last couple of messages should be in the Development forum thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2011 02:46PM by JohnHell.

Date: December 04, 2011 07:43PM

Oops, I am sorry. The KM 1.6.0 beta 2.3 and beta 2.4 were not correct.

The gecko engine was not updated. This has now been corrected and the corrected beta 2.4 is at: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot4_en-US.7z

If you got a 2.4 prior to the time of this posting, yours is incorrect.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I did not reload a 2.3 version as 2.4 has superseded it.

JamesD

Date: December 04, 2011 07:47PM

JohnHell
How to load silently? I have no idea. That is beyond my knowledge confused smiley probably when you include it in the KM code could be done :-?

Now, as a workaround, you can add a line in the "defaults\profile\prefs.js" like:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.spelltest.load", true);

I know where the original of that is located. I will try it, but I think is actually has a different use. I think it is for the "%ifplugin [name] {}%endif" items in the menus, etc.

JamesD

Pages: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.