General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to run 2 versions?
Posted by: Mister M
Date: September 23, 2010 06:21AM

Hi. I have 1.5.4 as default install.

I would like to try 1.6 but I have not been able to find any documentation how to run it from a manual install. When I try to run the .exe in 1.6 I get an error and the program won't start.

Can anyone point me to any documentation describing how to get 1.6 to run with my 1.5.4 configurations?

Sorry to be a bother. Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 06:39AM by Mister M.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to run 2 versions?
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: September 23, 2010 08:31AM

... yes, the two KM versions seem to have to be kept seperate ... this is what I did for now while I still test the KM v1.6 preBeta version. In my Program Files folder v1.5.4 is labeled "K-Meleon" (folder) and v1.6 is labeled "K-Meleon preBeta" (folder) ... The KM v1.6 preBeta link that siria provided had the KM preBeta folder ready to go after it was opened or unzipped, so I just copied the v1.6 preBeta to the Program Files folder. Before putting a new KM v1.6 icon on the desktop, I changed the v1.5.4 icon (desktop) to K-Meleon1 and v1.6 is K-Meleon2 ... then I went into Preferences of the KM version you want to use and made that version the "Default Browser" ... box in upper right corner. Both versions have to be kept separate till you decide one day to delete one of them. That's what I did, maybe there's another more simple way to do all this, I don't know. You could also take v1.5.4 and move it into another folder to save ... "KM v1.5.4 - save" ... get the KM v1.5.4 out of the Program Files folder temporarily and just have only the KM v1.6 in the Programs Folder. I did that also and I deleted the the KM v1.5.4 desktop icon. That way there would be no way for the two versions to come together. It's tricky, having two versions, one has to be shutdown, sort of ... then if you want to go back to v1.5.4, you have to deactivate v1.6 ... unless someone knows another way to keep them from "mixing".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 08:35AM by duffy2009.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 23, 2010 10:23AM

There's a commandline option to run 2 instances independently at the same time, as noted in Help>FAQ:
Add -new to the shortcut icon target. Right-click the KM icon and set target to
....k-meleon.exe" -new
Just make sure that you don't use the same profile folder while doing this.
For running only 1 instance at the same time the profiles can be shared, as long as there is no incompatible setting in it. So far I know That KM1.5 and KM1.6 have different prefs for "tabs at bottom", so this one can not be shared.
But it's always possible to simply copy the files from one profile folder into another, and then manually delete just this tab "bottom" or tab "position" line in prefs.js

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 10:27AM by siria.

Posted by: dr who
Date: September 23, 2010 06:22PM

Mister M
I would like to try 1.6 but I have not been able to find any documentation how to run it from a manual install.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/CommandLineOptions command line options

Date: September 23, 2010 07:33PM

By the way, which windows version do you have?

And did you try the newest development version, by desga?
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,109196,110032#msg-110032
desga2
Download preBeta (alias cp4) {Mirror}

Please use a fresh installation, not update previous cp versions.

Mister M
I would like to try 1.6 but I have not been able to find any documentation how to run it from a manual install.

The zipped cp4 is a portable version, that means to run it simply unzip it somewhere into a new folder, and run it as it is. As all programs work, either by double-clicking the k-meleon.exe, or by creating a shortcut icon somewhere, on the desktop or in the quickstart area etc., and then double-clicking that one.
This cp4 version also contains the profiles inside the K-Meleon program folder, so they are independant from profiles of other versions.
Attention, you need to allow yourself writing rights in the profile folder (and certain optional macros also need rights in the KM program folder). By the way programs don't necessarily all have to be placed in c:/programs, most can just as well be anywhere else, for example in "My documents" or another partition ("d:"), where writings rights usually are less restricted than in c:/programs. But I'm no expert for this complicated rights stuff, personally am still very happy win98 user without any restrictions tongue sticking out smiley

Mister M
When I try to run the .exe in 1.6 I get an error and the program won't start.

More information needed, but with a bit luck the cp4-version runs better?

Mister M
Can anyone point me to any documentation describing how to get 1.6 to run with my 1.5.4 configurations?

Open KM154, make sure the tabs are NOT at the bottom, then click
Edit > Configuration > Profile directory (or if you know where, simply open it in your file explorer)
Copy all those files (right-click > copy)
CLOSE KM154, and also the loader if use.
Open KM1.6.
Same procedure as above, open the NEW profile directory, copy your previous files into it (overwrite), and restart.

Not all things can be copied over, like cookie permissions and such.
And things like manually downloaded skins (in skins folder) and macros (those in the KM root macros folder) usually aren't in the profile folder, so copy them manually via file explorer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 07:37PM by siria.

Date: September 23, 2010 09:29PM

Ok. First, thanks to all of you for your posts.

OS; XPproSP2

The 1.6 version I was trying to run was 1.6.0a4. I simply unpacked it and tried to run the exe, but no go. I also tried importing the profiles folder - no go either.

Re: Command Lines. Yes, I see the documentation but it really wouldn't have helped me. I would still have needed further assistance.

I will try the cp4 version and see if I can successfully run it.

Thanks for all the links and the help - much appreciated smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2010 09:47PM

Is the error message something with runtime, or what does it say...?

Am suspecting those infamous msvc...dll's (vcredist) of course.
Had forgotten, but now there's something dawning on me, dimly, very dim.... just can't remember for sure anymore, how it worked on my system, but possibly they need to be "installed"??

Please tell if cp4 works, and if not, if it does after "installing" that vcredist thing from microsoft???
Link is here, in the middle of page, VS2005:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 09:48PM by siria.

Date: September 24, 2010 02:05AM

Well I still have the same problem with 1.6cp4 and 1.6.0a4.

I unpack both archives, then run the exe and get the following message with both:

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 02:06AM by Mister M.

Posted by: Tommy
Date: October 09, 2010 10:30PM

I have the same problem as the above poster. I get this error message on some machines and others I don't.

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Does anybody know a fix to this? I have K-meleon 1.5.4 installed and I get the error message when trying to run version 1.6a4

Thanks for your time.

Date: October 10, 2010 08:46AM

Have you tried the latest development version by desga, called preBeta or cp4, link in my post above? Please try only this newest version, the other one called "a4" is long since outdated and has lots more bugs!

And if 1.6 works on some of your machines and on others not, I'm ready to bet it's just those infamous Microsoft msvc...dll's missing again. They are included with lots of other programs, like NET framework or how that's called, and they say that comes already installed by default with XP, but somehow it still seems to vanish sometimes, perhaps when uninstalling something. And so KM1.6 and many other programs seem to work on some machines (which have those dll's already installed) and on others there's only an error.

Anyway, the link for that Microsoft VS2005 vcredist thing is on the the middle of this page:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16
Explanation is found in the linked page.

Posted by: Tommy
Date: October 12, 2010 12:48AM

Thanks siria for your help. It was the missing Microsoft .dll files. I will try the other version you mentioned.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by: Diego
Date: November 17, 2010 02:06PM

Here I solved this problem installing Microsoft MSN messenger!
It will update the system, and make it works!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.