General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Google Instant on K-meleon
Posted by: machinesmith
Date: September 11, 2010 04:56PM

Hi all,

Long time lurker and user of K-meleon here, decided to finally break the silence since google was showing no love to my browser of choice (and Opera too!) I know this is pretty simple so don't laugh (too much)!

As the title suggests I wanted to try out Google Instant but it's only optimized for the most un-optimized browsers out there (i.e. Firefox, Chrome, IE8(?!))! With a little searching I came across this tidbit and sure enough making it work in K-meleon was a snap!

Heres what you need to do:
1) Goto tool --> User Agent -->Custom
2) Copy paste this string:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3
Aaand you're Done!

For those who're wondering that string makes K-meleon tell websites and other such browser-ready places that its Firefox ver 3.6.3 running on Windows XP.

If you'd like to use another string more suitable to your OS go here:http://www.zytrax.com/tech/web/firefox-history.html

For me, being on a Pentium 3 is the best I can get - and K-meleon is a Godsend! I hope this works out for all of you, Let me know how it goes, Take care!

P.S I know this place has some great coders/scripters, Just thought I'd mention that Google Instant runs faster on Firefox (and yes I understand its optimized for it) but is there a way to speed it up on k-meleon too? Its not unbearable - just wondering is all. Thanks!

--
sys specs for KM reporting: PIII-1GHZ, 1GB RAM, WinXPsp2, KM17a2 & KM 1.5.4

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Google Instant on K-meleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 13, 2010 08:20PM

Thx for volunteering this info!

p.s. Have You already tried Google Instant with the K-Meleon 1.6 betas.
There are several testing samples around.

It has an opimized JavaScript engine like Firefox 3.x (but it is conserving resources more than ff) and used to be pretty fast on my Pentium III 500, when I last used my old machine - it might be worth trying on Your machine too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2010 08:22PM by guenter.

Re: Google Instant on K-meleon
Posted by: machinesmith
Date: September 23, 2010 01:29PM

Hey Guenter!

Thanks for the tip! I actually had a copy of k-meleon 1.6a4 from 2 months ago but it wasn't working for me, on a whim and after reading you post, I tried it and sure enough it Automagically worked! (Personally that bugs me, I like to know WHAT caused it to work but honestly I have no clue). So thanks to you, K-meleon 1.6 runs, and How!

On a topically related note - I was trying out Live SkyDrive which has the worst interface in cloud storage history, I tried apps (gladinet/sdexplorer), and then tried different browsers. All of the browsers save for ie6 gave me that stupid `upload files one by one' interface (yes it goes up to 5 files - still though, its stupid.) When it was ie6's turn I installed Silverlight since I would be given the option to drag and drop, it worked as expected.

Here's the fun part, In K-meleon 1.6a4 I put in yet another User Agent ID - this time to fool sites into thinking It was IE6 + WinXP. Lo and behold! Not only did Silverlight load up properly...it actually was Faster when uploading than ie6+silverlight!

here's are pics for comparison:

IE6: http://i53.tinypic.com/kbcf8o.png
K-meleon 1.6a4: http://i53.tinypic.com/b5ftvp.png

FYI: my max upload speeds is 128kbps (16 KiB/s)

I'm sure it was unfair of me to compare ie6 with K-meleon1.6 BUT I would bring about the fact that Silverlight was Meant to work with ie6 and its relatives. MS even mentioend ie6 amongst the recommended browsers to use he Drag and drop tool with. Thanks to KM1.6a4 I was able to save half an hour on upload time than if I was using ie6

Just so you know when trying with KM 1.5.4 I got a plugin crash message and the just a blank page with a continue button opens up.

Has anyone else tried out and discovered what they could pull off just thanks to the user agent ID alone?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.