General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
How to disable Windows Media Player plug-in?
Posted by: vincent
Date: September 09, 2010 02:35AM

The damn Windows Media Player plugin is listed under about:plugins page (Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
File name: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\npdsplay.dll) and it caused K-meleon to crash from time to time.
Can someone please tell me how the hell K-meleon managed to find the plugin dll? I can't find anything in the registry

I want to remove the Adobe PDF plugin as well.

Thanks a lot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to disable Windows Media Player plug-in?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: September 09, 2010 07:26AM

it's read from registry but not entirely sure about the path..could be from netscape viewers/plugins which could happen if you have remnant reg key from an old netscape installation or firefox even.. the pdf is also read from the registry.

for plugins that are read from the registry, there's no straightforward way to disable them for a specific browser without disabling them globally for all other browsers which is not usually desired..you can either remove their registry keys or rename their plugin libraries so they reg key points to nothing

a better way is to use the plugin chooser extension which will enable disabling specific plugins to kmeleon only while keeping them functional for other browsers.
np chooser can be downloaded under plugins manager at this page:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext5.htm

i'd delete the pdf plugin altogether though because it's more trouble than it's worth
it's normal path is:
c:\\programm files\adobe\acrobat[version]\browser\nppdf32.dll

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 09, 2010 09:53AM

No plugins for pdf and media files. :s

You will probably want K-Meleon to handle pdf and media files in future anyway?:drool:

Go about: config write "path" to the Filter.

That will show You "plugin.expose_full_path".
Toggle the value to true and open about: plugins.
That will give/show You the full path to plugins on Your system.

Now. The plugin that is in ./program files/K-Meleon/plugins folder gets precedence when 2 plugins can handle the same content/MimeType. Installl and put a plugin into plugins that handles what Adobe and Media player plugin do handle. AFAIK that should solve problems - if they come from the plugins smiling smiley

Or install new plugins to handle the content and delete the two that are surplus.

The Registry strings that makes K-Meleon use Windows Media Player plugin are added by K-Meleon's set default / install procedure.

IMHO You have to search the second of the two and alter it.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\ShimInclusionList[b]K-Meleon.exe[/b]]

BTW. Do not ask me how grinning smiley I only know that we used to manually apply the 2 keys before the installer did it tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2010 10:09AM by guenter.

Posted by: Doon
Date: September 10, 2010 09:47AM

I had a similar desire to disable all plugins many months ago, now when I look at about:plugins all I see is "No plug-ins are installed". The media player one was very annoying and required a trick to get rid of it.

The key is here: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Plugin_scanning

All details are in the "Disabling the plugin scan" section.
Similar advice can be found in this forum with a search for "plugin.scan".

How to:
Click Edit --> Configuration --> Browser Configuration.
Type plugin.scan in the filter box.
Double-click plugin.scan.WindowsMediaPlayer and set it's value to something very high, like 50.
Using similarly high values for each of the plugins you see there should disable them also.

Optionally, you could double-click plugin.scan.plid.all to set it to false, which should kill most of them, but not the Media Player one if remember correctly.

In addition to the above I zipped all of the dlls in the KM plugins folder and then deleted the dlls, if I want one back I just unzip it so KM can detect it.

Bear in mind that my advice here is meant to cover the killing of all plugins, but using the version number trick should kill them off one by one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 09:51AM by Doon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: September 10, 2010 08:11PM

@Doon, cool find/trick! Thx!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2010 08:36PM by guenter.

Posted by: vincent
Date: September 11, 2010 05:12PM

Thanks a lot Doon!!! You the man!!!
grinning smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.