General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Macromedia Won't Leave
Posted by: Carson
Date: October 28, 2004 07:22PM

I posted "I forget how to kill these ads" a few days ago. My CSS files seemed to have everything suggested in them already, so I decided to get rid of Macromedia.

I downloaded a Macromedia Uninstaller, and used it.

I searched for all "macromed" and "macromedia" entries, and got rid of all of them.

As I did all this, I used RegSeeker AND RegScrub, about 5 times. And every time I also did a Cleanmgr /sagerun. I did about 5 restarts of the computer.

According to every search, there was no trace of Macromedia left on any partition on the computer.

When I went back to the site called "nacion" on my former posting, and tried it again, there was maybe a 10-second delay showing the ads. Then they were back again, and so was Macromedia back in my Docs & Settings\Applications files.

Does anyone know a totally absolutely final way to kill Macromedia, once and for all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Macromedia Won't Leave
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 28, 2004 07:47PM

npswf32.dll is the name of the file You look for.

in Your profiles folder is a file called pluginreg.dat
the absolute path to all found plugins is stored there.
follow the path to origin - where it shows ; o )

another file with nice infos is all.js that is either in defaults folder
(there are two default folders - i meaan that where instalation comes from not that in profiles) or in greprefs depending on k-m version.

a nice way to kill // and still have it - You have a wechselbalg? take mimetypes editor and take assosiation away from program flash - i understand that You took away OS assisiations already but we have that well feeded mimeTypes.rdf in profile - and as long as k-m finds plugin that file tells him what to do. (so alter it)

do not forget to make backup of the file mimeTypes.rdf first
(in case You find a nice flash movie of a birdy that You want to look)
regards to beautiful BC

Date: October 28, 2004 08:11PM

Thank you, Guenter, for your quick reply.

I have located it. I have never edited this kind of code before. Please tell me if this is exactly what I should delete:

1071775628000|1|13|$
Shockwave Flash 7.0 r19|$
Shockwave Flash|$
0|application/x-shockwave-flash|Macromedia Flash movie|swf|$

-- I need to be sure I am deleting it ALL, but I also need to be sure I am NOT deleting TOO MUCH!

-- Would it disable it if I inserted
#
#
before each line, or does that not work here?

Thanks, from wet, rainy BC ! :-)

Date: October 28, 2004 08:14PM

P.S. -- In total, I have found 8 ( ! ) "pluginreg.dat" files, because I have a total of 8 K-Meleons!

I have Sebastian's Wechselbalg. I also have both fast Sjonny's 1.7.4 and Sebastion's new one.

And I have the Official 0.9b betas.

:-)

Date: October 28, 2004 08:36PM

... I opened Sebastian's 0.8.2+ Wechselbalg's mimetypes.rdf in NoteTab, and I did a search (via NoteTab) for

flash
macromed
macromedia

but I found nothing.

Date: October 28, 2004 10:03PM

Carson - good that You have more than one - me too : o )
now i would make one that can and one that can not do it.

what extension and code You say sounds good here - application/x-shockwave-flash
delete it from rdf file tht will be used.

the mimetypes.rdf file You edit away the flash extension in a Wechselbalg and then copy the edited file from there to that browser that is supposed to loose this capability.(probably the one You use most?) Means You use a Wechselbalg mtypes editor for it. They have the editor macro that calls that xul under edit menus normally.

pluginreg.dat is a regenerating file >> no use editing - You used it to search relevant plugin folder where flash is in case You want to know where it is.
You could also alter extension of flash dll from dll to make plugin unusable.

early answer - late one - he he - almost midnight here
regards

Date: October 29, 2004 04:00AM

forgot something as usual - with giving the specific k-m that is not to know flash anymore its own set of plugins into the own plugin directory (they are alway found and have precedance over others) and limiting (hampering)
plugin finding somewhat with info from all.js such as below, You can also try and experiment with other combinations of plugin control that could be to Your liking.

E. g. i have put beatnik oder ns music player into k-m folder - so that that is used for embeded midi and not Quicktime (which eats about 20 mb of my RAM just to play a midi song).
regards

p.s.
// Locate plugins by the directories specified in the Windows registry for PLIDs
// Which is currently HKLM\Software\MozillaPlugins\xxxPLIDxxx\Path
pref("plugin.scan.plid.all", true);

Date: October 29, 2004 02:19PM

Okay, I understand not to edit pluginreg.dat.

I have not made any progress so far. I am still looking for a file (or files) which I can delete or disable. It is OK if I disable ALL Macromedia files--I don't want Macromedia on my computer.

Will keep trying. Thanks for your help. :-)

Date: October 29, 2004 02:37PM

pluginreg.dat will show You the paths. that is why i mentioned it.
Opera, Netscape 7and Netscaape 4x tend to have/bring the plugin.
also possibly windows install.
also check software in system.
also program files common files
(names vary i tried to use English name / but here they are differnt)

pluginreg.dat is rebuild with every start.
info about prefs pertaining to plugins is in all.js

i wish You all success

Posted by: marc0v
Date: October 30, 2004 12:05AM

Hi Carson.
post your HijackThis log here, maybe we can help.
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
I wouldnt put my trust in S&D and adaware.

Date: October 30, 2004 11:18AM

Carson,
had time, downloaded Macromedia flashplayer7installer.exe and installed on a fairly new installed xp system.

so: the install will recognize all Necape plugin using browsers (here it did) such as FF
beonex...except k-m and install the following files into all plugin directories:
GetFlash.exe, GetFlash.exe.manifest, NPSWF32.dll

additionally it offers to choose additional browsers. so check all browser directories.
(best with search function ), shift them all into single location and maybe zip them - in case You ever need them again.

i also checked the tool mentined above (to me it is a very interesting and good tool!)
- but it did not recogize the plugins here - IMHO sinze flash movies and player are a slow downloading proctalgic but no malware.
regards

Date: October 30, 2004 04:39PM

Thanks, marc0v and Guenter. I'll be following your suggestions later this weekend and at the beginning of the week. Marc, you really don't trust these "stock" programs? I'd like to hear more. I understand your point of view, and I'll follow your link. Thanks.

All I've heard so far is that Ad Aware doesn't like Spybot. Spybot is more tolerant of Ad-Aware. I don't mean the programs--I mean the people who make them.

Plus there is always the concern that any program that has access to your whole system could also do anything it wishes with the info. Such as sSandra or the Belarc Advisor or AntiVir Personal. They all get to explore everything you have.

I read recently that Windows >Search sends back all the info about your search to Microsoft. At the moment I've found "Agent Ransack", which seems to be much faster and better.

I've also seen some beautiful Defrag programs, much better than Windows', but so far not for free.

Thanks, guys. :-)

Date: October 30, 2004 05:03PM

...I should add that one thing I've done, for a long time, is to use RegSeeker and RegScrub very often--usually every day. Especially after I've taken off programs, or if I've attempted to remove a stubborn program. My idea has been to "cripple" something I don't like, after which its broken registry links will be picked up by RegSeeker. It seems to work. I got the idea when I knew less about getting rid of unwanted programs, and I used to hack away at them. Not a good way to do it! :-) --But, if the registry was cleaned right after that, the remnants of the program would usually be taken away too, because they would show up as broken.

Date: October 30, 2004 05:32PM

Agent Ransack (search) is at http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/pageloader.aspx?page=download

Thanks for the Hijack This URL, Marc!

Posted by: marc0v
Date: October 30, 2004 07:20PM

Hi Carson.
Read the label, "for advanced users".
Its a powerful tool, so be careful. invest some time in learning before you do changes. But if you mastered it, you will not need any "anti", hogging your system down and causing problems.
S&D and AA are low of the lows of "anti" crowd which relay an the signature file, which in turn is lowest form of protection. Theres so many misses, (the latest talk is, they are intentional, think patriot act), not to mention vulnerability to zero day attack.
HH relay on nothing, it gives you a snapshot of your system, the rest is up to you. If you know what to do, youre safe, if not... its up to your imagination. For professionally paranoid imagination will be very quick.
The same goes for software firewalls(I assume you cant afford hardware FW). Its pure snake oil. The same inbound protection can be achieved by closing unnecessary ports, outbound protection - by monitoring all running processes. As always theres in an exemption. If you want to spy on your beloved windoze, as I do, you need a FW or a packet sniffer. But not a FW which low lives at zonelab feeding to masses, lining up theirs packets on the way(I heard you were taken too). You need a rules based FW, the best is Kerio 2.1.5, its hard to find but it should be out there. You will be amazed, when you click on the link to this forum, where KM wants to go. Again, only for advanced users.

About regcleaners, defrag, search - maybe later.

Date: October 31, 2004 01:33AM

Thanks, Marc--I'll be doing my homework. :-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.