General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
hotmail
Posted by: David123
Date: July 24, 2010 10:48AM

I can log into hotmail, but the appearance of the page is all wrong. if i log in with IE or Firefox everything appears fine. How do i correct? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hotmail
Posted by: desga2
Date: July 24, 2010 11:57AM

What is wrong for you in hotmail?
Can you post some screen capture?

Hotmail work and showed fine to me in K-Meleon 1.5.4.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: July 26, 2010 09:00PM

OK, you are right, Hotmail is officially updated to Windows Live platform and not work fine with old browsers engines.
You can try K-Meleon 1.6a4 or I like SRWare Iron 5 portable if you search a good WebKit browser different to usual Firefox 3 and IE 8.

Or you can try to read this thread about it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 09:06PM by desga2.

Posted by: slayer
Date: July 27, 2010 12:30AM

Mine looks and works as always, that is without problems. Is a @hotmail.com account. :O

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 27, 2010 12:42AM

@desga2, I am not so sure about it - have You tested hotmail from inside?

IMHO it works. A setting?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 12:43AM by guenter.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 27, 2010 04:28PM

it's still working here as normal with default ua..maybe like slayer said could be on some domains like hotmail.es/live.es? or maybe they are testing something with new js engine and it isn't always injected

why not forget about webmail and use a client like outlook express or thunderbird or windows mail etc. email clients are more reliable than webmail and you get to keep your emails on your system instead of u.s servers under you-have-no-privacy-patriot-act

pop3/smtp settings for hotmail:

popaddress: pop3.live.com
smtp: smtp.live.com

ports:
smtp: 587 (ssl enabled)
pop: 995 (ssl enabled)

enable authentication for outgoing

Date: July 27, 2010 05:31PM

@disrupted,

so far we have reports only from an UK and from an US (East Coast) user.
desga2 too?

My account @live.de also works properly. I have sent desga2 my password so he can do tests with my account. If desga2 test there, we can perhaps find out what is going on. IF it does not work with ES account but works with DE account = it is Hotmail, else it might be a browser setting.

Hope he gets my mail.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2010 07:55PM by guenter.

Date: July 28, 2010 09:43PM

Hi, I send you some screenshots to guenter.
His @live.de count is showed good in K-Meleon 1.5.4 default settings with Seamonkey 2.0.5 user agent string, but my @hotmail.com count isn't showed good in K-Meleon but yes it's in SRWare Iron5 portable.

(Sorry by the big size of images)

- This is the screen capture of guenter's mail box in his @live.de mail count (pixelized for privacy):

- This is the screen capture of my mail box in my @hotmail.com mail count (pixelized for privacy):

Edited:

Sorry the problem is @hotmail.com with Seamonkey 2.0.5 user agent string because in it also is showed bad. KM with SRWare Iron5 user agent string showed good the hotmail mail box.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/5.0.381.0 Chrome/5.0.381 Safari/533.4

I don't know if Firefox 3.5 or 3.6 user agent strings have this problem.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2010 09:54PM by desga2.

Date: July 28, 2010 10:25PM

I can confirm now, my account really looks ugly, it's like a print page, with just the links. I was not able to see it before, probably was another server or something.
With user string that desga posted everything seems to work right. So it's another 'bad coded' web-site problem.
If we (all) post messages asking for this to be fixed, they could do it. MS has many forums, I'm not sure which one is the right one, I will do a search.

Posted by: k
Date: July 29, 2010 02:32PM

here's what's happening: hotmail thinks that k-meleon is a mobile device browser and is serving the mobile version of the page, which has limited functionality, only 10 messages per page, etc.

it has to be fixed either in k-meleon or on hotmail's servers... not fixable at the end-user level, except to stop using one of the products.

personally, i know that hotmail sucks, but i have had the email address since 1996 and i enjoy the benefits of having a consistent address.

any input from admins?

Date: July 29, 2010 07:57PM

k
it has to be fixed either in k-meleon or on hotmail's servers... not fixable at the end-user level, except to stop using one of the products.

any input from admins?

How can kmeleon.org fix a faulty browser switch at some hotmail servers? :O
I use a string known to hotmail: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

I do not think that any of us gets contact to hotmail admins (as aloof as yahoo admins IMHO).

Posted by: siria
Date: July 29, 2010 08:06PM

k

I think you're mistaken here... If I'm reading the other guys right, you can very well "fix" it yourself, by the usual "User Agent" workaround: That just fakes the browser name which you give to that faulty server switch ;-P
That faking is needed occasionally on such sites, the only prob is that different sites handle each browser differently, so the art is to find a string they like. Usually Firefox agent is fine, but this one here seems a little pickier...

Date: July 29, 2010 08:58PM

Seems this happend since a lot of time ago:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=729935
http://forums-test.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=752485
http://toastytech.com/good/badsitelist.html

I detected the Hotmail problem with the user agent string, is the Mozilla word.
This UA also work:
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.x) Gecko/20100504 K-Meleon/1.5.4 is only a Gecko browser based in Seamonkey, NOT Firefox.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2010 09:10PM by desga2.

Date: July 29, 2010 08:59PM

Yeah, but if we find the right MS forum to post this problem, I think they could fix it quickly. The problem is, there are so many official Microsoft forums, I don't know which one is the Hotmail-Live related one.
It would be easier to them add KM in their LIVE sniffer, instead of trying to disguise each KM browser in the world just to use hotmail.

Date: July 29, 2010 09:07PM

You are right desga, with this user agent I get no problems at all:
(Windows; U; Win98; es-ES; rv:1.8.1.24pre) Gecko/20100228 K-Meleon/1.5.4

Posted by: k
Date: August 02, 2010 03:56AM

guenter
k

any input from admins?

How can kmeleon.org fix a faulty browser switch at some hotmail servers? :O
I use a string known to hotmail: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

I do not think that any of us gets contact to hotmail admins (as aloof as yahoo admins IMHO).

what i said was definitely open to misinterpretation. i meant that an end user cannot change the settings IN HOTMAIL (via "options or whatever,) but only in k-meleon or by hotmail admins.

i just didn't know to call it changing the "user agent" settings in k-meleon cuz i have never had to do it before, though i knew that it can be modified for exactly this kind of thing. i'm a new k-meleon user and pretty much still a novice!

Posted by: john
Date: August 02, 2010 05:11PM

If you want no problem in browsing experience do the following:
Download K-Meleon 1.6.0a4

And set the useragent string to:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1) Gecko/20090624 Firefox/3.5

I have experienced ZERO PROBLEMS, I use hotmail, google maps, youtube,pogo.com for java games, engadget, tgdaily, anandtech, xbitlabs, gamespot, etc

I consider K-Meleon 1.6.0a4 to be as good as a final release when used with the above useragent string.

Date: August 02, 2010 08:47PM

at k,

go to about:config.

Type agent into the filter and edit the string to what john posted.

Date: August 02, 2010 11:43PM

Wasn't the Mozilla word? Because I'm browsing without it and everything works fine.
Check you user-agent here:http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 03, 2010 02:24AM

Both work.

Posted by: Gastón
Date: August 03, 2010 12:08PM

Hi guys! I've changed the user strings on the "about:config", but Hotmail still opens like in a mobile device, and I'm using a PC.

Any ideas?

NOTE: I didn't update to the unstable release, I'm still using the last stable one.

Sorry for my english, Thanks!

Posted by: Gastón
Date: August 03, 2010 12:41PM

Hi Guys! I solved it! I deleted some old cookies and caché files... That's it!

; D

Thanks!

Date: August 05, 2010 07:10PM

this should help explain the reasons for latest changes
http://www.windowssecrets.com/2010/07/22/01-Windows-Live-shares-your-Messenger-contacts

if you're a facebook user; you probably should read this
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38463013/ns/technology_and_science/

"Facebook is the largest representative of human cyber-stupidity."
-desga (february, '10)

Date: August 08, 2010 04:44AM

now that their transition to the new mail is complete, all their hotmail domains redirect kmeleon to the mobile version.. here's how we're going to beat them using the hosts file

location of hosts file:
NT(xp, 200, vista, 7,.net): c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
9x(98,95): c:\windows\hosts

open hosts in notepad and append those lines at the end of the file:

65.54.165.169 login.live.com
65.54.165.169 mid.live.com
65.54.165.169 mobile.live.com
65.54.165.169 hotmail.com
65.54.165.169 hotmail.co.uk
65.54.165.169 hotmail.de
65.54.165.169 hotmail.es
65.54.165.169 hotmail.fr

this will prevent them from sending kmeleon to the mobile version and force a direct to their normal login page http://65.54.165.169/

after that; install updated agentswitcher:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/macros/agentswitcherplus.7z
access from: tools>user agent>auto switcher to toggle (enabled by default)

this version includes all known problematic domains, hotmail and myspace are configured to use the opera agent which works better than firefox 2.0 in hotmail. the firefox ua has some problems with compose and some social networking features crippled. the update include a wide domain check on both badlist1 and badlist2.. meaning only main domain needs to be added and the switcher will work with any subdomain like sw2133.sn23323.mail.live.com without the need to add the full address.

.. the lighter side of hotmail

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: August 08, 2010 02:45PM

disrupted

location of hosts file:
NT(xp, 200, vista, 7,.net): c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
9x(98,95): c:\windows\hosts

the filename of the hosts file for Win95/98/ME is HOSTS.SAM stored in the Windows folder, disrupted. Win9x users should edit the hosts.sam file and input the sites mentioned.

for NT-based users, the HOSTS file from the \system32\drivers\etc\ folder is read-only, so you will need to remove the read-only attribute first before modifying it.

already set KM1.6a4 UA string to Firefox 3.5.x and hotmail works as expected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 02:50PM by 4td8s.

Date: August 08, 2010 04:03PM

the hosts.sam isn't the actual hosts file used for mapping domains..it was provided on some systems as a sample or template..hence the *.sam extension
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)
http://accs-net.com/hosts/how_to_use_hosts.html
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/hosts.htm

i've never seen a hosts file set to read-only attribute on any system, windows, mac or linux, that would defy the whole idea of a hosts file..so normally the hosts is an accessible file unless you're a guest user or set to limited writes. some actually do advise to set it to read-only to prevent certain spywares or viruses from maliciously remapping some domains(like antivirus update sites) which is very daft in my opinion as a program which can already write to hosts can easily change the attribute any way it wants.

p.s. for km 1.6, there's no need to change the ua..it has full functionality with the default ua as their sniffer checks for gecko 1.9.x first before brand. however using a firefox 3.5/gecko 1.9.x on kmeleon 1.5/1.1 will cause several problems with hotmail as the mail js is not supported by gecko 1.8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2010 04:07PM by disrupted.

Date: August 08, 2010 09:06PM

I use this, HostsXpert: http://funkytoad.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=31

But I really expect MS will fix this redirecting issue.

Posted by: sevin0oo0
Date: August 12, 2010 02:46AM

Had the same graphics problem, but also w/ Seamonkey, IE8 worked normally. this is what I did to fix it.Some of this will be different w/KM, but it's a start, and in 2 PARTS

PART 1
Enter about:config in the location bar (where you enter URLs), and add a new preference named general.useragent.extra.seamonkey2. Do this by right clicking on any of the existing preference names already listed, then choose New | String. Enter the preference name, then set the value to Firefox/3.0. This will allow the SeaMonkey user agent string to update itself whenever you install a new version of the program.
note - I just used the above instructions and did NOT install a new version of seamonkey. I just kept what I had (now with the above changes made) and was able to type a reply to an email message, which is what I could not do before.
----------------
Here are the directions for fixing SeaMonkey 2.x so it can view MSN Live Hotmail after the July 2010 service upgrades with the SeaMonkey web browser :

PART 2
1. From your SeaMonkey web browser go to this link and install the user agent switching plugin :
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/59/
2.After installing the plugin you will need to restart your SeaMonkey.
Screen after installed : http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/installed/07/
3.You may need to restart your web browser twice and/or reboot your computer.
4. After installing the user agent plugin, switch to Internet Explorer 8 mode :
5. You may need to restart your web browser and/or reboot your computer.

NOW
* Go to the Tools menu
* Select Default User Agent
* Select Internet Explorer
* Click Internet Explorer 8 - tried IE7, no go
--------
Done, graphics corrected

Date: August 12, 2010 02:55AM

Mine works fine without the mozilla part. So don't know really.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 15, 2010 02:53PM

desga2,

Just signed up for Hotmail and can't log in.

https://login.live.com/ppsecure/post.srf?bk=1281883788

The operation timed out when attempting to contact login.live.com.

KM 1.5.4

N

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.