General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Maxthon style text drag to search mouse gesture
Posted by: timtak
Date: June 09, 2010 08:10AM

First of all please allow me to congratulate on whoever is behind this for a very fast light browser. I am really liking it so far.

I am coming from Maxthon Classic, a light tabbed IE browser, which I have to give up using because it only uses IE engine and my windows 2000 OS won't let me use newer versions of IE. I liked Maxthon because it is light, and because of a particular mouse gesture.

In Maxthon if you selected a piece of text and then drag it just a little, then the text is automatically sent to your search engine of choice. I use this 'drag-a-little-to-search' or flick-to-search mouse gesture all the time.

With K-Meleon I see that I can right click on some selected text and then choose search and then then choose an engine. This is a bit like recent version of IE which have a little arrow appear when you select some text, which allows one to select search from a menu. But selecting from a menu, or even two menus is relatively slow.

I would like to be able to search with a single mouse gesture.

And further, the drag-a-little (or flick?) a link to open in a new window is another Maxthon mouse gesture I used all the time.

Are these possible on K-Meleon?

I think that the Maxthon drag mouse gesture may be reffered to as "Super Drag." It does have its drawbacks in that one can not drag text about a text input window for instance. But I find I drag text in a conventional way far less than I want to search.

Tim
http://nihonbunka.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 09:30AM by timtak.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maxthon style text drag to search mouse gesture
Posted by: siria
Date: June 09, 2010 08:01PM

Hi Tim, welcome to our favorite browser, glad you like it too smiling smiley smiling smiley

timtak
In Maxthon if you selected a piece of text and then drag it just a little, then the text is automatically sent to your search engine of choice.

There's no "flicker" that I know of, but perhaps a "normal" mouse gesture suffices too...?
Tools > Mouse Gestures > Manage actions > add
command: ID_NAV_SEARCH
Name whatever
Then click "configure mouse gestures" and choose one

Frankly I just peeked into my toolbars.cfg for the command behind the globe icon, but there's also a huge list of native commands and other helpful stuff:
http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html

timtak
And further, the drag-a-little (or flick?) a link to open in a new window is another Maxthon mouse gesture I used all the time.

You could put that on another gesture, but it's really easier to just middle-click IMHO smiling smiley
Click Help > FAQ and just start typing "mouse accelerators" to find a table of the possible settings. Then again, perhaps you also have already the "open in background tab" on the middle-click? There are combinations available with Shift-key etc., but if you wanna try that on a normal mouse gesture too, use this command, it's actually already contained in the default list:
ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_TAB
ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_NEW_WINDOW
Oh, almost forgot, don't forget to ENABLE the mouse gestures first, guess by default it is off! The checkmark is on the same tab, after switching requires a restart of KM.

Lots of room for playing in KM, just not always very obvious, but that's what the forum is here for ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 08:03PM by siria.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 09, 2010 09:38PM

siria
Hi Tim, welcome to our favorite browser, glad you like it too smiling smiley smiling smiley

timtak
In Maxthon if you selected a piece of text and then drag it just a little, then the text is automatically sent to your search engine of choice.

There's no "flicker" that I know of, but perhaps a "normal" mouse gesture suffices too...?
Tools > Mouse Gestures > Manage actions > add
command: ID_NAV_SEARCH
Name whatever
Then click "configure mouse gestures" and choose one

command: macros(Search)

That'll search the selected text. ID_NAV_SEARCH will just bring up the search prompt.

Date: June 10, 2010 12:05AM

Wow thanks to Siria and Jsnj I have a mouse gesture, right drag, that searches.
It is really quick too - much quicker than maxthon.

(with regard to the links, I may use middle click)

Being greedy,

1) Is there a way of getting the Macro(search) to open that search in a new window?

In search.kmm the relevant line seems to be

_Search_Selected{
$OpenURL=$_Search_EngineURL.urlencode($_Search_Query); &OpenURL_Selected;
}

I tried changing that to

_Search_Selected{
$OpenURL_InNew=$_Search_EngineURL.urlencode($_Search_Query); &OpenURL_Selected;
}

But that stopped the drag-and-flick to search from working at all.

And being really greedy
2) Mouse gestures all require right click. Is there anyway to have a gesture do its stuff even without right click depressed? I guess that may mean that it would fire up every time I move my mouse. Maxthon tells when you are dragging something and does not require that you press the right mouse button. Not that it is much hassle.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 10, 2010 04:28AM

1) Is there a way of getting the Macro(search) to open that search in a new window?

F2(Preferences) - Browsing - Selected Text

Date: June 10, 2010 06:00AM

Wow. K-Meleon certainly is configurable.

I will use centre click for links and get used to right-clicking when doing mouse gestures.

Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2010 06:00AM by timtak.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.