General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bookmark Bar Gone
Posted by: Xuxin
Date: April 30, 2010 10:51PM

Hello everyone,

My bookmark bar is gone and the homepage has been changed to this wall of text.
Does anyone know the problem or the solution to this?

Thank you all very much in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bookmark Bar Gone
Posted by: guenter
Date: May 01, 2010 12:26AM

Xuxin
My bookmark bar is gone and the homepage has been changed to this wall of text.

Does anyone know the problem or the solution to this?

1.) Elucidate - quote ... whatever...

2.) Probable reason is a scandisk run after a windows crash (silent?).

Easiest solution (probably) - search previous profile (that is next to current one normally) and copy its content into current profile folder / best after backup of all. Since I can be wrong!

A scandisk run can harm a number of needed files. Possible for Your problem: prefs.js (Result: only some settings gone) of used profile or the profiles.ini (more probable) that contains the path to the used profile ( Result: many settings & bookmarks gone).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2010 12:33AM by guenter.

Posted by: Andrey Kuzmich
Date: January 28, 2011 01:56AM

I also have such problem (Bookmarks bar/editor gone), but I aproximately understand with what is it about.

First, why this happened in my way...
I have many, too many bookmarks. Not only bookmarks, but also many sessions. And someday on another new bookmark (or maybe session) the bookmark editor window refuses to start normally. But in MS Windows taskbar there is bookmarks specific tab, but pushing it lead us nowhere - it just wan't open.

Second, where the problem lies...
Yes, i know how to partially fix this, but not very happy with it. So, there are several metods, if I'm not mistaken:
1) delete some bookmarks from file bookmarks.html
2) renew file prefs.js, -- but too many settings gone, and it's very sad.

But now, the first method doesn't work, works only second. And, as I said, it's not very funny solution. All this methods I'm not find very cool.

I looked a little through the settings of file prefs.js and compared them with new one, changed some suspicious staff, but it's also didn't help.

If you want some settings from my file prefs.js, here they are (as is - without my changes):
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.height", 848);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.left", -1082069294);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.top", -53159788);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.width", 1083309314);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.load", true);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.toolbarFolder", "Personal Toolbar Folder");
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.break", 0);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.index", 1);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.size", 210);
user_pref("kmeleon.toolband.Bookmarks.visibility", true);

Also, there is a file prefs-1.js, looks like some old version of original. Maybe I done it someday and forgot. In any case it doesn't affect the situation.

This is old problem, but i always hope that some new versions of k-meleon get rid of this disease and it's always not. Heh.

Please, help.

Sincerely yours,
Andrey Kuzmich

Posted by: Andrey Kuzmich
Date: January 28, 2011 02:59AM

As always... some time and i resolved the problem. Here is solution.

Problem rows in file prefs.js:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.left", -1082069294);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.top", -53159788);

Just change negative values to something near 80. Must be like this:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.left", 80);
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.bookmarks.editdialog.top", 80);

It's all - Bookmarks editor window now will be in front of your eyes, when you push proper button. Seems to be it always existed, but somewhere far beyond the visible edge of screen. What he did there - a good question, may be for developers. And a little note what interfere me: do not do all this changes with runing k-meleon, because when you close it, it overwrites new values with old ones.

Second thing, witch might happened: loss of the Bookmark button itself. As I remember, it's simple thing: delete some rows from bookmarks.html.

Farewell!
Sincerely yours,
Andrey Kuzmich

Posted by: siria
Date: January 29, 2011 12:36AM

Good find smiling smiley
I don't know much about "bookmarks", just remember there was a really old thread that said that the number was limited :-/ No idea if that's still the case.

Just a little general tip for changing prefs.js: Almost all that stuff can also be toggled 'live', by going to the page about:config. The effect is the same, this changes automatically the prefs.js, but you don't need restarting for most changes, and you can use the filter line to find all the searched prefs together, very handy smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2011 12:37AM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.