General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
The real memory hog.
Posted by: gman2083
Date: March 26, 2010 12:17PM

Firefox has gotten a bad rap for using memory like crazy, and it does, but Opera is worse. On my laptop....
Opera with 1 tab open Facebook - 124K
Firefox with 1 tab open Facebook - 112K
Kmeleon with 2 tabs open Facebook & Forum 39K

The speed of Kmeleon 1.6 is tremendous. Can't wait for the official release.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The real memory hog.
Posted by: Rockspecht
Date: March 26, 2010 12:25PM

Opera uses a lot memory for the "reopen a closed tab feature", please don't forget that. Does Fx actually have a similar feature by default? I don't know. I'm excited to see km 1.6's speed, but I don't want to mess around with unofficial releases as well as how huge Fx's memory usage will be once they release their new Javascript engine. It might skyrocket there once more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 12:29PM by Rockspecht.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 26, 2010 01:23PM

Rockspecht
Opera uses a lot memory for the "reopen a closed tab feature", please don't forget that.

Admitting that you are right, raises at least 2 questions worth to think about.
1. What's the large benefit of storing closed tabs in memory anyway?
2. Gets respective alocated memory released by clearing the list of opened tabs?

Posted by: siria
Date: March 26, 2010 01:39PM

KM has a "Re-Open last closed tab" feature too...

Posted by: Rockspecht
Date: March 26, 2010 03:57PM

Yogi
Rockspecht
Opera uses a lot memory for the "reopen a closed tab feature", please don't forget that.

Admitting that you are right, raises at least 2 questions worth to think about.
1. What's the large benefit of storing closed tabs in memory anyway?

Honestly, it's one of the many many features of Opera I rarely use. I have the sites I open and close all day long as bookmarks/speed dial windows and would have no problem to abandon it at all. I wish there was a way to disable it if it would decrease Opera's memory usage significantly. Not sure about other people though.

2. Gets respective alocated memory released by clearing the list of opened tabs?

It does, unless you have a certain caching option enabled.

Posted by: Yogi
Date: March 26, 2010 06:39PM

@ Rockspecht

Being a long time Opera user I can give some answers to both questions.

1. The only benefit is that opening of closed tabs will be performed instantly since all the data is already loaded into memory. The downside is an increased usage of memory for this little benefit.

Rockspecht
It does, unless you have a certain caching option enabled.

2. It doesn't and never did for me at least.
Besides, setting certain values for memory cache, according to your specs is the only way to keep memory usage quite low. Same applies for disk cache which turned off wouldn't make any sense.

Can't tell much about Opera 10.5x which I'm reluctant to use at this stage (it was prematurely rushed because of the ballot screen and this might prove to be a shot in the legg), but I assume that memory handling didn't change much except its usage got higher due to the new engines.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 26, 2010 06:58PM

I have never used Opera but I do use undo last closed in KM. Did you know you can set the max number of undo operations. Mine is set at 5, but I seldom do more than 2. SESSIONS - OPTIONS is where you can set your max number.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 26, 2010 08:15PM

gman2083
Firefox has gotten a bad rap for using memory like crazy, and it does, but Opera is worse. On my laptop....
Opera with 1 tab open Facebook - 124K
Firefox with 1 tab open Facebook - 112K
Kmeleon with 2 tabs open Facebook & Forum 39K

The speed of Kmeleon 1.6 is tremendous. Can't wait for the official release.

Opera's newest JScript engine is reported to use lots of memory.

Firefox (plus what XUL extensions?) XUL can be big! Can be sqlite files, additionally?

K-Meleon 1.6. does not suffer from both reasons above - but is like any Gecko based browser set to use all unused RAM because unused available RAM is idle RAM.

Are You sure that You used FF and K-M for identical location/session to compare?
If so - it is a nice find. Looking forward too, more than ever - IFF smiling smiley

p.s. Fast backward identical with Opera's (which had it earlier) similar feature was introduced for GRE 1.8 - current K-Meleon 1.5.4 has that already ( all since 1.0 smiling smiley ). So all 3 browsers have that feature - since long.

XUL extensions' size. Remember: Firefox needs several XUL extensions to offer anything like Opera or even K-Meleon have out of the box. Even something basic like FF's mouse gestures is an extension!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2010 10:29PM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: March 28, 2010 03:04AM

JamesD
I have never used Opera but I do use undo last closed in KM. Did you know you can set the max number of undo operations. Mine is set at 5, but I seldom do more than 2. SESSIONS - OPTIONS is where you can set your max number.

well I have used Opera for several years now (and using latest release - v10.51)

the "real" RAM hog for all browsers is "adobe flash"
try opening a lots of tabs and view sites that are flash-heavy and all of you will see the true meaning of the phrase "memory hog"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 03:04AM by 4td8s.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 28, 2010 03:53AM

4td8s
JamesD

well I have used Opera for several years now (and using latest release - v10.51)

the "real" RAM hog for all browsers is "adobe flash"
try opening a lots of tabs and view sites that are flash-heavy and all of you will see the true meaning of the phrase "memory hog"

4td8s,

Which is why KM's Flashblock is so nice (along with AdBlock Plus, of course!)

N

Posted by: penang
Date: March 28, 2010 05:36AM

Yogi
Can't tell much about Opera 10.5x which I'm reluctant to use at this stage
I know this is the KM forum but since we are talking about Opera ...

My advise to you is DON'T !!

I got screwed by the 10.51 version of Opera.

Soon as the damn thing was downloaded (Opera dl the thing automatically) and soon as I agreed to upgrade, Opera shuts off and then returns, wiping out {b]ALL{/b] the configurations I've made with Opera !!

If you have your Opera 10 set up and running properly, stay there.

At least until they have given version 10.5x enough tortures to ensure that it won't screw up anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2010 05:38AM by penang.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 28, 2010 11:19AM

opera 10.5 was definitely released in a rush because of the choice screen they want to offer a release at par in js speed.

ironically, existing opera users with previous versions were not offered the 10.5 through the updater..which makes it obvious that opera devs know that 10.5 isn't a final product and has bugs

Posted by: jemmi
Date: April 05, 2010 11:39AM

Following what you all said about the real hog, i also think that adobe flash is one of the biggest. Fortunatly, KM is here but not only for the flashblock, I really enjoy surfing with KM and flash. Well, thinking windows like 'linux', i always have been thinking that windows was over-using this partition C:. So i tried repartioning and i also just have won speed by dividing the partioning of my disk into a dedicated partition for virtual mem and a dedicated disk for temp files. I deactivated the 'windows restaure' and 'trash' features of these partitions. And with all that, KM and even Firefox are like 'boosted', so i quite can surf the new YouTube like any other website!!! I'm wondering now what if i create a partition for cache files only with a dedicated block size...

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 05, 2010 02:02PM

@ jemmi
Date: April 05, 2010 07:39AM

I forget the reason but I read some where that when moving the VM to a dedicated disk it is best to leave a small VM on the disk where Window is located.

BTW, off-hand placing the cache (not windows/IE cache) on a dedicated disk may be a good idea. If you try it please post the result as I would be inteest to know.

Thanks.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 05, 2010 02:19PM

disrupted
opera 10.5 was definitely released in a rush because of the choice screen they want to offer a release at par in js speed.

ironically, existing opera users with previous versions were not offered the 10.5 through the updater..which makes it obvious that opera devs know that 10.5 isn't a final product and has bugs

I was so impressed with Opera 10a that I figured it was pretty much good to go as is. I wonder what they changed. I just downloaded it yesterday so I guess I'll find out. If I recall correctly, 10a's Update link informed me of 10.5 put I too had to search for it.

So far the only reasons I necessarily prefer KM over Opera 10+ is the ease and vastness with which KM can be customized and Opera has an inherent feature (I forget what) that I don't like

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.